What is a Person?

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

What is a Person?

Post by Philosophy Now »

Each answer below receives a book. Apologies to the entrants not included.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/149/What_is_a_Person
popeye1945

Re: What is a Person?

Post by popeye1945 »

What is a Person? A person is a process of experiences or that which experiences, a process never complete ever-growing until death.
trokanmariel

Post by trokanmariel »

What is a person:

I am a time as suspension for cultural bullshit, of the evolution reality's non-safety from its cultural bullshit safety via theology. I am of the current progress, that the assortment of images from modernity matrix code, to evolution's non-safety via its safety mainframe is an overcome to the relay chain of the exploration of symmetry machine's Mexico to beat the British nightclub scene, via Mia Torretto's identity matter's copy hardprint of evolution's non-safety via its safety (an Antonio Banderas reference).

I am a geography of matrix observation, to the usual national observation of story from magic is from story from reality (Jack Shephard's Season 3 climax echo, as incumbent to all that follows), in which the structure of the same geography's matrix observation consists of the days computation network's separation of other people's belongings/experience versions is the universal means to emotion from Heather Langenkamp's means to job security as Robert Englund activation of no Freddy Krueger mythology (for Naveen Andrews).

I am aware, of the convergence sociology, from sociology theology's copy base; it is the universal stigma, of intellectualism of concentration distribution using its aftermath meta from publication activity as a universal stigma.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

A person, an anonymous organism who through interactions with a social context acquires a relational identity. That which was anonymous is now distinctive among anonymous organisms constantly adding to this distinction through its relational interactions with its context/environment until it dies and is mourned as that relational entity. In isolation, the organism would remain anonymous as simply that which experiences--- or not!!--lol!!

Post by Age »

A 'person', to me, is the thoughts and emotions, within a human body.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

The question then is thoughts and emotions about what, if not the context it finds itself in. In social isolation he would not need to identify others nor be identified, he then would not be a person. He would then be an organism or that which experiences the natural environment and does what is necessary to remain in being. Society/culture creates persons.
Last edited by popeye1945 on Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Age »

popeye1945 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:53 pm The question then is thoughts and emotions about what,
ABSOLUTELY ANY thing.

It does NOT matter. It is 'thought' AND 'emotions', themselves, that is what makes 'a person'; a person.

popeye1945 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:53 pm if not the context it finds itself in. In social isolation he would not need to identify others nor be identified, he then would not be a person. He would then be an organism or that which experiences the natural environment and that which does what is necessary to remain in being. Society/culture creates persons.
The rest was and is moot.

By the way if you would like to better make sure your clarifying questions posed to me get answered I suggest that you quote me with my username here so that I get informed about them.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Featherless biped of course
Phil8659

Post by Phil8659 »

Once again, Sophistic trash.

we are the biological product of a brain called mind: As such we have a well-defined biologically determined job to perform, and well-defined physically determined method of doing that job. Both the point not only of the Bible, but explained by Plato.

So, you are telling me, when survival is of the most fit, that you do not even have a fit mind to live because you cannot even say what you are except to refer not to objective reality, but sophistry?

Pathetic.

And you call it intelligence when you are ignorant of what you are, why you are and how to do your biologically defined job? Really?

And then mods tell the people on their forum that they do not have anything worth putting into print. Really. What is the difference between trash and garbage except the spelling?
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

person - a creature that introspected.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

A person is a lot of experiencing protoplasm with an urge to reproduce.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

I thought a person was just a human body with a functioning mind.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

As a human being we are more than material bodies, we are "Knowers" and there are many different ways this has been defined by many different philosophers from different times. Aspects that characterize our lives as being human are reason, knowledge, freedom, responsibilities and more specifically personal identity.
Pattern-chaser

Post by Pattern-chaser »

I am a person. You can use me as an example, if you like? Although there are many, many, other examples; around 8,000,000,000, I think. 🤔🤔🤔
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Whatever a "person" is, it must be some quality or characteristic that separates us from, inanimate objects that behave according to mechanistic laws of the universe, machines we program and use, and flora and fauna that we eat.

Otherwise, we'd be cannibals, slavers or lifeless trinkets.