Could There Be A Solution To The Trolley Problem?

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

Could There Be A Solution To The Trolley Problem?

Post by Philosophy Now » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:22 pm

Omid Panahi finds that finding a solution is not the problem.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/116/Co ... ey_Problem

Hobbes' Choice

Re: Could There Be A Solution To The Trolley Problem?

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:33 am

yeah the solution is not to pose the problem

OR

Use this 2 year old's BRILLIANT solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N_RZJUAQY4

Justintruth

Post by Justintruth » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:21 am

The non-trolly problem is the real one:

If I will be killed by an oncomming trolly unless I throw this person in front of it is it ethical to do so?

If I will be killed if I prevent someone from being run over by a trolly must I prevent him from being killed.

If you have a room with some people in it and give them each the same amount of money, no one will be rich and no one will be poor. To be rich there must be someone poor. Same with countries. The situation is justified by comparing two possible rooms one with everyone equally poor and the other with a difference but with the poorest being richer than all the others in the equal room room.

But whether that will happen is a matter of fact. It must be determined as a fact.

In a world where many babies die at their mother's breast, do you really believe that the would be poorer if things were a little more equal?

The real trolly problem involves how I can ignore the fact that I throw a switch to kill many in order to drive a nice car.

The standard trolly problem is just one to justify doing something in philosophy without examining the unethical nature of our behavior - because we know where it will lead and no one - student, faculty, administrator, financer wants to go there.

If you line the number of people up that have been killed in military operations in my lifetime, with 2-3 feet allocated in the line its amazing how much gasoline it woud take just to drive by everyone on a freeway.

There is something deeply disturbing about hearing discussions about the problem conducted in our culture. Its like watching everyone fiddle while Rome burns.

The non-trolly problem is the real one. What do we do about this situation we have.

vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:32 am

If it came down to it, in the unbelievably unlikely chance that anyone would ever be in this position, I suppose you could always toss a coin. Besides, isn't one decent person worth more than five arseholes?

Conde Lucanor

Post by Conde Lucanor » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:04 pm

It cannot have a "solution", if we mean by that an answer that meets logical conditions that would allow such assertion to be an objective truth. The Trolley Problem is a moral dilemma, not a logical or mathematical problem.

Necromancer

Post by Necromancer » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:48 pm

To enter a Kantian response is to kill as few people as possible by the original problem by Foot.
- To be the driver of the runaway tram is to say that it's better to be a driver who kills 1 person than 5 persons. That is, by "an idea in the Kingdom of ideas, one chooses the idea in such a manner that ...", paraphrased.

However, it's not obvious that one should (actively) kill to save people. Therefore, in the 2nd example of the article, the Kantian way would be to "cry out a warning as loud as it gets" or other, that is, to do your best so that people do not get killed despite the example says that 5 people are going to die. Well, well, in this example, I let them die.
- Because, if there is a screwed up idea that killing 5 people of a corrupt regime with your bomb to your body is going to save 1000 people the connection isn't that evident and that there are ways in the world where these 1000 people may fend for themselves in a better way, say.
- So there is this rather natural way for events to flow in order to either save people in one way or another or to prevent people falling prone to killings, whatever the reason, natural or man-made.

You work for train-safety in order to prevent train (or tram for the others) deaths or you become a political activist to prevent corrupt people from wielding power. This is the natural vein for being a truly good, Kantian person!

Thank you! :)

TSBU

Post by TSBU » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:28 pm

I'm more worried about the trolls problem.