The Big Lebowski

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

The Big Lebowski

Post by Philosophy Now »

Matt Qvortrup contemplates Dude philosophy.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/123/The_Big_Lebowski
d63

Re: The Big Lebowski

Post by d63 »

Dear Editor: I cringe at the thought of nitpicking since it too often reeks of intellectual arrogance. It is too often used as an opportunity to display the individual’s ‘superior grasp’ of a given issue. And this, no doubt, tends to be especially prominent when it comes to writers published in Philosophy Now: a kind of pissing contest with success. And if there is any agenda in my haphazard do-to-see-what-happens process (the rhizomatic as described in Siobhan’s “Seeing the Future in the Past” –issue 123), it is the undermining of intellectual arrogance –that is among many other concerns. I only offer this to help a fellow writer out, one working under the same limitations and pitfalls as me.

That said, Matt Qvortup, in his philosophical take on the movie The Big Lewbowski (once again: issue 123) , quotes Baudrillard as bringing the issue of “the end of meta-narratives “into the postmodern discourse. Actually, that was Layotard in The Postmodern Condition based on a series of lectures. Baudrillard’s main claim to fame was the Simulacrum.

Still, the point stands. Lewbowski was basically a dude for which there were no grand narratives: a kind of Zen nihilism if you will. And this was accentuated by the more superficial nihilism of those pursuing him, those who claimed to be nihilists while presenting little more than a caricature of nihilism: that which is tapped in to the underlying nothingness of things.