Happiness & Meaning

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

Happiness & Meaning

Post by Philosophy Now »

attofishpi

Re: Happiness & Meaning

Post by attofishpi »

Philosophy Now wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:06 pm by Rick Lewis

https://philosophynow.org/issues/147/Ha ... nd_Meaning
Yes. I think this was the original introduction to a particular issue some time ago, extremely well written and conveyed - for one to ponder what at least brings oneself fulfillment to life itself.

Happiness is key to me personally. When I talk to my nephew in particular - he has that pursuit for knowledge, and when younger would say he wants to be rich and famous! (he was always confident and extravert). Many years later he told me he wants to be happy, and that would involve a comfortable home of enough wealth to sustain a happy family environment. I thought, finally he 'gets' it.
Love that little man. (I still call him that, from probably age of five to 22 now) It's great having little philosophical chats with him, and he blows my mind - I know he smokes weed and thinks outside the box with his friends - brainstorming ideas - he'll grow out of it, when the time is right and realises a clear head gets you the answers from many of those storms.. (me thinks)

No point being rich unless you are happy. No point being of great knowledge, unless it makes you happy. No point being famous, unless it's unavoidable in your pursuit of doing what you love, which will make you happy - who wants to be hounded everywhere you go! (maybe some, maybe that too will make them happy, I have no idea why).

For some being happy is truly being free - I saw an interview recently on utube of a bloke that loves hiking, with a couple of dogs he met along his way, and has been doing it for at least 15 years. Sleeping in the outdoors with the canopy of stars as his roof. This was in the US, and I know it gets very cold. He didn't mention that his travels take him seasonally, but I for one would hope so! Back to the point, he was very happy with his alternative to general society way of living. People would give him money as they walked past him, I think more since he had these dogs. From memory he would sit in a town centre with a piece of cardboard asking for money to feed his dogs - was working very well :D

Lovely article Rick. But yep, whatever makes one happy I think is important for ones self - but unfortunately some think taking from others - which makes the other ********* will make themselves happy. I don't think it does, I don't think such a person has any idea how to be happy, unfortunately.

Of course, mental illness especially in the form of depression wipes all the above out.