At the Existentialist Park

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Re: At the Existentialist Park

Post by Gary Childress »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:36 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:48 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:37 pm Wow what a sad way to live.
Yep. It is that.
I once had a conversation with a smoker. Why do you smoke - she said that I smoke because it eases my nerves.
But I pointed out to her that the reason she was nervous was because she had not had a smoke for half an hour and that the addiction was what was making her nervous in the first place. Just give up smoking and you will soon not need to smoke.

This is your experience with god.
All you have to do is give up god , and all the negative effects that you pray to relieve will disappear with your addiction to god.
I don't think giving up God would have any effect on my depression and despair. It's a bit like saying that giving up God would cause someone to stop mourning the loss of a loved one. It takes time to get over, regardless of whether there be a God or not a God. It's just more comforting to think there is a God listening to my woes.

However, I suppose the possibility exists that there isn't a God at all. If there were, it seems difficult to understand why a God would put people through so much. To be honest, I don't think God should punish anyone for not believing in him or her. It's difficult to have faith in this world. Quite frankly this world sucks bullocks and God owes everyone an apology when it's over.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:36 pm All you have to do is give up god , and all the negative effects that you pray to relieve will disappear with your addiction to god.
Interesting point. It is true that since I gave up religion a long time ago: I have felt more free, grateful, loving, content, inspired, happy, and connected. Life is more beautiful and sacred now, without all the religious ideas and stories that foolishly and cruelly create separateness, distortion, fear, and even terror.
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:16 am Quite frankly this world sucks bullocks and God owes everyone an apology when it's over.
:lol: That seems reasonable to ask/expect. Humans who continually make up excuses for such a ridiculously convoluted idea as a god that encourages and allows so much torment, are not doing humankind any favors. We'd be better off moving beyond such toxic absurdity.

By recognizing our own potential, and our own hand, in the creation of our experience -- and loving ourselves despite our foolishness or blindness -- then we recognize our ABILITY! And the implications of that can empower us to create anew, moment to moment. There is no story we are locked into. It is WE who can set ourselves free from binding and fearful stories. It is the stories, themselves, that are depressing.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:16 am
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:48 pm

Yep. It is that.
I once had a conversation with a smoker. Why do you smoke - she said that I smoke because it eases my nerves.
But I pointed out to her that the reason she was nervous was because she had not had a smoke for half an hour and that the addiction was what was making her nervous in the first place. Just give up smoking and you will soon not need to smoke.

All you have to do is give up god , and all the negative effects that you pray to relieve will disappear with your addiction to god.
I don't think giving up God would have any effect on my depression and despair. It's a bit like saying that giving up God would cause someone to stop mourning the loss of a loved one. It takes time to get over, regardless of whether there be a God or not a God. It's just more comforting to think there is a God listening to my woes.

However, I suppose the possibility exists that there isn't a God at all. If there were, it seems difficult to understand why a God would put people through so much. To be honest, I don't think God should punish anyone for not believing in him or her. It's difficult to have faith in this world. Quite frankly this world sucks bullocks and God owes everyone an apology when it's over.
I did not expect you to listen. Addicts have to admit they have a problem first.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:16 am Quite frankly this world sucks bullocks and God owes everyone an apology when it's over.
Stop blaming god. Learn to suck your own boll*cks! You might feel better. You have no one to blame but yourself.

I had cancer a few years ago, and I often give advice on a FB page for people with the same area of tumor.
I often see people thanking god for their cure, or asking god for help. Who the F*ck created cancer in the first place?
I thank god for giving me cancer and thank human science for my cure.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:36 am

I did not expect you to listen. Addicts have to admit they have a problem first.
Maybe you're right. Maybe there is no God and I'm just talking to the walls. Do you ever talk to yourself?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:04 pm
Sculptor wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:36 am

Maybe you're right. Maybe there is no God and I'm just talking to the walls. Do you ever talk to yourself?
Of course.
But my answers always make more sense than when I used to talk to god.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Talking to a god that doesn't deliver or relieve or resolve... and then excusing the lack of response as something that's best for you, or something you deserve... is like being a beggar at a dried up watering hole. Desperately thirsty, delusion drives one to plead with the sand. And religion claims to have a map to the watering holes. 8)
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Lacewing wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:07 pm Talking to a god that doesn't deliver or relieve or resolve... and then excusing the lack of response as something that's best for you, or something you deserve... is like being a beggar at a dried up watering hole. Desperately thirsty, delusion drives one to plead with the sand. And religion claims to have a map to the watering holes. 8)
Wow, Lacewing! That is a very profound quote or aphorism. Kudos. :)
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:40 pm
Lacewing wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:07 pm Talking to a god that doesn't deliver or relieve or resolve... and then excusing the lack of response as something that's best for you, or something you deserve... is like being a beggar at a dried up watering hole. Desperately thirsty, delusion drives one to plead with the sand. And religion claims to have a map to the watering holes. 8)
:) It just came to me.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:51 am
Well, it sounds like you've put a lot of thought into it.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Gary Childress wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:55 am
Lacewing wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:51 am

Well, it sounds like you've put a lot of thought into it.
No, I really didn't.

Another thing that came to me today is that gods are actually false idols.