Picking A Fight With Plato

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

Picking A Fight With Plato

Post by Philosophy Now »

Ed Fraser argues that the theory of recollection presented by Socrates in the Meno is circular.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/90/Picking_A_Fight_With_Plato
Nick_A

Re: Picking A Fight With Plato

Post by Nick_A »

I am suggesting that Socrates here commits what we might call the ‘Socratic Circle’. At the same time that he seems to say that he can establish that the slave boy’s true opinions are relearned on the basis that he has an immortal knowledge-providing soul, he also seems to say that we know the slave boy has a knowledge-providing soul on the basis that he has relearned true opinions. This reasoning is circular in a similar way to Descartes’. This has severe consequences, because unless Socrates can prove that the slave boy comes by the right answer in virtue of already knowing it in a past life, then the problem of enquiry is not solved by the theory of recollection, and the Platonic theory of knowledge cannot get off the ground.
Now compare with John 8
48 The Jews answered him, “Are we not right in saying that you are a Samaritan and have a demon?” 49 Jesus answered, “I do not have a demon, but I honor my Father, and you dishonor me. 50 Yet I do not seek my own glory; there is One who seeks it, and he is the judge. 51 Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death.” 52 The Jews said to him, “Now we know that you have a demon! Abraham died, as did the prophets, yet you say, ‘If anyone keeps my word, he will never taste death.’ 53 Are you greater than our father Abraham, who died? And the prophets died! Who do you make yourself out to be?” 54 Jesus answered, “If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say, ‘He is our God.’[a] 55 But you have not known him. I know him. If I were to say that I do not know him, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and I keep his word. 56 Your father Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day. He saw it and was glad.” 57 So the Jews said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?” 58 Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.” 59 So they picked up stones to throw at him, but Jesus hid himself and went out of the temple
Now we re left with the question of what a soul is and who has one. But as we have seen from the reactions Jesus got, the experts will throw rocks and whatever else they can find as reactions to this insulting observation. So a person must be very careful where such questions including the meaning of Plato's cave are discussed. No sense getting killed over it by a well placed rock from the hands of an educated expert.
"before Abraham was, I am."

Too insulting to tolerate.