Islamic Rationalism

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

Islamic Rationalism

Post by Philosophy Now »

Rationalism is the attitude of appealing to reason as the fundamental justification of knowledge or beliefs. Imadaldin Al-Jubouri describes the disputes among early Islamic scholars about the limits of what can be known through science and rationality.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/60/Islamic_Rationalism
Veritas Aequitas

Re: Islamic Rationalism

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Where is the full article?
Islamic Rationalism
Rationalism is the attitude of appealing to reason as the fundamental justification of knowledge or beliefs. Imadaldin Al-Jubouri describes the disputes among early Islamic scholars about the limits of what can be known through science and rationality.
The early period of rationalism in Islamic thought was led by a school of thinkers known as the Mutazilites (‘isolationists’), in the second half of the first century of Islam (7th Century, CE). It is very difficult to research the Mutazilites’ early years in the Hijaz, Egypt and Iraq, except for what was mentioned by historians such as al-Tabari and al-Nobikhti, who said that “they involve themselves only with science, knowledge and worship.”

The first group of Mutazilite thinkers were Mabad al-Juhni (d.702 CE), al-Ju’d ibn Drhim (d.721), the Damascene Ghaylan (d....
Islamic Rationalism is an oxymoron.

What is Islamic is constituted solely by what is in the Quran.
A Muslim is one who had entered into a divine contract with Allah and is thus contractually bound to comply with all the terms of the contract which is in the Quran only.
A Muslim and being Islamic must comply literally with what is the Quran thus leaving no provision for any Muslim to rationalize the Quran.
Therefore Islamic Rationalism is an oxymoron.

Note:
  • In contemporary Salafi jihadism, the epithet or supposed allegations of being a Muʿtazilite have sometimes been used between rival groups as a means of denouncing their credibility.
    -wiki
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

You started a whole thread about the applications of hermaneutics a couple of weeks ago. Have you already forgotton what it means?
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:34 am You started a whole thread about the applications of hermaneutics a couple of weeks ago. Have you already forgotton what it means?
I did not claim I agreed with every aspects of hermeneutics, especially where Rorty stated it can extend to 'anything goes' even mysticism and religions.

What I stated above is in accordance to what is expected from the constitution of Islam, i.e. God's words in the Quran where there are no stronger alternative interpretations to the points I presented above.