Popper on Marx on History

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

Popper on Marx on History

Post by Philosophy Now »

Chris Christensen considers a clash of two colossal Karls.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/131/Popper_on_Marx_on_History
Ansiktsburk

Re: Popper on Marx on History

Post by Ansiktsburk »

I also read the Open Society recently, would basically sum it up pretty much like Chris did. But what I see as interesting, or rather alarming, in the time that has gone since the mid 60’s is first and foremost the globalization of the world. Large multinational countries cannot any longer be regulated by states, they can always go elsewhere, where oppression of workers is more ok, an costs are lower. And, following, the Brexit, the Trump, the nationalistic parties as a reaction. Social democracy wasnt the endlösung. Internet and social media has also changed the gameplan since then. Everyone have access to info and info can be used to corrupt many.
Another issue, that was observed even back in those days is the global warming. The green house effect was discussed in the ”oil crisis” days in the mid 70’s when I was in my early teens. That is a prophecy that seems to be correct. Social sciences is not what the natural sciences is. Even if the environment is a complex equation an no one can know exactly what heating there will be and what consequences.