Why Physicalism is Wrong

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

surreptitious57

Re: Why Physicalism is Wrong

Post by surreptitious57 »

Dontaskme wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
Reality is that which objectively exists while our own existence is merely a very infinitesimal part within said reality
When we die we will still be within it but will no longer be aware of the fact because we will have no consciousness
Well there is no thing aka a someone aka a person that can have consciousness because all things are apparent appearances
aka illusions aka projections of consciousness in the form of thought inseparably from consciousness which is not a thing
Then the illusion if that is what it is is so powerful that it is actually perceived to be real
When the line between illusion and reality is that blurred it really makes zero difference
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

surreptitious57 wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:17 am
Dontaskme wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
Reality is that which objectively exists while our own existence is merely a very infinitesimal part within said reality
When we die we will still be within it but will no longer be aware of the fact because we will have no consciousness
Well there is no thing aka a someone aka a person that can have consciousness because all things are apparent appearances
aka illusions aka projections of consciousness in the form of thought inseparably from consciousness which is not a thing
Then the illusion if that is what it is is so powerful that it is actually perceived to be real
When the line between illusion and reality is that blurred it really makes zero difference
Exactly!

There is no difference here, except what 'thought' puts there, replacing one illusion with another :wink:

Einstein was spot on when he said, ''reality is an illusion albeit a persistent one''

We'll describe this in our own unique way, but only you yourself will understand how you describe it, the vibe is purely your own. Be true unto yourself and all else will be added.

''But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.''

surreptitious57

There is still a reality though even if it is actually mistaken for an illusion
All interpretation of reality is subjective though reality itself is objective
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

surreptitious57 wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:20 am There is still a reality though even if it is actually mistaken for an illusion
All interpretation of reality is subjective though reality itself is objective
Yes, reality is objective in the sense only the object is known, aka seen. The awareness of the object aka the subject in which the object appears is unknown/unseen for it is the knowing /seeing. In that it's unknown to any object outside it self..it is the knowing one without a second that cannot be known twice.

And yes, there is still reality, but that reality is tacit, it has no access to anything outside of of it's own arena. It's too close to approach itself, as it's intimately all there is.

surreptitious57

The idea that consciousness exists whether we are conscious or not is a quite interesting one philosophically. It removes the human mind as the origin of consciousness and replaces it with the Universe. This means that before there were humans there was consciousness and there will be consciousness after humans cease to exist. This philosophical position is known as panentheism [ not to be confused with pantheism ] and it has the Universe as God as distinct to evidence for God which is the position of classical theism. But I have to reject it because there is no evidence that the Universe is actually conscious. Consciousness is not a condition for its existence
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

surreptitious57 wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:46 am The idea that consciousness exists whether we are conscious or not is a quite interesting one philosophically. It removes the human mind as the origin of consciousness and replaces it with the Universe. This means that before there were humans there was consciousness and there will be consciousness after humans cease to exist. This philosophical position is known as panentheism [ not to be confused with pantheism ] and it has the Universe as God as distinct to evidence for God which is the position of classical theism.
The mind claims to be the knower of knowledge, without ever stopping to think how can that which has never been seen physically in 3D realtime and space duality possibly know anything, but I guess something has to know, else life for a human would not make sense. In fact, a human is a totally made up fictional character, a mental creation of itself.

All mental projections of knowledge is story telling, all arising as a fictional dual overlay upon what already IS aka tacit nondual reality.
surreptitious57 wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:46 am But I have to reject it because there is no evidence that the Universe is actually conscious. Consciousness is not a condition for its existence.
Maybe because real existence is unconditional. Consciousness is knowledge, and knowledge is story telling, and knowledge is all that's known...so I guess consciousness is here to stay, not that it can ever leave.

You cannot leave yourself and know about it.

So no one to reject itself, although rejecting it what seems to happen, as it is known, by the only knowing there is which is consciousness.

Unless you can think of some other knower...what about a tree, or a flower, are they the knower of knowledge, or are they the known?

Disclaimer.

surreptitious57

Dontaskme wrote:
Consciousness is knowledge and knowledge is story telling and knowledge is all
that is known ... so I guess consciousness is here to stay not that it can ever leave
Consciousness is experience rather than knowledge and specifically the experience of existence
Existence transcends consciousness because the body will still exist in physical form after death
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dontaskme wrote:Can you use your logic and talk about what this ''someone'' is who knows some things? can you describe the ''knower''. …
Sure, in this case its a thinking primate or if you prefer a body with senses, memory and language in and external world.
Can you use your logic to talk about the following quote?
again you talk about and assign attributes to something you can't?
Sure, there are two things we can be certain about, 'I am' and there are phenomena. Metaphysically we can infer that there may be a substrate that I and phenomena rely upon, Kant called it the Noumena but that is all we can assume as according to Kant's argument we cannot know anything more about 'it', as such all claims to 'know' what 'it' is are just wishful thinking, hence your view is as 'valid' as say the theists, et al, versions, i.e. neither of you know any such thing.
When you said ''I know I am conscious and I know I am a someone who knows some things.'' ...is that statement not assigning attributes to some ''knower''? ..so who is it that can't do this, according to your logic?
You can't do it about the Noumena but I can do it about this thinking primate exactly because I am a thinking primate.
Who or what is this ''you'' that can apparently do what it cannot do? ...as you apparently are reporting this as a truth statement. …
The who is this body with senses, memory and a language in an external world.
Please explain your metaphysical ideas since you have already qualified yourself as an understander. …
I am and there are phenomena about sums them up.
Now prove your understanding in your own words. …
What's to prove?
The problem is A-uk...as it goes, the tao that can be spoken is not the tao...words are dual in nature, and what we are discussing here is this immediate nondual reality....can you see the dilemma? …
I can and this is why I ask you what techniques you offer to experience what you can't talk about? As even the Buddha did this.
...it's not that this character here is making false contradictions, …
You're not making false contradictions, you're stating contradictions which are always false.
this character here is nothing more than a concept itself creating the unavoidable contradiction that is language, and that's the illusory separation right there. …
Whose or what's concept?
But upon closer inspection you'll see there is no dividing line between here and there except the word, the dual nature of language... but reality is silence. …
The reality is sight, taste, hearing, touch(feeling), smell.
Reality is nondual. …
Guesswork.
Are you able to look beyond the dual nature of concepts to their ultimate source and see they are an inseparable manifestation of their source and that that source must be absolute and irrefutably here NOW in that there is undoubtedly an Awareness of the knowing of every word, and that knowing itself knows itself as a conscious entity, thus the Awareness must be it, otherwise how could it light up the Knowing? …
Guesswork and wishful thinking.

Why must the Noumena be conscious?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

But upon closer inspection you'll see there is no dividing line between here and there except the word, the dual nature of language... but reality is silence. …
Arising_uk wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:06 amThe reality is sight, taste, hearing, touch(feeling), smell.
Reality is blind, tasteless, silent, intangible, odorless, thoughtless...arising as sight, taste, hearing, touch, and odor, and thought.

Reality is nondual. No one, aka individual person or thing sees, tastes, hears, feels, smells, or thinks.

There is only seeing, tasting, hearing, feeling, smelling, thinking...Reality is nondual.

No word can describe real reality, and yet every word is it. And yet the word is not what it points to, just as the signpost can only point to a specific location but is not the actual location, it can point everywhere except to itself.

Words are crap, but heck, divine crap.

I'm not answering the rest of your comments, it's dragging one back into mental whirlpools, it's not an activity that I am partial to. All your comments have been answered over and over again repeatedly - that's all I've ever done here in the entire duration I've been at this forum.

My assignment in life is to introduce nondual thinking ...and not to engage in the usual run of the mill circles of the mind, or to be a parrot.

Take it or leave it.

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

surreptitious57 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:59 am
Dontaskme wrote:
Consciousness is knowledge and knowledge is story telling and knowledge is all
that is known ... so I guess consciousness is here to stay not that it can ever leave
Consciousness is experience rather than knowledge and specifically the experience of existence
Existence transcends consciousness because the body will still exist in physical form after death
I have absolutely no idea what you are saying here.

Consciousness is a noun and implies a static thing, while 'being conscious' is a verbal phrase – still a noun, but implying some activity. The term consciousness connotes a kind of fixity or substantiality that is not in fact found in experience. One's experience is not a static thing it is ever changing, a process. When one examines one's experience one finds no thing that is consciousness.

That no-thing is here to stay, it can't leave here because it never entered here.

It is impossible to be conscious of being unconscious. You cannot be aware of not being aware.

The problem with trying to discuss the nondual nature of consciousness is that consciousness has many meanings, and people employing the term don't usually make clear what meaning they are using, including myself .. another problem is assuming that others know what you are talking about, like I have no idea what you are saying right now, and you probably don't know what I an saying. The problem with this kind of discussion is that one can use the same term in different senses and thereby assert things that actually make no sense including me.

But only the silent heart really knows and understands itself, words don't and can never approach nondual reality. But still, words will go on trying to explain this. Thanks for your ideas.

You seem to imply that consciousness disappears after the death of the body, but I say there is no body that is conscious, so no consciousness to disappear. All bodies are appearing and disappearing in no thing. And this is known via knowledge, and knowledge is what informs the illusion that is no thing appearing as everything.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dontaskme wrote:Reality is blind, tasteless, silent, intangible, odorless, thoughtless...
And yet you think it conscious?
arising as sight, taste, hearing, touch, and odor, and thought. …
Thought is not different from these.
Reality is nondual. …
Still waiting to hear the techniques by which you came to such a conclusion? As even the Buddha gave some.
No one, aka individual person or thing sees, tastes, hears, feels, smells, or thinks. …
You live a strange existence.
There is only seeing, tasting, hearing, feeling, smelling, thinking...Reality is nondual. …
So you keep saying but you won't provide the methods so others can come to the same conclusion?
No word can describe real reality, and yet every word is it. And yet the word is not what it points to, just as the signpost can only point to a specific location but is not the actual location, it can point everywhere except to itself. …
The signpost is itself. I'm not asking you for your words I'm asking for your methods and techniques.
Words are crap, but heck, divine crap. …
No they're not, they are the communication tool of thinking primates.
I'm not answering the rest of your comments, it's dragging one back into mental whirlpools, it's not an activity that I am partial to. …
Then why are you on a Philosophy forum?
All your comments have been answered over and over again repeatedly - that's all I've ever done here in the entire duration I've been at this forum. …
Nope, you've avoided the ones that I wish answered.
My assignment in life is to introduce nondual thinking ...and not to engage in the usual run of the mill circles of the mind, or to be a parrot. ...
But so far you are just a parrot as you cannot provide anything but the words you've been told by others. What are the methods and techniques you used to have this 'non-dual' experience.

By-the-by, you don't really need to introduce such a thing on a Philosophy forum as the idea has been around in Philosophy for yonks and been discussed better, it's called monist idealism.
Take it or leave it.
Dual options?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Birth and Death are not events that happen in reality.
Here there is only infinity expressing itself in finite appearances.
In the same way, our finite consciousness dissolves back into infinite consciousness upon death of the body. No body actually dies, dying is not an experience, it's not an event. Same goes for birth. This finite body/mind is like an ice cube floating in water. Eventually the ice cube dissolves back into water. In the same way, our finite consciousness dissolves back into infinite consciousness upon death of the body. The ice cube has no existence separate from the water. It is the water.

It is seen in this analogy that nothing was lost in the dissolving of the ice cube, as it was only and ever the water that ever IS.

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Arising_uk wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:30 pmThen why are you on a Philosophy forum?
To make comments that reveal real philosophy.

It's not just me that knows real philosophy, we all do.

That's why I'm here.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dontaskme wrote:Birth and Death are not events that happen in reality. …
You're in for a shock.
Here there is only infinity expressing itself in finite appearances. …
You said there was only 'Now', how can there be finite appearances?
In the same way, our finite consciousness dissolves back into infinite consciousness upon death of the body. …
Could be, you got any evidence for this?
No body actually dies, …
All bodies we've seen so far die.
dying is not an experience, it's not an event. …
Death might not be an experience but dying surely is.
Same goes for birth. …
Birth is an experience as it is for the mother.
This finite body/mind is like an ice cube floating in water. Eventually the ice cube dissolves back into water. In the same way, our finite consciousness dissolves back into infinite consciousness upon death of the body. The ice cube has no existence separate from the water. It is the water. …
Except when it is an ice-cube?
It is seen in this analogy that nothing was lost in the dissolving of the ice cube, as it was only and ever the water that ever IS.
The ice-cube has gone.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dontaskme wrote:To make comments that reveal real philosophy. …
Have you ever bothered to read those we call the philosophers?
It's not just me that knows real philosophy, we all do. ...
Do we?
That's why I'm here.
That's big of you.