On Being Politically Incorrect

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

On Being Politically Incorrect

Post by Philosophy Now »

Piers Benn makes some deeply suspect observations.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/3/On_Being_Politically_Incorrect
creativesoul

Re: On Being Politically Incorrect

Post by creativesoul »

I would only direct the readers' attention to how the first two paragraphs ended. The first by portraying a certain attitude/goal of silencing any disagreement in a negative light, and the second by demonstrating precisely that.

:roll:
But there is no shortage of people who see fit to correct the ‘ideology’ of others and to abolish the conditions under which such erroneous thoughts can survive.
The above was aimed at the PC people who are fanatical.
...since the unsound attitudes are deeply ingrained and often unconscious, a language must be developed that confronts and eliminates them.
The above is an offered solution to the aforementioned 'problem'...
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Could you direct us to the 'deeply suspect' observations?
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

Interesting that the article was written some 27 years ago. I wonder how the author would view political correctness now. It certainly hasn't gone away. If anything it has become more entrenched and become mainstream normality.
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

A_Seagull wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:13 am Interesting that the article was written some 27 years ago. I wonder how the author would view political correctness now. It certainly hasn't gone away. If anything it has become more entrenched and become mainstream normality.
I'll ask him, if you like. :-)
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

RickLewis wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:56 pm
A_Seagull wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:13 am Interesting that the article was written some 27 years ago. I wonder how the author would view political correctness now. It certainly hasn't gone away. If anything it has become more entrenched and become mainstream normality.
I'll ask him, if you like. :-)
Please do.
Davyboi

Post by Davyboi »

I personally think being politically correct, is madness gone wrong! People are frightened to say what they think or believe in! Incase they get classed as a specific genre..the only time you can be politically incorrect and be accepted is if you are a religious person..then for some reason your attitude and views are excepted .madness
Greta

Post by Greta »

Unlike most of the world, seemingly, I don't care about political correctness. People have always engaged in virtue signalling, just that when such signalling is right wing based it's "normal" and left wing based is "political correctness".

I noted very little worry over right wing hawks engaging in political correctness when they deliberately misrepresented criticism of the illegal Iraq invasion as criticism of the troops. Yet it's very similar in style to the game of misrepresenting complaints about excessive immigration rates as if it's a criticism of race rather than sheer numbers.

The re is a much broader issue - the abandonment of reason. People tend to be less reasonable, more frantic, nowadays. Reason - the capacity to be reasonable - requires calmness, and that is an ever harder quality to find in an overpopulating world where survival is ever less assured.
vegetariantaxidermy

Greta wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:51 am Unlike most of the world, seemingly, I don't care about political correctness. People have always engaged in virtue signalling, just that when such signalling is right wing based it's "normal" and left wing based is "political correctness".

I noted very little worry over right wing hawks engaging in political correctness when they deliberately misrepresented criticism of the illegal Iraq invasion as criticism of the troops. Yet it's very similar in style to the game of misrepresenting complaints about excessive immigration rates as if it's a criticism of race rather than sheer numbers.

The re is a much broader issue - the abandonment of reason. People tend to be less reasonable, more frantic, nowadays. Reason - the capacity to be reasonable - requires calmness, and that is an ever harder quality to find in an overpopulating world where survival is ever less assured.
You might have noticed that I never refer to 'wings' when I'm talking about PC. The PC have been silent for years on the slaughter in the ME by their 'beloved troops'. That's because they are cowards. They won't do or say anything that brings personal risk to themselves, which is why they stick to fashionable causes. Criticising 'heroic' troops isn't something that a coward is going to do in a hurry. It will become fashionable again in time, as it did in the sixties, and then they will go all 'hippy' with the best of them.
Greta

Post by Greta »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:53 am
Greta wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:51 am Unlike most of the world, seemingly, I don't care about political correctness. People have always engaged in virtue signalling, just that when such signalling is right wing based it's "normal" and left wing based is "political correctness".

You might have noticed that I never refer to 'wings' when I'm talking about PC. The PC have been silent for years on the slaughter in the ME by their 'beloved troops'. That's because they are cowards. They won't do or say anything that brings personal risk to themselves, which is why they stick to fashionable causes. Criticising 'heroic' troops isn't something that a coward is going to do in a hurry. It will become fashionable again in time, as it did in the sixties, and then they will go all 'hippy' with the best of them.
If there is a return to reason in my lifetime that would be a pleasant surprise. At the every time when we need to be most united to face common challenges we are becoming more divided. I suppose it's easier to deal with internal politics than facing down the forces of nature. Fighting is easier than thinking.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Is it politically incorrect to burn books?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Objectively, a frantic press.

Objectively, calm and rational responses.

Simply astonishing.

Trump clashes with Jim Acosta in testy exchange
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdFe-LmFRV8

comments?
Greta

Post by Greta »

Steven Pinker provides an excellent balanced perspective on the issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH_HJs88HzQ
vegetariantaxidermy

Greta wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:56 am Steven Pinker provides an excellent balanced perspective on the issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH_HJs88HzQ
Indeed. He's very rational and clear-thinking. I like him a lot --but not his wife. She's a ditz.
Dapplegrim

Post by Dapplegrim »

Walker wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:49 am Is it politically incorrect to burn books?
Only if someone is reading them at the time.