The United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8363
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: The United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:14 pm

spike wrote:
Dubious wrote:If human rights whose essence is based on treating humans as humans regardless of differences then a UN declaration of such codified into numbered articles will be almost ineffective as already confirmed in places where it's most required and merely resolves into a bureaucratic argument of abstractions.
This doesn't make any sense.
Agreed.

Dubious
Posts: 2209
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 7:40 am

Re: The United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Post by Dubious » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:39 am

spike wrote:
Dubious wrote:If human rights whose essence is based on treating humans as humans regardless of differences then a UN declaration of such codified into numbered articles will be almost ineffective as already confirmed in places where it's most required and merely resolves into a bureaucratic argument of abstractions.
This doesn't make any sense.
Not my problem. Makes perfect sense to me.

spike
Posts: 850
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:29 pm

Re: The United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Post by spike » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:52 pm

Basically, in Europe, tribalism ended there with the UN solution of Human Rights. That finally brought freedom to Europe because of it. Now it's slowly changing the peace in the Arab/Muslim world because of the deteriorating occurring in tribalism there.

spike
Posts: 850
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:29 pm

Re: The United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Post by spike » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Donald Trump lost his campaign recently because he ignored the American human rights involved in Obamacare.

spike
Posts: 850
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:29 pm

Re: The United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Post by spike » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:46 pm

I think Human Rights is the biggest movement and advancement in people throughout the world. It is slow but generally it will advance itself like those in the Muslim world, who eventually will grow bigger, like people in Jordan. And believe it or not, human rights in Russia and China are slowly moving forward.

I don't think the famous philosopher Roger Scruton believes in international Human Right. I get the impression he is protecting local conservatives, like those such as UK people.

I don't think 'the end of history' and 'liberal democracy' have come to an end as many believe. They are connected with the growth of human rights. That movement has always required patients, like the growths that grew between the many parts of Europe throughout the years.

I hope I made sense.

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8363
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: The United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:32 pm

spike wrote:Donald Trump lost his campaign recently because he ignored the American human rights involved in Obamacare.
Stupidest comment of the week.

spike
Posts: 850
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:29 pm

Re: The United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Post by spike » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:48 pm

Human rights has greatly increased BIOETHICS & MEDICAL ETHICS throughout the world, due to the increase in human rights. Individuals can't think or truly become open minded if they can't handle Medical Ethics, which is slowly being increased in countries like China and Russia.

Belinda
Posts: 2806
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:13 am

Re: The United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Post by Belinda » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:55 pm

Dubious wrote:
If human rights whose essence is based on treating humans as humans regardless of differences then a UN declaration of such codified into numbered articles will be almost ineffective as already confirmed in places where it's most required and merely resolves into a bureaucratic argument of abstractions.
Amnesty International is useful as observer and communicator of human rights infringements. Signatories to the UNUDHR include countries where very ordinary people serve to remind erring regimes that their countries are signatories.The ordinariness of the commentators especially reminds regimes that they are observed. The global community counts for something even in a capitalist world where robber mafias of regimes are everywhere.

spike
Posts: 850
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:29 pm

Re: The United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Post by spike » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:40 pm

I don't think PN wrote about the famous philosopher Jeremy Bentham who disliked the idea of human rights.

RickLewis
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:07 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: The United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Post by RickLewis » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:49 pm

spike wrote:I don't think PN wrote about the famous philosopher Jeremy Bentham who disliked the idea of human rights.
True. I tried to work his famous quotation about rights into my editorial, but it didn't work out.

Belinda
Posts: 2806
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:13 am

Re: The United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Post by Belinda » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:28 pm

RickLewis wrote:
spike wrote:I don't think PN wrote about the famous philosopher Jeremy Bentham who disliked the idea of human rights.
True. I tried to work his famous quotation about rights into my editorial, but it didn't work out.
There are no natural rights. Or if there are natural rights we have not yet discovered them. Rights are man -made, as is the UNUDHR.

spike
Posts: 850
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:29 pm

Re: The United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Post by spike » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:00 am

There are no natural rights. Or if there are natural rights we have not yet discovered them. Rights are man -made, as is the UNUDHR.
There have been natural rights added and invented so humanity can advance and move forward. Without natural rights and human rights we wouldn't have developed order and civility.

osgart
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:38 am

Re: The United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Post by osgart » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:47 am

whether you are superior to others or not in terms of intellect or skill or success we still need to have equal human rights for all because at heart every moral person is the same .

Belinda
Posts: 2806
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:13 am

Re: The United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Post by Belinda » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:07 am

spike wrote:
There are no natural rights. Or if there are natural rights we have not yet discovered them. Rights are man -made, as is the UNUDHR.
There have been natural rights added and invented so humanity can advance and move forward. Without natural rights and human rights we wouldn't have developed order and civility.
You say "there have been natural rights added". Which " natural rights " are they, and on what basis are they considered to be natural?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests