Good Religion, and the Good It Can Do

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Eodnhoj7

Re: Good Religion, and the Good It Can Do

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Nick_A wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:30 am Eod
Is a point imaginary?
It depends upon how you define a point. I learned that a point is a limit. The first dimension is an infinite line of points. We can see a one dimensional line but cannot see a point which has no dimensions. So I conclude that a point is a reality beyond our power of perception existing above Plato’s divided line. This limit is experienced by us below Plato’s divided line as dimensions.

A point is void...we only see it relative to another point which necessitates some boundary to observe the points to begin with (considering they are empty).

Void is not even imaginary.

I agree with you as to the value of meditation. It does seem that something more is needed to cope with the rapidity of modern life that forces us into a fixation with the shadows on the wall. Years ago the experience of awe and wonder were considered the means to nourish ones being as does meditation. But awe and wonder as desirable qualities for contemplation have been replaced by the ever changing images offered by a remote. Is it any wonder why the quality of human being (human perspective) is lessening as knowledge of facts increases?
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

In religion God is definitional. Religions don't say how to experience God. They say that God is love but love is not God. This means that experiencing love is not experiencing God. It's experiencing love with or without God's involvement. The logic in religion is illogical. Religion relates human experience to God without experiencing God.

Simplify.

Have you spiritual experiences? Are they restorative, positive, encouraging or are they the opposite? How Are your spiritual experiences explained by religion.

They are not explained by religion.

Religion defines but doesn't explain the experiencing of God. So religions are just definitions without foundation.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

jayjacobus wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:44 pm In religion God is definitional. Religions don't say how to experience God. They say that God is love but love is not God. This means that experiencing love is not experiencing God. It's experiencing love with or without God's involvement. The logic in religion is illogical. Religion relates human experience to God without experiencing God.

Simplify.

Have you spiritual experiences? Are they restorative, positive, encouraging or are they the opposite? How Are your spiritual experiences explained by religion.

They are not explained by religion.

Religion defines but doesn't explain the experiencing of God. So religions are just definitions without foundation.
There is nothing logical about logic...religion is inevitable.
Ansiktsburk

Post by Ansiktsburk »

Nick_A wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:30 am Is it any wonder why the quality of human being (human perspective) is lessening as knowledge of facts increases?
What on earth do you mean with this?
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Ansiktsburk wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:58 am
Nick_A wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:30 am Is it any wonder why the quality of human being (human perspective) is lessening as knowledge of facts increases?
You've herd that old expression: "he can't see the forest for the trees." The forest is representative of the realistic human perspective of wholeness while the trees represents its fragmentation into "facts." From Lao Tzu :
22. The further one goes the less one knows.
This is the same idea. A human perspective is a quality easily lost when a person is consumed with facts directed at temporary pragmatic results.
Ansiktsburk

Post by Ansiktsburk »

Nick_A wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:09 pm
Ansiktsburk wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:58 am
You've herd that old expression: "he can't see the forest for the trees." The forest is representative of the realistic human perspective of wholeness while the trees represents its fragmentation into "facts." From Lao Tzu :
22. The further one goes the less one knows.
This is the same idea. A human perspective is a quality easily lost when a person is consumed with facts directed at temporary pragmatic results.
Got it.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Nick_A wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:09 pm A human perspective is a quality easily lost when a person is consumed with facts directed at temporary pragmatic results.
This is pretty blunt. Life is temporary.

"Living" is a temporary, pragmatic, result.

Living (for longer), and increasing the quality of life is the temporary, pragmatic result science and medicine concern themselves with.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Any religion can be a good religion provided the central ideology does not require its followers to believe anything unproven, anything
mythical, anything called god, anything that will result in their perceived damnation, or anything that will require currency. Beyond that, knock yourself out.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

I'd like to just say this once and then we can all just go from there O.K. There is no God. There never was. There never will be.
seriously, if you just let it soak in, you cant help but realize what a sucker you've been. Just relax, its ok. those guys are pros,
they been doing it for a while now. This doesn't mean you have to turn your life upside down. not at all. their is still tons of stuff
about your religion that is essential to your way of life. keep it, be peaceful and kind to your neighbors. all that stuff is of course
absolutely relevant. All that has changed is the idea that there is an invisible guy that lives in the sky watching everything that you do.
of all the stars in the universe, with all the galaxies in the cosmos all the billions of places this guy supposedly has to attend to, but you feel that
his main priority is knowing weather or not you thought about o'l missy across the street in her britches and if it aroused you or not. My word
i promise each and every one of you, there no man alive or ever thats been that important. Thats not god thats your conscience. Its silly, Im sorry but ya'll been lied to; for a long time. Ask yourself this, did you choose your beliefs? or did you just kinda get em from your folks and family. sort of inherited. The vast mojority of you, thats exactly how you got em. Now, we could do that for generations and generations before you and they all will be just like you. you know what the end answer is? you guessed it, the answer is, they dont really know. nobody really knows, NOBODY!!!! Cause its made up, God isn't real, nor is heaven or hell. Be religious thats fine and good, but just know the truth, and do not lie to your children or anybody else and claim that you know something that you can not possibly know. I know its Sunday but this is fairly serious and pretty
important to me. I certainly don't set out to intentionally offend anybody but its sort of built in to the whole thing. Its not likely that this is the
first time the faithful have heard such a thing, but i challenge you to this time, ponder the ideas. its ok to be skeptical. You are human, thats
how we know anything. or if you think that you have something that not a man in the history of humanity has that will change my mind, by all
means; hook me up.