Seeing True Nature

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

Seeing True Nature

Post by Philosophy Now »

John Worthington-Hill explores Buddhist environmental thought.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/132/Seeing_True_Nature
Ansiktsburk

Re: Seeing True Nature

Post by Ansiktsburk »

Philosophy Now wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:37 am John Worthington-Hill explores Buddhist environmental thought.

John Worthington-Hill is obviously not from a white/blue collar background, people working ninetofive. And not able to imagine the life of such a person. And therefore his discussion is in vain, apart from getting oohs and aahs from other people from his background. I guess he really wants to do more. If he want ”People” do do what he thinks they must, he need to think outside his academical box.
Eodnhoj7

Re: Seeing True Nature

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Ansiktsburk wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:43 am
Philosophy Now wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:37 am John Worthington-Hill explores Buddhist environmental thought.

John Worthington-Hill is obviously not from a white/blue collar background, people working ninetofive. And not able to imagine the life of such a person. And therefore his discussion is in vain, apart from getting oohs and aahs from other people from his background. I guess he really wants to do more. If he want ”People” do do what he thinks they must, he need to think outside his academical box.
Really, I worked plenty of blue collar jobs out of college and the trades out of college. The people are stuck in those lifestyles and the technology (power tools) destroy there bodies...not just the environment.

The job is done so quick, you are out of work before you started, as well as the skills always changing due to technological change pretty much necessitate you will not be using the same skills you learned as a student.

Not to mention the old guys continually complaining and harassing through unjustified layoffs so they can hire their friends. They become miserable, and there misery goes in a spiral where it affects everyone around them. I have seen a guy get laid off for not wearing deodorant, on a construction job, when he was only delivering to the site...and the manager on the site wanted him laid off.

It isn't the f"""ing army where if you mess up you have to do push ups. You just dont have a paycheck.

Arthritis and back problems in their 30s, sometimes 20s, then throw in the no retirement until 70.

The environment is chaotic inside and out, it cyclical. A disturbed mind results in a disturbed environment which results in a disturbed body which results in a disturbed mind...and it is a loop.

I heard one story of an apprentice, from my area, who just had enough and literally (not metaphorically) bashed his managers brains out with a hammer.

I thought is was funny.

It is a war of all against all everywhere.

The only solution is what the gen z's are doing now (and I am a millenial not gen z)...just let it die.

When the problems are too many, and the disturbance so great the mind just has to black out and restart...this is metaphorically speaking but considering the nature of the mind connected to the environment...well it speaks for itself.