Why You’re (Probably) Wrong About The Meaning of Life

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sculptor

Re: Why You’re (Probably) Wrong About The Meaning of Life

Post by Sculptor »

Without reading the article, I assume being wrong about the MoL is due to the simple fact that you think there is one.
How could there be?
Just pick one for yourself and stop pretending you have the ultimate answer. 42 is as good as any other.
Phil8659

Post by Phil8659 »

Does life have any meaning or purpose at all? What is the meaning of my life?
Asserting an anthropomorphism as a supposed philosophical question is a blatant oxymoron, but it does indicate that the editors of Philosophy Now are not even competent enough to actually make a magazine on philosophy.

By definition of a mind as a life support system, it uses grammar systems to aid in virtual modeling so that we can predict the results of any particular or group of particular behaviors. As a thing is a binary expression, of a relative constrained by correlatives, meaning is the relative. I can ask what I mean, or what you mean, and a convention of names can accommodate that inquiry, but what a life means, or a tree means, which neither of them are even literate, is the quest of someone who needs professional help.

Maybe, my view is the sign of being mentally handicapped, a childhood trauma, for never being able to find a suitable pet rock, or a pooka that I could trust enough to confide in.

As what may be predicated of anything is wholly determined by the definition of that thing, including the mind of man, a functional mind cannot mean anything that is not related to doing its biologically defined job.

The Article is just another example of witless trash.

Post by Age »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:21 pm Without reading the article, I assume being wrong about the MoL is due to the simple fact that you think there is one.
How could there be?
Just pick one for yourself and stop pretending you have the ultimate answer. 42 is as good as any other.
Being (probably) wrong 'about' the meaning of life could, obviously, also include being wrong 'about' there being NO meaning of life as well.

Or, do you BELIEVE that this could not be a possibility?

Post by Age »

Phil8659 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:35 am
Asserting an anthropomorphism as a supposed philosophical question is a blatant oxymoron, but it does indicate that the editors of Philosophy Now are not even competent enough to actually make a magazine on philosophy.

By definition of a mind as a life support system, it uses grammar systems to aid in virtual modeling so that we can predict the results of any particular or group of particular behaviors. As a thing is a binary expression, of a relative constrained by correlatives, meaning is the relative. I can ask what I mean, or what you mean, and a convention of names can accommodate that inquiry, but what a life means, or a tree means, which neither of them are even literate, is the quest of someone who needs professional help.

Maybe, my view is the sign of being mentally handicapped, a childhood trauma, for never being able to find a suitable pet rock, or a pooka that I could trust enough to confide in.

As what may be predicated of anything is wholly determined by the definition of that thing, including the mind of man, a functional mind cannot mean anything that is not related to doing its biologically defined job.

What makes you ASSUME that there even is some 'mind of man' thing', anyway?
Phil8659

Post by Phil8659 »

Age wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:30 am

Oh, it is not an assumption, I take it for granted, that from time to time, some happy soul is born with one. I don't think it is anything you have to worry about though. Also, I do believe in what has been stated many times over the last couple thousand years, those that cannot even agree upon the meaning of terms can think no better than a vegetable.

Post by Age »

Phil8659 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:42 am
Age wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:30 am

Oh, it is not an assumption, I take it for granted, that from time to time, some happy soul is born with one.
What is a 'soul'? And,

What is this 'thing' that you refer to as a 'mind', which you also say and claim some 'soul' thing is born with one of?

You are FREE to take absolutely ANY thing for granted. If, however, you can EXPLAIN what 'they' are, EXACTLY, which you take for granted, will yet to be SEEN.
Phil8659 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:42 am I don't think it is anything you have to worry about though.
OFF TOPIC and ATTEMPTED DETRACTION.
Phil8659 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:42 am Also, I do believe in what has been stated many times over the last couple thousand years, those that cannot even agree upon the meaning of terms can think no better than a vegetable.
Let us SEE if 'your' OWN meanings of terms can be agreed upon, and/or whether 'you' can even agree upon "other's" meaning of terms.

Also, and by the way, will 'you' provide some of these alleged examples, of where it has been supposedly stated, many times over the last couple of thousand of years, that those who cannot even agree upon the meaning of terms can think no better than a vegetable?

If no, then WHY NOT?

Are you absolutely SURE that this has been stated MANY times, over the last couple thousand years?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Age wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:24 am
Sculptor wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:21 pm Without reading the article, I assume being wrong about the MoL is due to the simple fact that you think there is one.
How could there be?
Being (probably) wrong 'about' the meaning of life could, obviously, also include being wrong 'about' there being NO meaning of life as well.

If you were not so stupid you would know that since everyone seems to haver their own meaning, then chose one and be honest is the ONLY solution, being equivalent to "no meaning".

I note you managed to avoid the real point of my post
"How could there be?"
Too scared to answer that?

Post by Age »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:40 am
How could there be?

If you were not so stupid you would know that since everyone seems to haver their own meaning, then chose one and be honest is the ONLY solution, being equivalent to "no meaning".
So, 'you' have your OWN meaning, AND "others" ALSO have their OWN meaning, which, literally, MEANS there are MANY meanings, but 'you' STILL BELIEVE there is absolutely NO meaning, AT ALL.

Oh, and 'you' ALSO BELIEVE that it is 'I' WHO is SO STUPID, correct?
Sculptor wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:40 am I note you managed to avoid the real point of my post
"How could there be?"
LOL NO I AM NOT SCARED AT ALL TO ANSWER 'that'.

I just did NOT answer 'that', AGAIN, here because I have ALREADY answered 'that' ELSEWHERE.

But if 'you' REALLY want CHALLENGE 'I' about 'that', then, "How could there be [A meaning to Life]?" is the EXACT SAME WAY there IS A meaning to EVERY OTHER WORD. That is; 'you', human beings, MAKE UP and GIVE 'meaning' to 'things'.

And, if ANY one IS SERIOUS and REALLY wants to KNOW what the meaning of Life IS, EXACTLY, then all one has to do is just LOOK IN a dictionary to FIND and SEE what 'The meaning of Life' IS.

And, WHEN I LOOKED 'The meaning of Life' IS, living; being alive. Which, absolutely NO one could REFUTE.

Therefore, 'The meaning of Life' IS - living, being alive.

Now, if ANY one would like to CHALLENGE 'Me' on what is the purpose of Life, and/or what is the purpose of human beings' life, then just let me know.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Age wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:59 am

So, 'you' have your OWN meaning, AND "others" ALSO have their OWN meaning, which, literally, MEANS there are MANY meanings, but 'you' STILL BELIEVE there is absolutely NO meaning, AT ALL.

Sculptor wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:40 am I note you managed to avoid the real point of my post
"How could there be?"

I just did NOT answer 'that', AGAIN, here because I have ALREADY answered 'that' ELSEWHERE.
I love this Forum.
In one day we get extreme ignorance alongside extreme hubris.
One clown characterises a world of hate "the Left"; and places inside that construction everything he fears, and now this clown thinks he knows "The Meaning of Life", and presumably ".. the Universe, and Everything".
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Philosophy Now wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:48 pm Lewis Vaughn asks what it’s all about.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/147/Wh ... ng_of_Life
I remember when I was going to college there was a lot of talk about nothing being chiseled in stone outside of the universe for anyone to look at and come up with absolute answers concerning things like the meaning of life--that there were no such answers to be found aside from following your own best judgment and discovering through trial and error. Now that I see a lot of people turning to the bible for answers, I'm curious what the latest is on that in academia.

Post by Age »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:51 pm
Age wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:59 am

"How could there be?"

I love this Forum.
In one day we get extreme ignorance alongside extreme hubris.
One clown characterises a world of hate "the Left"; and places inside that construction everything he fears, and now this clown thinks he knows "The Meaning of Life", and presumably ".. the Universe, and Everything".
If ANY thing I have SAID and CLAIMED here is wrong and can be refuted, then just say so, by POINTING OUT ANY errors you can see. Otherwise just resorting to making ASSUMPTIONS and ACCUSATIONS, while 'trying to' ATTACK the 'person', and NOT the 'words' presented, just SHOWS and REVEALS MORE about 'you' than it does 'me'.
puto

Post by puto »

Ataraxia and the skeptics following Pyrro and the ought about knowledge. Reasonableness in their matters, yes, there was no certainty. Plato and Socrates wanted to find the truth. The article was really existential and true about the mysteries of life. Believing, in a paraphrase of Pojman, “...Understand moral concepts and justify moral principles and theories.” Into appraising, ethical inquiry guiding behavior. But, then of course, it comes back to a belief. Mackie and Moral Nihilism, I am not. Deontology that is doing one’s duty, I am into understanding. Believing, in Pojman or so as I was taught his strong thesis of a moral life.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

The meaning of life is that everyone must choose the answer to that question for themselves. No one can write your story for you.