Alexander Zinoviev

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

Alexander Zinoviev

Post by Philosophy Now »

Alexander Zinoviev is a scientist, a writer, a painter, and a member of the Department of Ethics at Moscow State University. The author of many books analysing contemporary society, he was for over twenty years an exile in Germany, and became a German citizen. Now he has returned to Russia. This interview is by his colleague in the Department of Ethics, Professor Alexander Razin (a contributing editor of Philosophy Now).

https://philosophynow.org/issues/26/Alexander_Zinoviev
Nick_A

Re: Alexander Zinoviev

Post by Nick_A »

Hello Alexander
I can add the following. When I was a young man, I was lucky in the sense that I was born and grounded in the Soviet Union. I was lucky not because everything around me was communistic, but because all the social processes that I was interested in could be observed in the same way as in a laboratory. And I am lucky now, too. I find myself in post-Soviet Russia, and what I see here is a paradise for an investigator: the possibility to see all the social processes of a new type of human community. Until recently I worked alone as an investigator, but now I am organizing a scientific center. I hope to convert it into a serious organization for the investigation of contemporary social processes. I invite the readers of Philosophy Now who have a particular scientific interest to cooperate with it.
Though being born in America, my ancestors are Russian and Armenian with certain well known connections to pre-revolutionary art. It seems to me that science and art dedicated to the truth of the human condition are complimentary for investigating social processes. Repin, Shishkin, Aivazovsky etc, all projected a depth missing in post-revolutionary art. What happened? It does seem this research can compliment what science can reveal about social processes
Annette Campbell

Re: Alexander Zinoviev

Post by Annette Campbell »

Alexander Zinoviev, a professor turned popular author known for his caustic satires of Soviet life, died in Moscow. He was a startling defender of Communism after its demise. He was 83. His widow, Olga, told him that he died of brain cancer. Mr. Zinoviev grew up in a large peasant family and went on to become a renowned logician before producing withering, surrealistic mockeries of Communist Russia that were compared to Hobbes, Swift, and Voltaire's writings.