Why Physicalism is Wrong

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Re: Why Physicalism is Wrong

Post by Dontaskme »

Arising_uk wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:30 pm

By-the-by, you don't really need to introduce such a thing on a Philosophy forum as the idea has been around in Philosophy for yonks and been discussed better, it's called monist idealism.
It's not an idea.

It's that which does away with all ideas and leaves true reality behind in it's wake.

I like to discuss real philosophy, sorry, that's just what I like to do, I'm not concerned with lies or your shallow opinions, only truths float my boat. I'm a truth lover and that's why I'm here.

So don't tell me what I already know, you're only wasting your breath on me with your endless boring old clichés.

I don't give a shit if it's been discussed better, I'm always under construction, if you don't like the way I discuss it, then you don't have to read it, go away and read what is better discussed if that's what you prefer, no one is perfect at writing about this, and no one is forcing you to read it you rude person, your spiteful and mean comments are like water off a ducks back to me. I've heard it all before.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dontaskme wrote:
It's not an idea. …
Sure it is, unless of course you can tell me how to have the experience?
It's that which does away with all ideas and leaves true reality behind in it's wake. …
Why is it always 'true reality' with you and yours? :roll:
I like to discuss real philosophy, sorry, that's just what I like to do, I'm not concerned with lies or your shallow opinions, only truths float my boat. I'm a truth lover and that's why I'm here. …
As I am but I'm puzzled as according to you you and I don't exist and I am you so how come you have this 'true reality' and I have 'lies and shallow opinions'?

Why is it always 'real philosophy' with you and yours? Especially given none of you haven't bothered to actually read what the philosophers have said. :roll:
So don't tell me what I already know, you're only wasting your breath on me with your endless boring old clichés. …
What clichés? And given that all you've said has already been better said in Philosophy already why are yours not the trite clichés?
I don't give a shit if it's been discussed better, I'm always under construction, …
Are you? But you said you already know all the answers so what's under construction?
if you don't like the way I discuss it, …
What have feelings got to do with this?
then you don't have to read it, go away and read what is better discussed if that's what you prefer, no one is perfect at writing about this, and no one is forcing you to read it you rude person, your spiteful and mean comments are like water off a ducks back to me. I've heard it all before.
And this is why your metaphysic is a crock of shite as I thought I am you and we are this 'mind' and don't exist so who is this rude, spiteful and mean person?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

One mans shit is another mans treasure.

For someone who rejects shit, you certainly like wallowing in it.

Life is always under construction...all answers are present to date....beyond to date, nothing exists, nothing is known, nothing has happened...so no answers or questions to worry your stupid head about..

All is present and complete right now.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dontaskme wrote:...
One mans shit is another mans treasure. …
"One", "another"?
For someone who rejects shit, you certainly like wallowing in it. …
"someone", "you"? See what I mean, your metaphysic is a crock.
Life is always under construction...all answers are present to date....beyond to date, nothing exists, nothing is known, nothing has happened...so no answers or questions to worry your stupid head about.. …
Some answers are present to date, many answers and questions will be asked in the future, some things are known, loads of things have happened...so lots of answers and questions and I worry not about such a situation.
All is present and complete right now.
Then I'm doing just fine with my questions.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

How to understand the meta mind...my pet name for ALL THAT IS 🤐

Now.

Since understanding cannot be an object to itself, just like sight cannot be it’s own object, I would like to point out that there simply is understanding. No need to dualistically divide it in an intellectual and a gut understanding. There is in fact no separate entity doing the understanding there is only the One expressing as understanding.

There is no you because there is no OTHER than you. AKA the uncaused cause.

Clearly, the Uncaused cannot be explained in terms of cause and effect. Since the mind's activity depends on polarity it can never conceive of that which is prior and beyond cause and effect. When this is clear, it is also clear that we will not get 'THE ANSWER' in a format that the mind can grasp. When reasoning recognises it’s own restrictions, the need for a conceptual explanation drops away, and the questioning just dissipates.

This is real philosophy, the identified mind hates real philosophy because it destroys the typically programmed conditioned indoctrinated well grooved in belief systems that have been spoon fed to it by others blindly and mistaking this programming to be reality.
In truth, truth destroys the ego to the point of feeling helplessly redundant., so it’s no wonder truth is rejected.Real philosophy is almost always rejected. It simply cannot handle the truth. 🤣

CH67

Post by CH67 »

Justintruth wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:59 am
CH67 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:08 pm From the onset, mental phenomena like thoughts or sensations should never be substantiated, i.e. be regarded as things (as does the author). Rather we are talking about (biological) abilities, e.g. the ability to consciously process a part of the sensory input or to speak or to perceive. Mind is no substance/thing because if it were, we would be awake and thinking all the time as even an only temporarily "mindless mind" or "consciousless consciousness" would be a logical (!) contradiction in itself. Narcosis and other clinical conditions clearly prove the one-sided dependency of psychological capabilities from sufficiently intact brain functions and there is absolutely no scientific evidence for the existence of mental phenomena (e.g. perception) in the absence of respective brain function. Thus while it is trivial to say that psychological abilities are not identical with physiological processes in brains, it is obvious that these abilities are part of the physical and biological world we are living in. To understand the development of these capabilities on the basis of brain functioning is now subject to Cognitive Neuroscience. The brain-mind problem is no longer a philosophical problem anymore but a scientific one. We overcame the concept of the élan vital to explain life or the phlogiston to explain warmth, and we are now overcoming substantiating concepts of soul, minds and consciousness in favor of complex physical processes and functions bearing these astounding psychological abilities of living systems. Physicalism changes the way we look at phenomena. Dualists, not materialistic monists are stuck in their own linguistic traps.
Would you say though, that the these abilities to be conscious are not predicted or derivable from the standard model of physics for an arbitrary device? In other words, can we at least say that current physical laws will not predict a conscious ability no matter what the arrangement of standard particles is? They just predict another state vector in Hilbert space and we have the various operators that we could use to determine measurements. But there are not operators that would have as input the state of an arbitray set of physical particles as defined by the standard model of particle physics and have as output what its conscious abilities are. RIght?
Life would also not be predicted from elementary physics, I guess. But introducing a substance, élan vital, would not explain this phenomenon but only protract true understanding. Dito for soul, consciousness, mind, I/me etc. These substantives do not describe substances but abilities, processes, features of processes. There is no consciousness observing or detecting sensations - but sensations can be processed unconsciously or consciously (the latter has very specific neural correlates). It is just an improved biological ability of perception and anticipation, finally action planning.
CH67

Post by CH67 »

jayjacobus wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:57 pm ... except how the biological information processing is perceived by consciousness is not known.
This nicely shows how deeply misconceived conscious information processing usually is due to latent dualism. Of course, there is no consciousness existing that observes something - but either subsconscious or conscious processing of optical and other sensory input. No I, no soul, no mind. Only a specific kind of information processing occurring in a highly complex biological system.
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Dontaskme wrote:
You seem to imply that consciousness disappears after the death of the body but I say there is no body that is conscious so no consciousness to disappear. All bodies are appearing and disappearing in no thing. And this is known via knowledge and knowledge is what informs the illusion
that is no thing appearing as everything
The fundamental difference between our respective positions is that you think consciousness is non existent while I think that it is experienced by conscious beings. You think that all of reality is an illusion and consciousness is an illusion too. And that reality is really nothing because conscious beings that experience it are themselves not actually real. And that because they are not actually real they do not exist and therefore cannot die
So all of conscious experience is an illusion. And life and death are illusions too

I understand your position completely I just do not think it is true. And the reason I think that is because the illusion is too real for it to be
an illusion. Your position is very interesting philosophically but empirically it is not convincing at all which is why I cannot accept it as such
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

From another thread, where Mike Strand asked about non-locality:
Mike Strand wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:07 pm Another example is "spooky action at a distance" -- two particles widely separated in space (our understanding of space) which seemingly move in sync. Is there a larger space with dimensions we humans can't experience?

Your comments here, once again, are appreciated!
My answer:

We call that phenomenon "non-locality".

I have an explanation/cause/theory for it. It's based on the interpretation of the collapse of the wave function, that says the collapse is caused by the observer. Not all researchers agree on that though, dispite its logic (A causes B).

In non-locality - which is not a natural phenomena IMO - the observation itself keeps the particles in a common position. As long as they are observed, they cannot break that common position. So when they get seperated and one of them has its position changed, the other one is forced to do the same, due to the observation.
In that theory, non-locality will not work if only one of the particles is observed after seperation.

The beauty of that theory is that the cause of the cotwf and non-locality is exactly the same.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:07 am How to understand the meta mind...my pet name for ALL THAT IS 🤐
You can't 'understand' the Noumena by definition.
Now.

Since understanding cannot be an object to itself, ...
Sure it can, think of something you understand now examine the images, sounds, touch/'feelings', smells, sounds that it consists of then explore the sequences. Alternatively, think of an understanding you have and then take a birds-eye viewpoint of it or think of an understanding you have and consider it from anothers viewpoint, etc, tc.
just like sight cannot be it’s own object, …
Sure it can, examine your visual field, pay particular attention to the edges, the foveal and the peripheral.
I would like to point out that there simply is understanding. …
Nothing is simple about 'understanding'.
No need to dualistically divide it in an intellectual and a gut understanding. …
No idea what you mean by 'intellectual' here but I agree that an 'understanding' is a complex which includes 'feelings'.
There is in fact no separate entity doing the understanding there is only the One expressing as understanding. …
You cannot know this but if you can can you tell me the techniques and methods by which you came to this understanding so I can try it out for myself please.
There is no you because there is no OTHER than you. AKA the uncaused cause. …
Also known as 'God' by the religious, et al. You seem to confuse 'you' with this "One"?
Clearly, the Uncaused cannot be explained in terms of cause and effect. Since the mind's activity depends on polarity it can never conceive of that which is prior and beyond cause and effect. When this is clear, it is also clear that we will not get 'THE ANSWER' in a format that the mind can grasp. When reasoning recognises it’s own restrictions, the need for a conceptual explanation drops away, and the questioning just dissipates.
No it doesn't, it just restricts Reason to the things and questions it can think about. You on the other hand keep using it to talk about what you cannot? Still, since the 'mind' cannot grasp it how are you grasping it?
This is real philosophy, the identified mind hates real philosophy because it destroys the typically programmed conditioned indoctrinated well grooved in belief systems that have been spoon fed to it by others blindly and mistaking this programming to be reality. …
But we are all this One so who are these 'identified minds'?

You really should read some actual Philosophy before you pass judgement upon it.
In truth, truth destroys the ego to the point of feeling helplessly redundant., so it’s no wonder truth is rejected. …
Don't have much time for the Fraudians but what do you think the super-ego is for? If you have destroyed your ego then is your id running wild?
Real philosophy is almost always rejected. It simply cannot handle the truth. 🤣
Always the cry of the Gnu.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

surreptitious57 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:49 pm
The fundamental difference between our respective positions is that you think consciousness is non existent while I think that it is experienced by conscious beings. You think that all of reality is an illusion and consciousness is an illusion too. And that reality is really nothing because conscious beings that experience it are themselves not actually real. And that because they are not actually real they do not exist and therefore cannot die
So all of conscious experience is an illusion. And life and death are illusions too
Yes that is my position. All knowledge is an appearance of not-knowing. All concepts are sourced from the non-conceptual.. From my position, all knowledge is an illusory appearance appearing real. In that knowledge informs the illusory reality that there is a knower separate from the known which is impossible, it is possible only in the sense that the separation is an illusion. In reality the knower, knowing and known are only ever ONE in the same instant, namely, nowhere, nowhere. This can be proven in DEEP meditation, when the assumed separate ''I thought'' can be observed to drop away leaving pure unborn presence which does not drop away. This PURE UNBORN PRESENCE is there in deep sleep, under anaesthesia, in death, and in life, it pervades absolutely every conceptual state aka knowledge, while it itself is not a state...this illusion of being in a state, aka ''otherness'' aka the ''I thought'' can be observed to drop away, because you are the observer, and everything is of you, in you, and there is nothing outside of you, but more you. I'm not talking about the personal you that comes and goes here, I'm talking about the impersonal you that does not come and go... the universal I
surreptitious57 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:49 pmI understand your position completely I just do not think it is true. And the reason I think that is because the illusion is too real for it to be
an illusion. Your position is very interesting philosophically but empirically it is not convincing at all which is why I cannot accept it as such
I accept your position. The illusion is too real to be an illusion.

The problem is with the word ''illusion''

I the context in I usually use the word ''illusion'' is by saying that which appears to look real is not real. Life is real and not real, we have to include both sides of the mirror when using concepts to describe this since language is dual by it's very nature.

Now, from my position, the mirror (aka consciousness, aka awareness) is inseparable from it's contents, it's actually ONE reflecting itself as two. It's non-dual so to speak, real, and unreal. Remember, the word ''real'' would have no meaning without a complimentary opposite. In the same way, a doorknob would have no meaning without relating it to a door.

The problem is ONE doesn't really have an opposite, there is nothing in relationship with it except it's self...and that is the illusion, it's the illusion of ''other'' separate from itself.

That's my position that I refuse to let go of because it's my only understanding that is clear to me about the nature of reality.

And of course, you are entitled to your position as well, I accept your right to see what ever you want to see...I'm simply reporting my own experience how I see it. It's my opinion only.

Also, a good analogy for me to use to explain what I mean by illusion is as follows...when we see a human illusionist performing a trick on stage by sawing his woman assistant in half, the trick looks as if it's really happened, but it was just an illusion, it didn't happen, the woman wasn't cut into two, she was whole the entire time. In the trick, it does appear to look like she was cut into two halves, but this was an illusion appearing to be real.

That's how I try to explain this, that the illusion is real, it's a real illusion.

jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:44 am
I accept your position. The illusion is too real to be an illusion.

The problem is with the word ''illusion''

I the context in I usually use the word ''illusion'' is by saying that which appears to look real is not real. Life is real and not real, we have to include both sides of the mirror when using concepts to describe this since language is dual by it's very nature.
Is illusion another word for perception or have you redefined perception to mean illusion.

Illusion is not understandable unless the illusion can be explained with facts. If it is conjecture, it is not facts.

There is circumstantial evidence that perceptions are perceptions of reality.

Instruments confirm what the senses sense are real.

Determinism come from real matter and real energy otherwise it is not determinism.

The body responds to what the senses sense and the result is expected and consistent.

Consciousness has no eyes, ears or any sense organs so reality can only arrive through senses. (there is no possible direct contact between consciousness and reality).

People who advocate a grand illusion don't control the illusion (or even understand the illusion) so what's the point?

In fact people who advocate the grand illusion eat, drink, work, sleep, play in the same way as realists.

A material world is one explanation for reality even for the illusionist (he doesn't know otherwise).

Why someone would insist on an illusion with so little to go on is suspicious. It seems (to me) like a hoax.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

people who advocate a grand illusion don't control the illusion (or even understand the illusion) so what's the point?
Asking what’s the point is a pointless question since there is only what’s appearing to be happening, including opinions, there is no one in control of what’s happening, and nothing to understand about what one has no control over.

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

jayjacobus wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:28 pm
Is illusion another word for perception or have you redefined perception to mean illusion.
No I haven't.

There is here only perception. That which is reading these words right now on this computer screen is only possible because there is a perceiver ...but the words read are the perception appearing in the perceiver, the words ARE NOT the perceiver.

The perceived is only possible in the sense there is first and foremost a perceiver present, this means that the perceiver cannot be what is perceived... ''things'' are the perceived, and that which is perceived cannot perceive.

The illusion is the ''word'' itself... words have no direct reality. Language divides what cannot be divided. Knowledge informs what is essentially formless...all an illusion appearing real. A real illusion.

jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

An illusion is something that is wrongly perceived but in order to know, one must somehow identify what is right. If that can't be done, than what is said to be right is an imagination and not an illusion.