Interpersonal Peace & Refusing Abuse

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

Interpersonal Peace & Refusing Abuse

Post by Philosophy Now »

Jessica Park shares some personal lessons in peace.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/105/Interpersonal_Peace_and_Refusing_Abuse
jayjacobus

Re: Interpersonal Peace & Refusing Abuse

Post by jayjacobus »

Philosophy Now wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:50 am Jessica Park shares some personal lessons in peace.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/105/In ... sing_Abuse
Some people are mentally tough, capable, smart and able to overcome most hardships. These people don’t let hardships paralyze them. Even in the face of overwhelming hardships, they carry on. Mental toughness is their strength.

Other people may be capable and smart but, if they are not mentally tough, they can become paralyzed.

The people who are mentally tough are resilient. The people who are not mentally tough are fragile.

The author was resilient. Her ex-husband was not.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

........... But I had learned two major things that are important for stopping interpersonal violence, that would in turn help to create personal peace. First, I stopped letting my abuser define what was happening; second, I stopped taking the blame for his violence. Although I would have liked my ex to recognize that he is an abusive alcoholic, naming injustice and standing up against it does not require agreement or cooperation from the oppressor. In fact, the only possibility for him to recognize his abuse was for me to name it and to refuse to participate in his euphemistic justification of it.
How many times do we read the above.

The author also has to recognize her part in this scenario.
Walker

Post by Walker »

reasonvemotion wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:49 pm The author also has to recognize her part in this scenario.
What part in the scenario could possibly invite abuse?
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

To keep the abusive relationship alive, the victim has to keep giving the abuser "another chance" and without these "chances" the relationship would disintegrate.