A Philosophical Autobiography

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

A Philosophical Autobiography

Post by Philosophy Now »

Robin Wynyard reflects on his philosophical journey, and how this has influenced his thoughts about ageing.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/143/A_Philosophical_Autobiography
Ansiktsburk

Re: A Philosophical Autobiography

Post by Ansiktsburk »

Philosophy Now wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:42 am Robin Wynyard reflects on his philosophical journey, and how this has influenced his thoughts about ageing.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/143/A_ ... obiography
Not even 60 yo yet, I’m a bit of a oldie rookie. I did enjoy the article but I didn’t quite get the message. To start with some descartian point and by trial and error find yourself. At least remembering vividly Neil on the moon and the 68 olympics (even if 100 meters running made no sense to me) I think I have SOME routine, as well as the years when pretty girls found me attractive well behind me. Those wrinkles as well as the times per kilometer running are a bit disheartening, but otherwise, I do only learn more and more. Sure, the class beloning experience took me a good while to understand, that we indeed are construed by the guys around us, and I guess what the article author said about working class upbringing also kind of counts for me too, even though work at the university was out of the question for a clever guy where I came from. Engineering, and a life among the nerds was what you got. It was not until 2008 that I found some time to take a university evening time course in history if ideas and have been reading Philosophy on my spare time ever since. Guess I was born a Philosopher but maybe I’m too much of a philosopy rookie to really understand. Guess I’ll continue doing what I’m doing right now, just read, live and learn, trying to enjoy the joyride. At least for the time being. If I manage to get to 74, I just might see it differently.