Ethics of the Future

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

Ethics of the Future

Post by Philosophy Now »

Alexander Joy on the importance of not hurting future people.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/130/Ethics_of_the_Future
owl of Minerva

Re: Ethics of the Future

Post by owl of Minerva »

Supposedly Native Americans planned for seven generations ahead in terms of conserving their environment, especially the buffalo. Their descendants do not need the buffalo. Patricians supposedly also plan for several generations ahead in terms of education, property and investments. That may work if their descendants are not wastrels. Planning for all as a universal group; a species, might require passing on an ethical code; a way of perceiving life that benefits all under any circumstances that may arise. so pain for some is not gain for others.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

owl of Minerva wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:23 pm Supposedly Native Americans planned for seven generations ahead in terms of conserving their environment, especially the buffalo. Their descendants do not need the buffalo. Patricians supposedly also plan for several generations ahead in terms of education, property and investments. That may work if their descendants are not wastrels. Planning for all as a universal group; a species, might require passing on an ethical code; a way of perceiving life that benefits all under any circumstances that may arise. so pain for some is not gain for others.
which tribe told you this? in what language?

-Imp
Walker

Post by Walker »

In plain sight for everyone to see, corrupt old politicians enslave seven generations with crushing debt, for no reason worth the cost, and the consequences will mold future ethics.

Revolution or war would change that course.
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

corrupt old politicians enslave seven generations with crushing debt

Like Betsy DeVos do you mean, Walker? No, of course you don't mean Betsy DeVos ...

https://thehill.com/regulation/administ ... for-profit
owl of Minerva

Post by owl of Minerva »

"which tribe told you this? in what language? "

-Imp

I remember reading about it and hearing about it. I don't recall hearing it from Sun Bear who I met and had him sign a copy of his book which I, unfortunately, have since lost and even forgotten the title. Though I know it was good and contained a lot of tribal lore.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

owl of Minerva wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:02 pm "which tribe told you this? in what language? "

-Imp

I remember reading about it and hearing about it. I don't recall hearing it from Sun Bear who I met and had him sign a copy of his book which I, unfortunately, have since lost and even forgotten the title. Though I know it was good and contained a lot of tribal lore.
"Yes, I know of Sun Bear. He’s a plastic medicine man.”— Matthew King, Oglala Lakota Elder, 1985...

https://www.culturalsurvival.org/public ... dicine-men

-Imp
owl of Minerva

Post by owl of Minerva »

"Yes, I know of Sun Bear. He’s a plastic medicine man.”— Matthew King, Oglala Lakota Elder, 1985...

There is also a lot of controversy around Ward Churchill both in the Native American and non-native communities. His authenticity is questioned as a spokesperson for the native community and he has riled others as well. He is controversial in his statements; whether valid or not. He was fired for fraud and plagiarism.
owl of Minerva

Post by owl of Minerva »

An additional comment on this. Plastic can have two symbolic meanings: inauthentic and inflexible. Those who live in today's world and interact with it are no less authentic than those who, mistakenly, live in the past, in fundamentalism and orthodoxy. It is not respecting culture to not move on from it and to criticize those that do. There are universals in all cultures that apply to everyone. Haters like the author of the shared article combine bias with facts. The facts remain but those who transmit them with bias lose their credibility. The author of the article shared was rightly fired by his university.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

true, churchill is as fake as sun bear but the quotes from some of the members of AIM were not.

the environmentalist lies attributed to plastic medicine men do not stop with sun bear

-Imp
owl of Minerva

Post by owl of Minerva »

"the environmentalist lies attributed to plastic medicine men do not stop with sun bear"

Not familiar with what "the environmentalist lies" are. There is no reason to not be supportive of AIM or of any civil rights movement. The cultural thing is a thorny issue. Native Americans do have a right not to have their culture commercialized unduly. It is unlikely that knowledge of it could be confined to academic journals or to anthropological study. That may also also be considered invasive or exploitative.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

owl of Minerva wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:51 pm "the environmentalist lies attributed to plastic medicine men do not stop with sun bear"

Not familiar with what "the environmentalist lies" are. There is no reason to not be supportive of AIM or of any civil rights movement. The cultural thing is a thorny issue. Native Americans do have a right not to have their culture commercialized unduly. It is unlikely that knowledge of it could be confined to academic journals or to anthropological study. That may also also be considered invasive or exploitative.
again, which culture? there are over 600 distinct recognized tribes...

invasive?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlisle_ ... ial_School

genocide is a funny thing

-Imp
owl of Minerva

Post by owl of Minerva »

Culture: Overall Native American as contrasted with European.

What is your view separate and equal? Or assimilation?
Walker

Post by Walker »

owl of Minerva wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:23 pm Supposedly Native Americans planned ...
This is a good read.
Tough and brutal people.

Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History
https://www.amazon.com/Empire-Summer-Mo ... 1416591060
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

owl of Minerva wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:48 pm Culture: Overall Native American as contrasted with European.

What is your view separate and equal? Or assimilation?
Overall culture? just as all French are the same as all Germans ectara

separate ontologically perhaps, but equality is a political imposition

-Imp