At the Existentialist Park

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

At the Existentialist Park

Post by Philosophy Now »

Douglas Groothuis reports an unexpected meeting of minds.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/128/At_the_Existentialist_Park
Impenitent

Re: At the Existentialist Park

Post by Impenitent »

the setting is a bit ironic, but a clever conversation...

-Imp
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Kierkegaard was the greatest of philosophers--he and Socrates. I suppose.

Diogenes was no slouch himself, although, maybe he was.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:57 pm Kierkegaard was the greatest of philosophers--he and Socrates. I suppose.

Kierkegaard was a bleedin heart pussy.
If he'd had the strength to jettison god, he might have had something decent to say. As it is he whined and whinged and moaned about his angst about his crisis of faith and his pathetic banging on about suffering that he's sounded like crybaby.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:02 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:57 pm Kierkegaard was the greatest of philosophers--he and Socrates. I suppose.

If he'd had the strength to jettison god, he might have had something decent to say. As it is he whined and whinged and moaned about his angst about his crisis of faith and his pathetic banging on about suffering that he's sounded like crybaby.
I don't know. I think Kierkegaard was a noble person. He didn't hurt anyone, I don't think. Although he did get on the bad side of some of the revolutionaries of his day. But he loved Regina very much and I sort of fancy that he knew he was not the right man for her and did the right thing by tarnishing himself. In any case, I think Kierkegaard is right, that having a faith in God is the only thing that a truly despairing person can rightfully do, outside of just cave in and extinguish ourselves from the world.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

But I suppose you are right. He maybe wasn't' the "greatest of philosophers." But his life speaks to me.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:46 pm

I don't know. I think Kierkegaard was a noble person. He didn't hurt anyone, I don't think. Although he did get on the bad side of some of the revolutionaries of his day. But he loved Regina very much and I sort of fancy that he knew he was not the right man for her and did the right thing by tarnishing himself. In any case, I think Kierkegaard is right, that having a faith in God is the only thing that a truly despairing person can rightfully do, outside of just cave in and extinguish ourselves from the world.
Nothing I said implies that I did not think he was a harmless nobel, and loving person.
For my way of thinking Faith is giving in to despair.
In that way Albert Camus is on a higher plane of thinking. He never gave up , nor did he cave in. He lived life to the full, depite, no, by embracing angst, and overcoming it.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:18 pm
Nothing I said implies that I did not think he was a harmless nobel, and loving person.
In that way Albert Camus is on a higher plane of thinking. He never gave up , nor did he cave in. He lived life to the full, depite, no, by embracing angst, and overcoming it.
Well, I don't know if I would say "crybaby" and "noble" are things that are often said in the same breath.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

As far as Camus, Another good point. Perhaps there are adequate ways to deal with despair without faith in God. I suppose I shouldn't say that one must need God in order to overcome despair. But I don't think it hurts.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:06 am

Well, I don't know if I would say "crybaby" and "noble" are things that are often said in the same breath.
Jesus was a nobel crybaby, excpet in death he lost nobility. Compare and contrast the truly nobel death of Socrates with the pathetic "why hast thou.." crybaby Jesus response.

When I read K I just want to slap him in the face and tell him to get on with life. When I read Camus I want to put the book down and do some living.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:22 am

As far as Camus, Another good point. Perhaps there are adequate ways to deal with despair without faith in God. I suppose I shouldn't say that one must need God in order to overcome despair. But I don't think it hurts.
No.
The notion of god thrives on despair
The only way to free yourself from despair and live your life is to completely jettison god, and live your life as you see fit, on your terms, and not some 2000 year old guilt trip.

Nature has given you the balls, why be celibate?
Nature contrdicts god at every step.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:55 am

No.
The only way to free yourself from despair and live your life is to completely jettison god, and live your life as you see fit, on your terms, and not some 2000 year old guilt trip.

How does jettisoning God free us from despair? When I'm in despair I reach out to God for comfort and it feels comforting. It feels comforting to believe that God listens and understands. Without that there is only incomprehensible solitude and pain. When I reach out to other people, they don't understand. I just bring them down and they don't like to be brought down. They want to dance and play and do all the things that make them happy. They don't want to be bothered. So they shove a pill in my mouth and say, "leave us alone." And believe me, the pills don't make you feel good either. They make you feel dull and apathetic. But they dull the emotional pain so you're not crying all the time. So I do what I'm supposed to do, dull my mind so I don't bother anyone else.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:21 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:55 am

No.

How does jettisoning God free us from despair?
Because all your guilt and opression is from your religion
When I'm in despair I reach out to God for comfort and it feels comforting.
Self delusion. God gives you despair and you pretend that its fixed by appeal to the same slave owner that oput you in those chains.
It feels comforting to believe that God listens and understands.
SO says the slave to his master.
Without that there is only incomprehensible solitude and pain.
God gives you the pain.
LOL
When I reach out to other people, they don't understand. I just bring them down and they don't like to be brought down. They want to dance and play and do all the things that make them happy. They don't want to be bothered. So they shove a pill in my mouth and say, "leave us alone." And believe me, the pills don't make you feel good either. They make you feel dull and apathetic. But they dull the emotional pain so you're not crying all the time. So I do what I'm supposed to do, dull my mind so I don't bother anyone else.
Wow what a sad way to live.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:37 pm Wow what a sad way to live.
Yep. It is that.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:48 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:37 pm Wow what a sad way to live.
Yep. It is that.
I once had a conversation with a smoker. Why do you smoke - she said that I smoke because it eases my nerves.
But I pointed out to her that the reason she was nervous was because she had not had a smoke for half an hour and that the addiction was what was making her nervous in the first place. Just give up smoking and you will soon not need to smoke.

This is your experience with god.
All you have to do is give up god , and all the negative effects that you pray to relieve will disappear with your addiction to god.