The Functions of Art

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

The Functions of Art

Post by Philosophy Now »

Nick_A

Re: The Functions of Art

Post by Nick_A »

This has got to be the most naive article I’ve ever read. Bartley is referring to expression, not art

First consider these two quotes by Tolstoy and then read this short article on what art is
“The business of art lies just in this, -- to make that understood and felt which, in the form of an argument, might be incomprehensible and inaccessible.”
― Leo Tolstoy, What Is Art?
“Art is not, as the metaphysicians say, the manifestation of some mysterious idea of beauty or God; it is not, as the aesthetical physiologists say, a game in which man lets off his excess of stored-up energy; it is not the expression of man's emotions by external signs; it is not the production of pleasing objects; and, above all, it is not pleasure; but it is a means of union among men, joining them together in the same feelings, and indispensable for the life and progress toward well-being of individuals and of humanity.”
― Leo Tolstoy, What Is Art?
http://fadeyev.net/what-is-art/
…………………Now that we have a definition of value, we can give a definition for “art”: Art is transmission of human value. It is not necessary to go beyond this, but if we wanted a more specific definition we could say that: Art is a method of transmitting human value by means of images, sound and language (language being also accessible through touch)…………………….
attofishpi

Re: The Functions of Art

Post by attofishpi »

Nick_A wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:00 am This has got to be the most naive article I’ve ever read. Bartley is referring to expression, not art.
..and that has to be one of the most contradictory statements I've ever read.