Envisioning Society

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

spike

Re: Envisioning Society

Post by spike »

I was in the hospital the other day. Not often does one envision hospitals when envisioning societies. Hospitals generally come as after thoughts. And it is amazing the medical systems that advanced societies have developed.

I remember how much of the medical community collapsed after the Soviet system collapsed.
spike

Post by spike »

I don't think the articles on society were that great. The society PN discussed was of a limited type, like it was just of British society and of a certain order.

PN didn't discuss the different ideas in society that coexist in Britain. I am thinking about the Brexit aspect of society. The Brexit people voted and won on the bases that they wanted to return to a society that existed in the past. That society no longer exists. PN could have expanded on that society and the questionable improvements seen in it.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

I do sometimes. Which is why I have a door I can close, and a lock. Then I sleep better. :lol:
BradburyPound

Post by BradburyPound »

spike wrote:I don't think the articles on society were that great. The society PN discussed was of a limited type, like it was just of British society and of a certain order.

PN didn't discuss the different ideas in society that coexist in Britain. I am thinking about the Brexit aspect of society. The Brexit people voted and won on the bases that they wanted to return to a society that existed in the past. That society no longer exists. PN could have expanded on that society and the questionable improvements seen in it.

Not even that society existed. It's pretty much all in the mind, and different minds have different conceptions of it.

The vote was decided by a small percentage, many of whom were reacting to the Daily Hate articles which turned attention away from the Banking system as the cause of our woes to immigrants, terrorists, and foreigners. It's the establishment playing the old game of divide and rule.
spike

Post by spike »

The editorial about "Envisioning Society" writes, "But it does demonstrate that society is still liable to change, if only because it must adapt to the world that societies themselves change".

There are multiple societies in the world and some of them have collapsed, not just under their own weight but due to the disfunction of their governments and their distain or inability for change. And because some governments didn't adopt the change that could have improved the wellbeing of their citizens, social revolutions occurred.

One social revolution that occurred was the one against the Soviet Union and its communist rule. From the beginning this government wasn't really interested in enhancing individual wellbeing, something that is essential for any society's development and continuance. Another society that has collapsed in recent years is the one in Syria. However, a small aspect of Syrian society remains. But it's not a legitimate one since it serves only a tiny portion of what its society used to be.

The reason why these societies collapsed is because they never adopted the world change other societies adopted. The Syrian government has remained tribal and xenophobic, hence the revolution stared by those denied equality within Syria. Similarly, the USSR didn't share governing powers with its citizens, people who could have helped improve society, hence the revolution started there. However, both social revolutions were not the same. The last Soviet revolution was a peaceful one. The Syrian one, which seems never ending, is a ghastly violent one still rattling the world.
spike

Post by spike »

Turkey and Russian envision society much differently from that in the West. They resent the West, who have societies that support human and minority rights, and freedom of expression. Turkey and Russia jail their citizens for criticizing their leaders, something unheard of in Western societies.

Russia and Turkey believe they are democracies because they allow their citizens to vote. But that is a sham. For a society to be truly democratic it must encourage many alternative forms of democracy. Real democratic societies have the freedom to openly criticizes its leaders if they are unsatisfied with them. In Turkey and Russia its leaders jail those who criticize them.

Open societies, like those in the West, are superior to those that are closed, like in Turkey and Russia. Closed societies suffer from limitations. They suffer from diversity, the diversity and human capital that can invigorate faltering social systems.