A Stoic Response To The Climate Crisis

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

A Stoic Response To The Climate Crisis

Post by Philosophy Now »

Matthew Gindin thinks that the Stoics have useful advice for us right now.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/136/A_Stoic_Response_To_The_Climate_Crisis
henry quirk

The Appropriate Response To The Climate Crisis

Post by henry quirk »

What crisis?
blighcapn

Re: A Stoic Response To The Climate Crisis

Post by blighcapn »

Matthew. Ridiculous. Obviously you are not a scientist. Read the literature. It is impossible for humans to force the climate to Global Warming.
PERHAPS, we might influence it 1% or so.
Read up on CO2 science. CO2 is a tiny part of the so-called Greenhouse effect and the Greenhouse atmosphere.
The Stoics would await scientific proof before accepting any hypothesis. They would not be subject to Media influences and bogus statements about how many scientists support the thesis.
Maybe "Global Warming, Alarmists Skeptics and Deniers" would be helpful.
Jack Baret

Post by Jack Baret »

Excellent discussion on how to prepare/train when adversity arrives and it will in one form or another. Remember not to question why me but to respond with why not me? Regards; Jack
Walker

Post by Walker »

blighcapn wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:59 pm Maybe "Global Warming, Alarmists Skeptics and Deniers" would be helpful.
Rather than denier or skeptic, Climate realist sounds about right.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Walker wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:53 pm
blighcapn wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:59 pm Maybe "Global Warming, Alarmists Skeptics and Deniers" would be helpful.
Sure, realistically the climate changes; realistically, man ain't got nuthin' to do with that change, and realistically, if you're worried: plant trees, restock clam beds, and leave economies alone.

Greta, shut the hell up.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

I can just see Snidley Whiplash smirking fiendishly while twisting his moustache as his exaggerated alarm clocks cause the slumbering clams to leap from their beds...

-Imp
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Impenitent wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:26 pm I can just see Snidley Whiplash smirking fiendishly while twisting his moustache as his exaggerated alarm clocks cause the slumbering clams to leap from their beds...

-Imp
HA!

One correction: instead of Whiplash it ought to be Sheldon Plankton.
Walker

Post by Walker »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:09 pm
Sure, realistically the climate changes; realistically, man ain't got nuthin' to do with that change, and realistically, if you're worried: plant trees, restock clam beds, and leave economies alone.

Greta, shut the hell up.
Blame the disease, not the lil’ child.

henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Walker wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:39 pm

Greta, shut the hell up.

Nah, I hold her accountable for her actions. If she's a shrew, it's cuz she's given into her inclinations.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Extract:

For our purposes though, the really useful insight comes from what Epictetus said to a student who complained that his brother mistreated him. Epictetus’s answer can be summarized as: “So what? Your task is not to have a brother who loves you, which you cannot hope to succeed in, but to be a good brother yourself, which you can.”

Applying the value of what is possible to the problem of epidemic we have " Your task is not to have a plague-free world which you cannot succeed in, but to be a contender against the current plague, which you can."
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Jack Baret wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:34 pm Excellent discussion on how to prepare/train when adversity arrives and it will in one form or another. Remember not to question why me but to respond with why not me? Regards; Jack
The goal to transform America into statist slavery requires three essential efforts. The first is to turn the idea of education into indoctrintion, the second is the destruction of the ideal of the nuclear family, And the third is to replace awareness of our mutual source with the glorification of the State..

"Why me" are efforts that were once a human ideal. Efforts at indoctrination serve the purpose of the State becoming God. Man is no longer necessary and his function within the nuclear family is replaced by the state which will take care of your needs at the cost of human potential and what freedom offers. The suppression of God consciousness assures the supremacy of the state.

Climate change has always been, Human beings can respond to it but conditioned slaves need statism to think for them and rob the blind which it is all to eager to do. Think Venezuela and shudder.

That does seem to be the future.
Walker

Post by Walker »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:48 pm

Greta, shut the hell up.

Nah, I hold her accountable for her actions. If she's a shrew, it's cuz she's given into her inclinations.
They say her body is stunted because she starved herself during puberty. At first glance one may think the starving would also stunt her brain and a case could be made that her antics support that diagnosis. But I don’t think so. The body is just a support vehicle for the brain so the brain gets first dibs on any nutrition, plus the body will consume itself just to feed the brain. Someone should ask her if she is a fan of the Frozen movies, I and II. These are all about young women with magical powers who can alter the phenomenal world with a wave of the hand and strong intent (appeals to granddaughters). This would explain Greta’s indignation over the weather, because the Frozen girls summon righteous wrath and kick ass.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Walker wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:06 pm
henry quirk wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:48 pm

They say her body is stunted because she starved herself during puberty. At first glance one may think the starving would also stunt her brain and a case could be made that her antics support that diagnosis. But I don’t think so. The body is just a support vehicle for the brain so the brain gets first dibs on any nutrition, plus the body will consume itself just to feed the brain. Someone should ask her if she is a fan of the Frozen movies, I and II. These are all about young women with magical powers who can alter the phenomenal world with a wave of the hand and strong intent (appeals to granddaughters). This would explain Greta’s indignation over the weather, because the Frozen girls summon righteous wrath and kick ass.
The problem of climate change began with the dinosaurs. A Plague hit their food source causing them to fart like crazy filling the air with methane. After the atmosphere settled out a similar problem occured with Man. Bad indigestion and excessive farts is the major cause of climate change and excessive methane

Gas masks defending against virus is covering the wrong end. A typical liberal mistake. Everyone concerned with climate change must where masks and air purifiers on the right end and tested by the government every month to prove their farts are within accepted government standards
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

The goal to transform America into statist slavery requires three essential efforts

The first is to turn the idea of education into indoctrintion

done

the second is the destruction of the ideal of the nuclear family

done

the third is to replace awareness of our mutual source with the glorification of the State

and, done

thank Crom, I'm too stupid to know when I'm licked