Would Machiavelli Vote For Donald Trump?

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

Would Machiavelli Vote For Donald Trump?

Post by Philosophy Now »

Peter Adamson reads a modern Renaissance political manual.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/135/Would_Machiavelli_Vote_For_Donald_Trump
Scott Mayers

Re: Would Machiavelli Vote For Donald Trump?

Post by Scott Mayers »

I haven't yet read this but have already noticed his use of "Machiavellian" tactics. A good approach to understanding him would be to read, "43 Laws of Power", by Robert Greene. When I first heard of this book, I presumed that it was just another 'get-rich-quick' scheme book (given the source of whom recommended it to me personally). But it has some very realistic arguments about effectiveness in specific behaviors that I believe he and many others -- especially in business -- act upon. The rules of each of what Greene puts out to each chapter always presents some caveate of how the rules fail as well.

As to whether Machiavelli would vote for Trump, who knows. But I believe that Trump appears to be using Greene's book more particularly. That author also studied Machiavelli and thus places him in its context as well. (He even wrote directly on him specifically elsewhere.)

I'll have to read the article to say anymore. But this question at least points out some things intrinsic in his approach.
Walker

Re: Would Machiavelli Vote For Donald Trump?

Post by Walker »

Turning Machiavellian methods back upon blundering Machiavellians is not Machiavellian. It’s intellectual aikido.