Where Have All The Intellectuals Gone? by Frank Furedi

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

-1-

Re: Where Have All The Intellectuals Gone? by Frank Furedi

Post by -1- »

I agree with the critic of Furedi's book, when he says that part of the reason for intellectual bleakness is the fact that smart people -- the ones from which intellectuals are made -- are more concerned with making money and to provide a wealthy future for their families than to risk jobs and career by sticking their necks out with brand new ideas.

Another reason for this apathy toward renewal of original thinking may be that our societies are so well organized, including high-ranking (by intellect) jobs, that there is no need to innovate, as innovation involves risk, and the return on the innovation would be only marginal, not sufficient to justify the risk.

When Furedi goes into politics, I agree with him: politicians do think that issues are too complex for the everywoman, and therefore the key thing is to focus on image. That has been the development since the Kennedys, and it never stopped rolling itself out.

I would also add that intellectualism is not dead; it is just rare, because intellectuals are not given the voice they once were. People and journalists used to hang on every word of Einstein, Eisenstein, and Eigenstein; of Freud, Teller and von Neumann. Now we hardly hear a peep from leading physicists, physicians, and physicalists.

I think Furedi's book has merit, and the critic was apt in pointing out the shortcomings of the book.
Eodnhoj7

Re: Where Have All The Intellectuals Gone? by Frank Furedi

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Philosophy Now wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:40 am Neil Richardson laments a surplus of generalities.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/119/Wh ... ank_Furedi
A good generalization of the topic.