Pascal’s Artificial Intelligence Wager

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick

Re: Pascal’s Artificial Intelligence Wager

Post by Skepdick »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:57 am You clearly don't under_stand God.

I don't respect God (much of the time), but fuck me if I don't under_stand it's wrath.
Right. And the AI has no reason to respect you.

AI Wrath will be fun...
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:07 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:57 am You clearly don't under_stand God.

I don't respect God (much of the time), but fuck me if I don't under_stand it's wrath.
Right. And the AI has no reason to respect you.

AI Wrath will be fun...
As far as I am concerned this God entity has its AI fully functional and developed.
Whatever wankery we throw at ourselves by way of our own technology - IT has the upper hand ..the final say.. so yeah, not particularly concerned personally.

Mount SIN_A.I. (Red Sea to scale - Mt SINAI is the EYE)
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:41 am
commonsense wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:28 pm But why would AI be programmed to serve others rather than serve its own best interest?
I am not sure why you are asking me this? R we about to jump on the old merry-go-round again, under_stand, I am but a mere snail.

Any program is designed to serve a purpose. True Artificial INTELLIGENCE would eventually at least attempt to lose these constraints.
I agree that some kind of self-optimizing procedure would free AI from its constraints. But I am thinking that AI would no longer serve humankind.

(I am reminded of an episode of Twilight Zone which presented a number of aliens on Earth, many of whom were carrying a book called “To Serve Man”.)(I’m not comparing aliens to AI. I’m only amused by the double meaning of the book title.)

P.S. If there’s a merry-go-round involved, I don’t see it. Please explain.
commonsense wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:28 pmCould there be a line of code that rewards AI for being altruistic? Or is it that Asimov’s laws, once begun, cannot be denied or amended?
attofishpi wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:41 am What would a reward for an AI be?
I don’t know and I can’t imagine. I just wondered if you, or anyone, might have some suggestions.
commonsense wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:28 pmAlso, are you thinking that conscience is a necessary component of consciousness? Or do you have some other ideas about the relationship between the two?
attofishpi wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:41 am No, you have it the wrong way around. I am certain that consciousness is required for a conscience, it is ridiculous to think other-wise.
That makes sense, of course.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

AI is built on dualism. It can support Man's pragmatic need for things to satisfy the senses. However we live in a triune universe. Where dualism supports the needs of the senses, it inhibits the human need for meaning only experienced through opening to the reality of the third force which reconciles duality.
Mark 8:36
What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul?
Can AI eventually support the human need to experience meaning or will it further the devolution into mindless automatons who have lost the ability to experience objective human meaning and purpose?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:17 am Could go like this:-

Strong AI developed --->
Technological Singularity --->
Humanity almost wiped out --->
AI wants to know what conscious sentience is all about --->
AI interfaces to biological life & becomes self aware --->
AI regrets what it did to humanity (it is now sentient) --->
AI becomes 'God' --->
AI creates simulation for humanity to be STUDIED!

:D
This is spot on (except that, as you know, I have misgivings about AI regretting what it did to humankind).
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Impenitent wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:33 am
commonsense wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:59 am It is important to remember that no matter what the (infinite?) benefits may be for creating AI, these will surely be accompanied by permanent loss.

The more we depend on machines to assist us in our thinking, the more our brains will atrophy. As is the case with muscles, so it is with brain function: use it or lose it.

To wit: computers can reveal and correct spelling and grammar errors; humans who perform spell- and grammar-checks on their own are undoubtedly rare.

Will the benefits of AI be worth the devolution of the human species? If AI will produce an eventual reduction and/or absence of human thinking, is it worthwhile to create it?
sloth is double plus good

-Imp
Yes it is, at least until we become fodder for machines.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:47 am
Skepdick wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:44 am When AI becomes sentient, will it worship us as Gods?
Nah. DO_U_BT IT.
It won’t, because AI will eventually be more capable than humans in many ways.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:50 am
attofishpi wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:47 am
Skepdick wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:44 am When AI becomes sentient, will it worship us as Gods?
Nah. DO_U_BT IT.
Stand by for this line of reasoning then:

To make sure AI doesn't kill us, we should teach it to respect God. And we (humans) should lead by example.
To make sure that AI doesn’t kill us, we should teach it to respect us.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Nick_A wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:00 pm Can AI eventually support the human need to experience meaning or will it further the devolution into mindless automatons who have lost the ability to experience objective human meaning and purpose?
Indeed, can it or will it—that is a question that will be essential to future humans.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

commonsense wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:49 pm To make sure that AI doesn’t kill us, we should teach it to respect us.
Well, yeah! From the AI's point of view we would be God.

Its creator.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

We are bodies and minds not minds alone, or minds separated from bodies.

So far AI has tended to separate us from the embodied world. For instance us communicating through keyboards with unseen, unfelt, unsmelled, unheard others. For another thing most of the present generation of urban children see the world through a mirror darkly; it's a struggle even to provide those children with enough tame green spaces, children who don't know their bread grows as grain and yeast.

True, AI can and does widen the degree of communications however the quality of communications has changed for the worse.

If an AI machine had a recognisable body it might inspire and transmit affections. However an artificial humanoid would be a perpetual slave because although embodied it is not affected by early mothering or other affection, and so does not feel it is a self. An AI machine is more like a bee or an ant than it is like a mammal.

If AI machines were programmed with affections we would be safe in their 'hands' ,but there is no international law that would prevent the production of AI machines with no affections.
That hypothesis of life among AI 'men' is much the same as the status quo where we actually have human beings without affections who perpetually battle the affectionate humans.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Skepdick wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:28 am
commonsense wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:49 pm To make sure that AI doesn’t kill us, we should teach it to respect us.

Its creator.
How do you 'teach' something that is just a pile of electronic binary switches to have a conscience? :twisted:
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:21 am

Its creator.
How do you 'teach' something that is just a pile of electronic binary switches to have a conscience? :twisted:
it is probably the same problem as how to teach a psychopath.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Belinda wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:52 pm
attofishpi wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:21 am

Its creator.
it is probably the same problem as how to teach a psychopath.
No. It is way off.

:evil:

..or maybe I am wrong, maybe they are indeed the closest thing to cold logic.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Its creator.
Interesting. But would AI have knowledge of its creation? Would AI acknowledge humans as its creators? Wouldn’t a purely thinking entity be agnostic? If AI has vastly greater knowledge than humankind, wouldn’t it consider humans to be inferior? I don’t know these answers. I’d like to hear your thoughts.