An Essay on Nothing

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

An Essay on Nothing

Post by Philosophy Now » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:30 pm

Sophia Gottfried meditates on the emptiness of non-existence.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/136/An_Essay_on_Nothing

Impenitent

Re: An Essay on Nothing

Post by Impenitent » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:21 pm

nice essay...

fill the box with Schrodinger's cat...

-Imp

jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:53 am

One theory considers the possibility that a person who dies is not absolutely nothing.

Could be true and could be forever out of the box.

commonsense

Post by commonsense » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:43 pm

Perceptive Nothingness is simply not Nothingness. We can set aside every word in the essay before Pure Nothingness. For each example of (Perceptive) Nothingness in the first part of the essay, there was Something: a corpse; a living person who exists but is absent; a collection of light, air and dust. Everything in the first part of the essay held the property of Somethingness.

The second part of the essay provides an argument for the impossibility of Nothingness (Pure, Absolute Nothingness). That part is a decent read.

fokalypsy

Post by fokalypsy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:56 pm

Hi! I loved the essay! Nonetheless, I want to add something that may or may not serve as a clarification. I think that 'nothing' and 'non-existence' are entirely different concepts. Nothing, in my opinion, presupposes something. That is to say, for there to be nothing, something had (or has to be able) to be. Which means nothing is the absence of something, which is, by extension a something in itself. I think you touched upon this very well in your essay. Now, non-existence is what I think you meant to discuss. Non-existence is not merely the absence of something. It is the opposite of something. Non-existence is "not able to be," as you so rightly put it. Here is where the clarification comes into play. I think that nothing/something are two sides of the same entity (existence), while non-existence is their opposite. An interesting discussion could delve into the question of "When you die, do you become nothing or non-existent?" Some people might suggest that you become nothing because you never cease to exist, be it as part of the earth or in the memory of humanity. Yet others might disagree and say that those things are not components of the system that is 'you,' and therefore you become non-existent because that which makes you you, the ability to at the very least be conscious, is gone.

I don't know if you would agree with my clarification. Still, it was an exciting read!