Camus: Between Yes & No

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

Camus: Between Yes & No

Post by Philosophy Now »

Ray Boisvert tells us about Camus’ essential ambivalence towards the world.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/98/Camus_Between_Yes_and_No
Dalek Prime

Re: Camus: Between Yes & No

Post by Dalek Prime »

How can Camus say that he meant Absurdism as a starting point in his discussions. Either the world is absurd, or it isn't. Once you've said this in the affirmative, there's not much left to discuss.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Dalek Prime wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:52 pm How can Camus say that he meant Absurdism as a starting point in his discussions. Either the world is absurd, or it isn't. Once you've said this in the affirmative, there's not much left to discuss.
I am not quite sure if absurdism refers to the world... it refers to humans' relationship to and with the world.

The cold, uncalculated materialism of the world, with the human yearning and enjoyment of beauty and pleasure. I tend to believe, after reading the essay, that this is what was meant by Camus as Absurdism.

The yes must incorporate the no... the human love of life must incorporate the cold, uninterested, motivationless mechanics of the physical world. Though humans are part of the physical world, of the "no", they possess an existence that screams "yes".

"Camus had projected a comprehensive series of works divided into three cycles. The first two, the cycle of the absurd and the cycle of revolt, he got to accomplish. The third could have taken him into a realm where an overarching ‘yes’ nonetheless incorporates the need to struggle associated with a ‘no’. He called it the cycle of love. To our dismay and loss, he never got to create it." Well, what's stopping someone else form creating this? Why ought it only be Camus to possess the idea and derive the solution for us? That's heroism. Unnecessary personal cult.
TheFourQuadrants

Post by TheFourQuadrants »

“Well, what's stopping someone else form creating this?”

THIS. I have worked on this myself. I love Camus. I’ve come up with some ideas. I collect his books and anything that will educate me about him. I hope people look beyond “L’etranger”. He had so much to say.

-1- wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:33 am
Dalek Prime wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:52 pm How can Camus say that he meant Absurdism as a starting point in his discussions. Either the world is absurd, or it isn't. Once you've said this in the affirmative, there's not much left to discuss.
I am not quite sure if absurdism refers to the world... it refers to humans' relationship to and with the world.

The cold, uncalculated materialism of the world, with the human yearning and enjoyment of beauty and pleasure. I tend to believe, after reading the essay, that this is what was meant by Camus as Absurdism.

The yes must incorporate the no... the human love of life must incorporate the cold, uninterested, motivationless mechanics of the physical world. Though humans are part of the physical world, of the "no", they possess an existence that screams "yes".

"Camus had projected a comprehensive series of works divided into three cycles. The first two, the cycle of the absurd and the cycle of revolt, he got to accomplish. The third could have taken him into a realm where an overarching ‘yes’ nonetheless incorporates the need to struggle associated with a ‘no’. He called it the cycle of love. To our dismay and loss, he never got to create it." Well, what's stopping someone else form creating this? Why ought it only be Camus to possess the idea and derive the solution for us? That's heroism. Unnecessary personal cult.
-1-

Post by -1- »

TheFourQuadrants wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:17 am “Well, what's stopping someone else form creating this?”

THIS. I have worked on this myself. I love Camus. I’ve come up with some ideas. I collect his books and anything that will educate me about him. I hope people look beyond “L’etranger”. He had so much to say.
Thanks, Quadrant! Someone had to do it. I don't have the time and energy for it, between loving life and enjoying life.

Wish you good luck and precise success!