Is Morality Objective?

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

Is Morality Objective?

Post by Philosophy Now »

The following answers to this key philosophical question each win a random book.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/115/Is_Morality_Objective
Nick_A

Re: Is Morality Objective?

Post by Nick_A »

Morality consists of man made subjective interpretations of universal objective conscience so by definition cannot be objective. However objective conscience is an attribute of soul knowledge so can be remembered. Where subjective morality becomes a part of ones personality and its associated hypocrisy, objective conscience is a part of the human essence and universal knowledge so can be remembered having a much more realistic profound effect on a person's psyche
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

I thought I recalled a form once.... wait...

-Imp
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Impenitent wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:18 pm I thought I recalled a form once.... wait...

-Imp
If it is the same form I am thinking of, she had a form worth recalling.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Often the OP sort of question divert most away to Hume's famous no objective 'ought' from subjective "is". In this sense, the question is can absolute moral 'ought' be enforced on people? The obvious answer is no except for theists who agree God can impose ought on believers with threats of perdition and hellfire if they do not comply with what is 'ought'.

First we need to define what is morality;
  • A. Morality (from Latin: moralis, lit. 'manner, character, proper behavior') is the differentiation of intentions, decisions and actions between those that are distinguished as proper and those that are improper.[1]
    B. Morality can be a body of standards or principles derived from a code of conduct from a particular philosophy, religion or culture, or it can derive from a standard that a person believes should be universal.[2]
    C. Morality may also be specifically synonymous with "goodness" or "rightness".
    -wiki
To find out which of the above definition is in alignment with humanity, we need to view morality in the full perspective of humanity and its drives.
  • 1. Humans exists
    2. DNA wise all humans has the potential to commit evil
    3. DNA wise all humans has the potential to do good.
    4. However humans has evolved for higher good, empathy, compassion, love, etc.
    5. The drive for higher good with reasoning, generate the drive for perpetual peace.
    6. To achieve 5, we need absolute universal good as a guide.
    7. Morality as defined in B above is the most efficient to establish absolute moral good as guide for ethical practices.
Therefore within 1-7 above the question is not 'Is Morality Objective' but rather to achieve perpetual peace, we need to establish objective moral absolutes of universal good.

The next question is from where can we abstract objective moral absolutes.
I believe we can do so by applying our highest power of reasoning on the full range of human experiences and observation of life.
I have done that in this thread;
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27245

To put the above into practice we need an effective Framework and System of Morality & Ethics.
Within this system, morality refer to the establishment of absolute moral rules as guide which is not to be enforced.
Ethics refer to how the moral rules are to be applied in practice based on values.

Note, Morality and Ethics are focused on self-development assisted by society and it has nothing to do with jurisprudence in any direct connections.

So, Morality is objective - point 6 - in the above perspectives.