What is the Philosophy of Mathematics?

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now
Posts: 733
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:49 am

What is the Philosophy of Mathematics?

Post by Philosophy Now » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:27 pm

Stephen Ferguson asks whether mathematical objects are real.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/19/What_is_the_Philosophy_of_Mathematics

jayjacobus
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:45 pm

Re: What is the Philosophy of Mathematics?

Post by jayjacobus » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:01 pm

Mathematics are representative not causative and this holds true whether the representation is of something tangible or something abstract. But maybe I am simplifying a more complex subject.

User avatar
Eodnhoj7
Posts: 1126
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:18 am

Re: What is the Philosophy of Mathematics?

Post by Eodnhoj7 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:34 pm

jayjacobus wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:01 pm
Mathematics are representative not causative and this holds true whether the representation is of something tangible or something abstract. But maybe I am simplifying a more complex subject.
Mathematics are causative if reality is an extension of 1.

jayjacobus
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:45 pm

Re: What is the Philosophy of Mathematics?

Post by jayjacobus » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:17 pm

Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:34 pm

Mathematics are causative if reality is an extension of 1.
Reality is not the extension of 1, the adjective nor 1, the noun. Neither the adjective nor the noun are causative.

Or are do you take a non-mathematical connotation like "He's the one."?

Viveka
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:06 pm

Re: What is the Philosophy of Mathematics?

Post by Viveka » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:32 pm

Different ways of stating tautologies in newer and thinner or broader manners.

User avatar
Eodnhoj7
Posts: 1126
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:18 am

Re: What is the Philosophy of Mathematics?

Post by Eodnhoj7 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:25 pm

jayjacobus wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:17 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:34 pm

Mathematics are causative if reality is an extension of 1.
Reality is not the extension of 1, the adjective nor 1, the noun. Neither the adjective nor the noun are causative.

Or are do you take a non-mathematical connotation like "He's the one."?
Adjectives and Nouns are both modalities (qualitative) and non-modal (quantitative) in the same time in different respects.

"One Man", in one respect, would equate "One" to a non-modality where "Man" could be observed as modal.

In a seperate respect "Man One" would equate "man" to a non- modality where "One" could be observed as modal (through "One" being a qualitative expression of unity).

In these respects what we understand of 1 as dualistic in terms of modal/non-modal or quality/quantity. As both qualitative and quantitative
in nature 1 can observe a causal nature where causality is merely the observation of structure.

If we look at the nature of causality, what we see is structure through symmetry where a cause leads to effect with the effect being further cause for further effect and simultaneously an approximation of the original cause. To observe cause and effect is to observe structure as extension of an original cause where all effect as cause is strictly the original cause as ever present.

Re-read this statement as it is an important point. In these respects causality is synonymous with structure and contains within its nature a dual quantitative/qualitative reality within itself.

In these respects number as symmetry, through 1, reflects this same causal nature as all number is strictly an extension of "1" as effect through "1n" and as an ever-present original cause through 1 as an inherent element. No number could exist without 1 as all number exists if and only if there are further numbers, which must manifest ad-infinitum. In these respects one is causal as the foundation for numerical symmetry, for the original cause (as structure) is a mirror-effect in itself.

What we understand of causality from a qualitative respect breaks down to "space" as a universal quality within all realities both abstract and physical. In these respects, One as qualitative in nature (considering all realites are both quantitative and qualitative) is One as a spatial entity.

And I will stop here because I am assuming you will disagree with one of the aforementioned points.

User avatar
Eodnhoj7
Posts: 1126
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:18 am

Re: What is the Philosophy of Mathematics?

Post by Eodnhoj7 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:28 pm

Viveka wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:32 pm
Different ways of stating tautologies in newer and thinner or broader manners.
To quote Wittgenstein loosely (and I mean "loosely"): "All tautologies are composed of further tautologies as tautology".

So even when we look at the nature of tautology it still breaks down to the philosophical problem of "one" and "many" or in quantitative terms: "1" and "1n".

jayjacobus
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:45 pm

Re: What is the Philosophy of Mathematics?

Post by jayjacobus » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:01 pm

"Red" as in red apple doesn't cause apple but refers to a normal property of apples. "3" as in 3 cows doesn't cause milk but refers to an amount of cows. "ax+b=c" refers to a line but doesn't cause the line. "1" doesn't cause 2 of anything. In this vein every mathematical expression is representative not causative. Numbers are a frame of reference which means a set of values to which comparisons can be made. They create a logical framework but are not the objects which are put in the framework. The framework is not causative. It is a frame of Reference.

I mention red because colors are also a frame of reference created naturally by the brain.

jayjacobus
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:45 pm

Re: What is the Philosophy of Mathematics?

Post by jayjacobus » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:25 pm

Viveka wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:32 pm
Different ways of stating tautologies in newer and thinner or broader manners.
Sometimes a simpler explanation is necessary for people who missed the point.

User avatar
Eodnhoj7
Posts: 1126
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:18 am

Re: What is the Philosophy of Mathematics?

Post by Eodnhoj7 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:10 pm

jayjacobus wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:01 pm
"Red" as in red apple doesn't cause apple but refers to a normal property of apples. "3" as in 3 cows doesn't cause milk but refers to an amount of cows. "ax+b=c" refers to a line but doesn't cause the line. "1" doesn't cause 2 of anything. In this vein every mathematical expression is representative not causative. Numbers are a frame of reference which means a set of values to which comparisons can be made. They create a logical framework but are not the objects which are put in the framework. The framework is not causative. It is a frame of Reference.

I mention red because colors are also a frame of reference created naturally by the brain.
1) Looking at frame strictly as the extension of reference implies "reference" to have a causal nature.

2) Referenced, defined as: "the action of mentioning or alluding to something", "use of a source of information in order to ascertain something", further implies the use of a framework (in this case math) in order to mirror a reality and give structure to it. As: "He referenced (mirrored) the information to give structure to his actions."

3) A framework, as structure, requires forms of symmetry within it to both maintain and give it structure and in these respect mathematics maintains a symmetry within itself as a from this perspective.

4) Mathematics, as a structure, reflects further structure and in doing so helps both the mathematics and the reflected structure to exist as structures or frameworks in themselves.

5) Mathematics as structure, which reflects further structure, maintains itself as a causal element in these respects as causality is merely the observation of structure. What we understand of cause is merely the manifestation of structure through effect as approximate cause.

6) Mathematics as structural framework is causal in nature in the respect that it mediates symmetry, and in doing so both maintains and manifests it.

7) Mathematics, as symmetry, is causal in the respect it reflects structure as a structure in itself.

jayjacobus
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:45 pm

Re: What is the Philosophy of Mathematics?

Post by jayjacobus » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:56 pm

Colors can be said to have a casual "nature" in that they cause the person to act in certain ways. But the colors themselves don't cause anything. Can you exemplify your statements so that I can see what you mean?

Viveka
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:06 pm

Re: What is the Philosophy of Mathematics?

Post by Viveka » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:50 pm

jayjacobus wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:25 pm
Viveka wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:32 pm
Different ways of stating tautologies in newer and thinner or broader manners.
Sometimes a simpler explanation is necessary for people who missed the point.
For instance, 2+3=5 is a tautology because 2 and 3 are defined as 5. Then I could say that 5+3=8. That's a further tautology based upon knowing 5 and 3 but uses them in a new and broadened manner by saying '+' and '5' and '3' is '8', '8' being the new broadening. However, this is a tautology because they a-priori refer to one another through '+' and refer to nothing new that isn't a-priori. Only physics can use mathematics without pure tautologies, as the '+' and 'numbers' can refer to real entities that have their own laws and meanings for symbols.

jayjacobus
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:45 pm

Re: What is the Philosophy of Mathematics?

Post by jayjacobus » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:00 pm

I used colors as an example because colors are straightforward and much less involved than mathematics. But if the frame of reference works for colors, I can build up to numbers later. I can see that you are caught up in a slight complication of numbers so my inclination to simplify is probably well founded,

(Whoops, wrong poster. But my post make some sense anyway,)

User avatar
GreatandWiseTrixie
Posts: 1595
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:51 pm

Re: What is the Philosophy of Mathematics?

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:52 am

Philosophy of math is, if you want to get good, stay calm and don't be afraid. Masculinity is bad for mathematics, feminity is good for math. Its a language ability. Ballers playin' bball at the basketball ain't gonna be good at math. Got to do math in the tub, like al capone.

User avatar
Eodnhoj7
Posts: 1126
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:18 am

Re: What is the Philosophy of Mathematics?

Post by Eodnhoj7 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:21 am

jayjacobus wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:56 pm
Colors can be said to have a casual "nature" in that they cause the person to act in certain ways. But the colors themselves don't cause anything. Can you exemplify your statements so that I can see what you mean?
Colors are merely grades of light, light doesn't cause anything?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests