How On Earth Can We Be Free?

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

Re: How On Earth Can We Be Free?

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:08 am
bahman wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:45 am
Age wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:29 am

But I do have 'THAT' KNOWLEDGE.

WHY do you BELIEVE that 'I' can NEVER have the knowledge of the 'free decision'?
Because it is free. Because you can never know what I would want when I make a free decision.
What, to 'you', is a, supposed, "free" decision?
That even I cannot know it until I make it.

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:10 am
bahman wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:45 am
Because it is free. Because you can never know what I would want when I make a free decision.
Okay. So, have you made "free" decisions in the past?

If yes, then what were they?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:14 am

Like walking on a trail that I was not familiar with. Suddenly I realize that the trail forked. So I was wondering which way to take. I made my decision and that was the wrong trail.

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:19 am

Like walking on a trail that I was not familiar with. Suddenly I realize that the trail forked. So I was wondering which way to take. I made my decision and that was the wrong trail.
'wrong', relative, to 'what', EXACTLY?

Post by Age »

So, 'you' call that a "free decision". Now, that you have clarified this, let us get back to my original clarifying question:

What, to 'you', is a, supposed, "free" decision? In other words, what do the words 'free decision' actually mean, to you?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:21 am

It didn't take me to the destination I wanted.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:23 am

So, 'you' call that a "free decision". Now, that you have clarified this, let us get back to my original clarifying question:

What, to 'you', is a, supposed, "free" decision? In other words, what do the words 'free decision' actually mean, to you?
Free in here means independent of any bias.

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:25 am
So, that decision was NOT 'wrong' in and of itself. It was ONLY 'wrong' in relation to WHERE 'you' wanted to go, correct?

Now, considering that 'you' do NOT YET EVEN KNOW who NOR what 'you' ARE, then that decision was ONLY 'wrong' for some COMPLETELY INSIGNIFICANT destination ONLY at that particular AGAIN INSIGNIFICANT TINY MOMENT.

By the way, WHERE did you want to go, at that time, and WHERE did you end up?

Also, this is just DIVERTING AWAY from the issue, WHICH WAS, 'free decision' and WHAT a 'free decision' Truly IS.

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:26 am

Well OBVIOUSLY NON of that decision was independent of ANY bias, as you just got through EXPLAINING that 'that' decision was WRONG in relation to WHERE you WANTED TO GO, which is OBVIOUSLY 'a bias' in and of its OWN self.

You appear now to NOT have ANY REAL clue as to what a 'free decision' ACTUALLY IS.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:36 am

So, that decision was NOT 'wrong' in and of itself. It was ONLY 'wrong' in relation to WHERE 'you' wanted to go, correct?

Now, considering that 'you' do NOT YET EVEN KNOW who NOR what 'you' ARE, then that decision was ONLY 'wrong' for some COMPLETELY INSIGNIFICANT destination ONLY at that particular AGAIN INSIGNIFICANT TINY MOMENT.

Also, this is just DIVERTING AWAY from the issue, WHICH WAS, 'free decision' and WHAT a 'free decision' Truly IS.
It was a four days trail in Iran.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:38 am

Well OBVIOUSLY NON of that decision was independent of ANY bias, as you just got through EXPLAINING that 'that' decision was WRONG in relation to WHERE you WANTED TO GO, which is OBVIOUSLY 'a bias' in and of its OWN self.

You appear now to NOT have ANY REAL clue as to what a 'free decision' ACTUALLY IS.
Of course that was a free decision. How couldn't it be free when I didn't know which way to take?

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:38 am

It was a four days trail in Iran.
WHO CARES?

Also, CLEARLY NOTICED is that you NEVER even attempted to answer just ONE of the CLARIFYING QUESTIONS posed to you here.

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:40 am
Age wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:38 am

Of course that was a free decision. How couldn't it be free when I didn't know which way to take?
BECAUSE that decision was BIASED on WHERE 'you' WANTED TO GO. Which was, PREDETERMINED from YOUR previous experiences.
Advocate

Can We Be Free?

Post by Advocate »

Freedom means without constraint. Literally everything we can measure is a settled fact about the universe which acts as a constraint on our freedom. The only even apparent freedom we have is in the fact that we haven't measured everything around us. If we know just what everything is, we'd know just how it was going to act from a given input, including our inner parts. The fact that the universe is infinite and our brains not so much means that we will always have room via ignorance to FEEL free, but every time a measurement is taken, anywhere in the universe, the factual evidence that we are NOT FREE increases.
bahman

Post by bahman »

I am not talking about right or wrong. I am talking about a free decision. I couldn't be influenced by any trail.
Age wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:36 am Now, considering that 'you' do NOT YET EVEN KNOW who NOR what 'you' ARE,
Off-topic.
Age wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:36 am then that decision was ONLY 'wrong' for some COMPLETELY INSIGNIFICANT destination ONLY at that particular AGAIN INSIGNIFICANT TINY MOMENT.
But that decision has a significant impact on my trip.
Age wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:36 am Also, this is just DIVERTING AWAY from the issue, WHICH WAS, 'free decision' and WHAT a 'free decision' Truly IS.
Free decision is a decision that is not biased by options in a situation.