Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Post by Philosophy Now » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:10 pm

Martin Jenkins traces the life of a self-made woman.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/130/Ayn_Rand_1905-1982

henry quirk

Rand swiped from Nietzsche who swiped from Stirner who just recognized what 'is'...

Post by henry quirk » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:00 pm

...time to put dead people in their graves and move on.

-1-

"Let dead people lie."

Post by -1- » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:57 pm

"Let dead people lie." You're right on, Henry. Except every historical human insight, such as philosophies, scientific theories, and trends in religion, are not born in a vacuum, they each borrow some or other of their features from previous editions of generally the same shit.

I don't know why this bothers so many people on this website. There has been a lot of Christian-bible and Torah-thrashing due to the fact that features of these writings have had direct and traceable predecessors.

So what? Why is that a sin?

Ayn Rand, whose views I opine are just as stupid as the tenets of the Torah or of Christianity, is not a woman born into a vacuum out of a vacuum tube. She had some base to develop her ideas, and there you go.

Wyman

Re: Rand swiped from Nietzsche who swiped from Stirner who just recognized what 'is'...

Post by Wyman » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:18 pm

henry quirk wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:00 pm
...time to put dead people in their graves and move on.
But there is something alluring about her writing. I read the books once and although she was frustratingly bad at writing, the plots and the main ideas were interesting enough for me to read the whole books. Like Nietzsche she doesn't like the slave morality of egalitarianism, but she does not seem to adopt his 'will to power.' She has her protagonists just leave the 'slaves' behind, to wallow in their (slaves') own ineptitude. It's more of a Scrooge morality.

henry quirk

Post by henry quirk » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:09 am

My point: If a body wants to read Rand, then go read Rand, but -- please -- spare us the biographical essays and dissections.

And: if a body wants to get to the root, go read Saint Max's The Individual and His Property and skip Mother Ayn and Mad Fred.

Walker

Re: Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Post by Walker » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:24 am

Since in the US the police do not have a constitutional duty to protect someone, what does protect mean in the motto: To Protect and to Serve?

Did the Supreme Court render "protect" in that motto obsolete, in reference to people?

Or, did the motto never include people, and was always meant to protect property and serve the order of society?

-1-

Post by -1- » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:54 am

Walker wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:24 am
Since in the US the police do not have a constitutional duty to protect someone, what does protect mean in the motto: To Protect and to Serve?

Did the Supreme Court render "protect" in that motto obsolete, in reference to people?

Or, did the motto never include people, and was always meant to protect property and serve the order of society?
In my town, London, Ontario, the police slogan on cars is "action, not words". This means they don't testify in court, they just fucking beat up people they don't like the face of.

But luckily they don't live up to their expectation here built on the slogan. They are actually nice people, they don't beat up anyone at random. They don't do their job at all either -- I went in to the station twice to report actual crimes, one with a name and address, the other preserved on tape, and both times they laughed in my face.

But they were there right on the dot in three minutes flat when an old man with money and past influence, coming from a good home, did not pay for $75 worth of lottery tickets he had just bought. The poor old sap, he was not charged, although his son was called to the scene to explain to the old man whey he was from that moment banned from the grocery store and why he had to return the tickets.

I hate fucking police. They are an independent organization removed from the bounds of society, and the only reason they can be ethical is their own conscience. I would not trust so much power into a body of people whose only check is their own conscience.

Walker

Post by Walker » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:55 am

Ever read The Fountainhead? See the movie? It’s a snoozer.

In one scene Howard Roark (Gary Cooper) dynamites a construction project.

Total destruction. No lives lost thanks to his planning and help from his conspirator (Patricia Neal).

In his own defense at his jury trial he concedes all the facts up front, then he delivers a long-winded philosophical statement to explain his knowing actions that resulted in destruction of property, which is a criminal act!

Based on his reasoning, the jury lets him go.

Some speech.

It's either a virtual philosopher's fantasy, or it's a virtual, philosopher's fantasy.

Skip

Post by Skip » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:44 am

Philosophy Now wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:10 pm
Martin Jenkins traces the life of a self-made woman.
My problem is with the phrase "self-made". This is invariably a lie. Nobody is self-made, not even God; it can't be done.
Some people just don't give credit for all the help and breaks and good luck and serendipitous timing from which they've benefited.
That's the virtue of selfishness. It's not all that attractive.