Søren Kierkegaard On the Perils of Procrastination

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Logik

Re: Søren Kierkegaard On the Perils of Procrastination

Post by Logik »

Arising_uk wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:32 am
Logik wrote: Do the math yourself. It doesn't move the needle.

The nett effect is 7%

That''s below Chnina's economic growth rate. They are failing to stay ahead of the curve...

in English - they are slowing down their evil, but not reversing it.
Be fair, we didn't even bother the only reason why we stopped is it was more cost effective to use gas and the mines shut because it was cheaper to use strip-mined coal from abroad, that and that it crushed a very bothersome and powerful union. Give 'em a chance as the difference is in their system they can get things done.
There's no room for fairness. At their current rate of progress they will never get ahead of the curve....

If I am supposed to pat them on the back as a form of encouragement - sure. I just don't want them to mis-read it as approval.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Logik wrote: There's no room for fairness. At their current rate of progress they will never get ahead of the curve....

If I am supposed to pat them on the back as a form of encouragement - sure. I just don't want them to mis-read it as approval.
You'd prefer them to not even start if they can't do it all in one hit?
Logik

Post by Logik »

Arising_uk wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:48 am You'd prefer them to not even start if they can't do it all in one hit?
I'd prefer them to do more! Faster!
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Logik wrote: I'd prefer them to do more! Faster!
Well personally I think they will as they are just ramping-up and despite what I think about their system when they put their mind to something they generally can get it done. I'd be more bothered about India where they generally can't.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

I've always wondered why some people are considered "great thinkers" and elevated above everyone else as some kind of superstars. Looking at Kierkegaard's life, I really wonder why anyone should consider him a role model of any sort? I mean, it's not like he's a logician or someone who contributed to any great advancements in science. As far as being a role model of any kind, he never married. No kids. He apparently did everything he could to deliberately undermine his relationship with the love of his life (Regina), maybe because he thought they weren't a good fit or whatever. He was never gainfully employed, depressed and miserable most of the time, died young and was supported by his father's wealth for all of his brief life. Probably the only people who should consider him any kind of idol should be dysfunctional emo people like me. Pretty sad "philosopher", really. Why do people waste their time with him? It's kind of like how people idolize a deadbeat drug addict like Kerouac or something. Maybe signs of general social decadence and decline?

In any case, it's kind of strange to hear someone like that talk of "action" over "words" in philosophy. The guy was a failure for all intents and purposes. Idolizing him is about as idiotic as if someone idolized me.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

read Either/Or sometime...

-Imp
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Impenitent wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:52 pm read Either/Or sometime...

-Imp
No thanks. I've read synopses of it.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

cliff notes philosophy is the progressive way to enlightenment

-Imp
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Gary Childress wrote:...

In any case, it's kind of strange to hear someone like that talk of "action" over "words" in philosophy. The guy was a failure for all intents and purposes. Idolizing him is about as idiotic as if someone idolized me.
By your criteria Jesus was also a deadbeat?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Impenitent wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:58 pm cliff notes philosophy is the progressive way to enlightenment

-Imp
And of course you've read every primary source in the philosophical canon from beginning to finish.
Last edited by Gary Childress on Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Arising_uk wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:43 pm
Gary Childress wrote:...

By your criteria Jesus was also a deadbeat?
Aside from allegedly being God incarnate, Jesus supposedly went around healing the sick, feeding the poor, preventing adulterers from getting stoned to death and stuff. So no, they aren't the same.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Gary Childress wrote:Aside from allegedly being God incarnate, Jesus supposedly went around healing the sick, feeding the poor, preventing adulterers from getting stoned to death and stuff. So no, they aren't the same.
So to get your respect Kierkegaard should have become a doctor? Given to charity? Been married, etc? Instead of defying convention and not marrying and having kids and being an author.

You also appear to misrepresent him as he did not live off his father in a deadbeat sense but off the gift his father gave him when said father retired a successful man. What would you do if given enough money to survive and pursue your interests?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Gary Childress wrote:
And of course you've read every primary source in the philosophical canon from beginning to finish.
Well I pretty much have so I guess Imp may well have.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Arising_uk wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:17 pm
Gary Childress wrote:Aside from allegedly being God incarnate, Jesus supposedly went around healing the sick, feeding the poor, preventing adulterers from getting stoned to death and stuff. So no, they aren't the same.
So to get your respect Kierkegaard should have become a doctor? Given to charity? Been married, etc? Instead of defying convention and not marrying and having kids and being an author.

You also appear to misrepresent him as he did not live off his father in a deadbeat sense but off the gift his father gave him when said father retired a successful man. What would you do if given enough money to survive and pursue your interests?
As I alluded to in my response above, my life is as big a disaster as SK's. If you want to idolize me, feel free.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Arising_uk wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:18 pm
Gary Childress wrote:
Well I pretty much have so I guess Imp may well have.
Amazing! What university do you teach at?