Cutting God in Half

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

Cutting God in Half

Post by Philosophy Now »

Nicholas Maxwell on the urgent need to dissect the Deity.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/35/Cutting_God_in_Half
-1-

Re: Cutting God in Half

Post by -1- »

Very smart article. Oo, it was good. It presents the goodgod-powerfulgod dichotomy, and declares we must separate the god of good from the god of power. The paradox of suffering in a world of all goodness can be made possible if we lobotomize god, as the author suggests.

The author then suggests that after the lobotomy has been performed, then there is no more bridging between the soul and the body. The author somehow assumes that power owns the body, and loving owns the spirit.

In this newer problem, created by the perfect solution of an older problem to an unsolvable contradiction, is a deadlier attack on deism than simply not accepting the viability of a good god who is an all-powerful god while not good things are happening to people.

-------------------------

The author also recognizes that complete understanding of how absolute power can co-exist with absolute love, is a dilemma which can be solved instantly by letting the worship and belief go.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

-1- wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:33 amThe author also recognizes that complete understanding of how absolute power can co-exist with absolute love, is a dilemma which can be solved instantly by letting the worship and belief go.
What does 'absolute love' mean?

Where are you or the author getting this statement from?
-1-

Post by -1- »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:57 pm
-1- wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:33 amThe author also recognizes that complete understanding of how absolute power can co-exist with absolute love, is a dilemma which can be solved instantly by letting the worship and belief go.

Your question is valid, Attofishpi.

You are the Christian, Attofishpi, you tell us.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

-1- wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:06 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:57 pm

Your question is valid, Attofishpi.

You are the Christian, Attofishpi, you tell us.
Now this looks like you attempting to wangle yourself out of responsibility for backing the statement. I truly am confused by what you mean, 'absolute love', and indeed where this statement is coming from...is it in the bible? is it something the author made up?
Reflex

Post by Reflex »

-1-

Post by -1- »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:02 am

Now this looks like you attempting to wangle yourself out of responsibility for backing the statement. I truly am confused by what you mean, 'absolute love', and indeed where this statement is coming from...is it in the bible? is it something the author made up?
One hint: God loves people... no? Another hint: god is perfect... no?

Add the two together and you got absolute love.

I may not have used the proper term by Christian religions.

You are right, it is not an "officially" used phrase, so you were entitled to a definition.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

-1- wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:01 am
attofishpi wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:02 am

One hint: God loves people... no?
If God is in the human form, eg Christ, then sure.
But don't forget, as a man, that entitles him to hate.
-1- wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:01 amAnother hint: god is perfect... no?
The physics of our reality does appear so. Disease is the downer to that.
-1- wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:01 amAdd the two together and you got absolute love.
Absolute bollocks.
-1- wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:01 am I may not have used the proper term by Christian religions.

You are right, it is not an "officially" used phrase, so you were entitled to a definition.
And thankyou for providing one, an inadequate one nonetheless.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Actually, my definition has no faults... but I understand if you say it is not applicable to the god meme we have in religions.

In fact, the very god people worship and call infinitely good, has described himself, first person singular, as "I'm a mean and jealous god."

But you are the wrong audience for this. You think like I think, in this aspect: God (in your case) and the god meme (in my case) is not infinitely good. Disease, you mentioned.

So... I accept that you reject the application of "absolute love" to god, and I see your reason for it. However, my definition is not bollocks. It is a good definition of absolute love.

Many OTHER god believers, other than you, however, will state that god has infinite love for his children. The term "absolute love" has not occurred in literature, but I don't see why it can't.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

-1- wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:02 am Actually, my definition has no faults... but I understand if you say it is not applicable to the god meme we have in religions.
Actually, it does, you can't have it both ways. If God loves us like a man, he also hates some, ruling out this absurd notion of 'absolute love'.
-1- wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:02 amIn fact, the very god people worship and call infinitely good, has described himself, first person singular, as "I'm a mean and jealous god."
Precisely, hence you are ruling out your statement - 'absolute love'.
-1- wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:02 amBut you are the wrong audience for this. You think like I think, in this aspect: God (in your case) and the god meme (in my case) is not infinitely good. Disease, you mentioned.
Ah, good. We are all the more reasonable for it.
-1- wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:02 amSo... I accept that you reject the application of "absolute love" to god, and I see your reason for it. However, my definition is not bollocks. It is a good definition of absolute love.
But you know its not.
-1- wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:02 amMany OTHER god believers, other than you, however, will state that god has infinite love for his children. The term "absolute love" has not occurred in literature, but I don't see why it can't.
Yes, I just think the church preachers are overzealous in their sales pitch to the masses on this notion.
-1-

Post by -1- »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:15 am Yes, I just think the church preachers are overzealous in their sales pitch to the masses on this notion.
I think it's not the people they want to deceive, but they are sucking up to their god. Whether that's self-deception, or else knowingly denying their knowledge, is a mystery to me. Believers of course are scared of insulting their god, so they will call him good, great, perfect. Without regard to reality.

This is what god's fearmongering in the Judeo-Christian religions has created: a constantly escalating competition who can suck up to the (imaginary and powerful) god image better.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

-1- wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:43 am
attofishpi wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:15 am Yes, I just think the church preachers are overzealous in their sales pitch to the masses on this notion.
I think it's not the people they want to deceive, but they are sucking up to their god. Whether that's self-deception, or else knowingly denying their knowledge, is a mystery to me. Believers of course are scared of insulting their god, so they will call him good, great, perfect. Without regard to reality.
I agree they do have a propensity to suck up. Fools. God has put me through tests that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I've hated 'it' more than i've hated anything...and have regulary called 'it' every pigfucker under the Sun. In fact I think God\sages respect me all the more for it. The physics that constructs our reality, nonetheless, is perfect - disease aside - we are required to learn so we CAN finalise the perfection.
We should endeavour to become sages, no?
-1- wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:43 amThis is what god's fearmongering in the Judeo-Christian religions has created: a constantly escalating competition who can suck up to the (imaginary and powerful) god image better.
There is nothing imaginary about it, to some.
-1-

Post by -1- »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:55 am There is nothing imaginary about it, to some.
Right you are.
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

The universe has been very successful. Until recently it hadn't been evil or loving. God,if he existed, hadn't been evil or loving. What changed?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

jayjacobus wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:17 pm The universe has been very successful. Until recently it hadn't been evil or loving. God,if he existed, hadn't been evil or loving. What changed?
Were you around in an earlier time? How do you know this?