The Free Will Pill

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Wyman

Re: The Free Will Pill

Post by Wyman »

HexHammer wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:04 pm
Wyman wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:13 pm Isn't forcing free will an oxymoron? But I think that most people like to be told how to act - they believe in moral maxims that are handed to them by religion or society or parents and then rather thoughtlessly follow them. It is too much pressure to act freely.
Ever taken an IQ test? What you say makes no sense, it's incoherent babble!
Care to be more specific?
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Wyman wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:53 pm
HexHammer wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:04 pm
Wyman wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:13 pm Isn't forcing free will an oxymoron? But I think that most people like to be told how to act - they believe in moral maxims that are handed to them by religion or society or parents and then rather thoughtlessly follow them. It is too much pressure to act freely.
Ever taken an IQ test? What you say makes no sense, it's incoherent babble!
Let me put it this way, you are a "rain man" devoid of rationale, you don't understand basic self explanatory things. Maybe I can give a longer more sensical answer another time, but for now I really don't feel like wasting my time on this.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Okay, here’s the question: Taylor A. Dunn asks, if free will were a drug, should you take it?

Hex sez: No, that leads to mass murder, vile and psychotic behaviour!

Hex sez: If people truly had free will society would descend into anarchy!

The appropriate question at this point: why would free will lead to anarchy, to mass murder, to psychotic behavior?
Wyman

Post by Wyman »

HexHammer wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:11 pm
Wyman wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:53 pm
HexHammer wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:04 pm Ever taken an IQ test? What you say makes no sense, it's incoherent babble!
Let me put it this way, you are a "rain man" devoid of rationale, you don't understand basic self explanatory things. Maybe I can give a longer more sensical answer another time, but for now I really don't feel like wasting my time on this.
I wish I were Rainman, then you could take me to Vegas Hexhammer!
owl of Minerva

Post by owl of Minerva »

A free will pill that increases will is not a solution unless it erases the subtle electrical wiring that creates blueprints and grooves of wrong habits in the physiological brain that leads to mindless actions and addictions. The person could use the increased will given by the pill to form even worse habits.

In the East the polarity is not Descartes's 'mind/body problem' where the polarity exists between mind and body. The polarity is understood to be between manas: Mind and buddhi: Intelligence.

Increasing concentration and presence of mind so that the right choice is made by the discriminating intelligence is a better choice, otherwise the will is not free. If it were possible with a pill to increase will power it should be used only in cases of addiction until the person is cured, maybe not even then, as fighting an addiction unaided would naturally increase will power. The slave of habit could instead become a slave to a pill.