Thinkers Against Xenophobia: How To Deal with Pride and Prejudice

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 8172
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Thinkers Against Xenophobia: How To Deal with Pride and Prejudice

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:08 pm

Terrapin Station wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Your point is? Did I say racism doesn't exist? Hatred doesn't exist? And those people in each photo seem to be from the same country. Everyone knows the US is a racist hell-hole. Why don't you try reading what I write? Btw, black and white alike are leaving South Africa and Zimbabwe in droves because it's now such a dangerous shit-hole to live in.
People go to war to stop a foreign culture with a completely different mind-set and values from taking over their country. Is that 'xenophobia'? The PC seriously need to get their act together and at least try to learn a bit of consistency.
This is definitely an aside, but when in recent times would you say that South Africa wasn't dangerous to live in?
People weren't leaving in droves like they do now.
'Zimbabwean President, Robert Mugabe, has instructed the Commissioner General of Zimbabwe Police Republic, Augustine Chihuri, to arrest and detain the whole Zimbabwean Olympic Team members over dismal performance.

An incensed Mugabe referred to members of the team as rats.'
Who would want to live under someone like that? Of course, Mugabe isn't racist at all. He hates everyone equally.

User avatar
Terrapin Station
Posts: 1488
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:18 pm
Location: NYC Man

Re: Thinkers Against Xenophobia: How To Deal with Pride and Prejudice

Post by Terrapin Station » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:02 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:People weren't leaving in droves like they do now.
'Zimbabwean President, Robert Mugabe, has instructed the Commissioner General of Zimbabwe Police Republic, Augustine Chihuri, to arrest and detain the whole Zimbabwean Olympic Team members over dismal performance.

An incensed Mugabe referred to members of the team as rats.'
Who would want to live under someone like that? Of course, Mugabe isn't racist at all. He hates everyone equally.
Maybe more people are leaving. I was asking because my wife is from South Africa--she lived there until 1994, and her mom, aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, nephews, etc., and all of those relations' own families, are pretty much all still in South Africa. They'd say it's always been dangerous, and many of them have been violent crime victims over the years.

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 8172
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Thinkers Against Xenophobia: How To Deal with Pride and Prejudice

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:54 pm

Terrapin Station wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:People weren't leaving in droves like they do now.
'Zimbabwean President, Robert Mugabe, has instructed the Commissioner General of Zimbabwe Police Republic, Augustine Chihuri, to arrest and detain the whole Zimbabwean Olympic Team members over dismal performance.

An incensed Mugabe referred to members of the team as rats.'
Who would want to live under someone like that? Of course, Mugabe isn't racist at all. He hates everyone equally.
Maybe more people are leaving. I was asking because my wife is from South Africa--she lived there until 1994, and her mom, aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, nephews, etc., and all of those relations' own families, are pretty much all still in South Africa. They'd say it's always been dangerous, and many of them have been violent crime victims over the years.
It was a magnificent place to live, if you were white, but as far as I can tell it's now a hellish place for both.

User avatar
Terrapin Station
Posts: 1488
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:18 pm
Location: NYC Man

Re: Thinkers Against Xenophobia: How To Deal with Pride and Prejudice

Post by Terrapin Station » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:46 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:It was a magnificent place to live, if you were white, but as far as I can tell it's now a hellish place for both.
Maybe for whites, I don't know. My wife is Indian.

spike
Posts: 850
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:29 pm

Re: Thinkers Against Xenophobia: How To Deal with Pride and Prejudice

Post by spike » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:22 pm

I do find this article by Anja Steinbauer odd, the link between xenophobia and pride/prejudice. I think one can be proud and prejudice without being xenophobic. I thought xenophobia was the irrational and intense dislike of people. I don't thing that being proud or prejudice necessarily equates with hating a certain group of people.

I could say I am prejudice against women taking or doing men's jobs because I don't think they are as capable as men. But I don't hate women or am xenophobic towards them.

Anja Steinbauer ends her article on Xenophobia with Albert Einstein having rumoured-ly bemoaned the fact that “it is harder to crack a prejudice than an atom".

Well, Ernst Mach didn't believe that the atom could be split, or cracked, mainly because one could not see an atom. Did that make him prejudice and therefore xenophobic? Was Mach xenophobic to the idea of splitting the atom or instead to Ludwig Boltzmann who postulated the idea? Perhaps Mach hated atoms because he couldn't see or understand them. Perhaps he didn't like Boltzmann.

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 8172
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Thinkers Against Xenophobia: How To Deal with Pride and Prejudice

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:25 pm

Terrapin Station wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:It was a magnificent place to live, if you were white, but as far as I can tell it's now a hellish place for both.
Maybe for whites, I don't know. My wife is Indian.
You said she was from South Africa.

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 8172
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Thinkers Against Xenophobia: How To Deal with Pride and Prejudice

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:31 pm

spike wrote:I do find this article by Anja Steinbauer odd, the link between xenophobia and pride/prejudice. I think one can be proud and prejudice without being xenophobic. I thought xenophobia was the irrational and intense dislike of people. I don't thing that being proud or prejudice necessarily equates with hating a certain group of people.

I could say I am prejudice against women taking or doing men's jobs because I don't think they are as capable as men. But I don't hate women or am xenophobic towards them.

Anja Steinbauer ends her article on Xenophobia with Albert Einstein having rumoured-ly bemoaned the fact that “it is harder to crack a prejudice than an atom".

Well, Ernst Mach didn't believe that the atom could be split, or cracked, mainly because one could not see an atom. Did that make him prejudice and therefore xenophobic? Was Mach xenophobic to the idea of splitting the atom or instead to Ludwig Boltzmann who postulated the idea? Perhaps Mach hated atoms because he couldn't see or understand them. Perhaps he didn't like Boltzmann.
'Xenophobia' is a word used by the thought-police to insult and silence anyone who disagrees with them. They use the word 'racist' in the same way. Both words have become meaningless through mis-use.

User avatar
Terrapin Station
Posts: 1488
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:18 pm
Location: NYC Man

Re: Thinkers Against Xenophobia: How To Deal with Pride and Prejudice

Post by Terrapin Station » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:38 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:It was a magnificent place to live, if you were white, but as far as I can tell it's now a hellish place for both.
Maybe for whites, I don't know. My wife is Indian.
You said she was from South Africa.
Yes. There are a lot of Indians in South Africa.

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 8172
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Thinkers Against Xenophobia: How To Deal with Pride and Prejudice

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:48 pm

Terrapin Station wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:Maybe for whites, I don't know. My wife is Indian.
You said she was from South Africa.
Yes. There are a lot of Indians in South Africa.
Well I suppose it might still be better than living in India. I wouldn't know. The many South Africans I've met who've left have been black or white South Africans and Zimbabweans. Well-educated too.

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8363
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Thinkers Against Xenophobia: How To Deal with Pride and Prejudice

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:40 am

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:People weren't leaving in droves like they do now.
'Zimbabwean President, Robert Mugabe, has instructed the Commissioner General of Zimbabwe Police Republic, Augustine Chihuri, to arrest and detain the whole Zimbabwean Olympic Team members over dismal performance.

An incensed Mugabe referred to members of the team as rats.'
Who would want to live under someone like that? Of course, Mugabe isn't racist at all. He hates everyone equally.
Maybe more people are leaving. I was asking because my wife is from South Africa--she lived there until 1994, and her mom, aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, nephews, etc., and all of those relations' own families, are pretty much all still in South Africa. They'd say it's always been dangerous, and many of them have been violent crime victims over the years.
It was a magnificent place to live, if you were white, but as far as I can tell it's now a hellish place for both.
That is a false impression.
Americans think that British people labour under the yoke of monarchical tyranny, and like the North Koreans are brainwashed into flag waving for Her Majesty.
South Africa might have a high murder rate; crime rate and poverty. But for everyday folk going about their business such things rarely if ever impinge upon their lives.

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: Thinkers Against Xenophobia: How To Deal with Pride and Prejudice

Post by Dalek Prime » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:50 pm

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:Maybe more people are leaving. I was asking because my wife is from South Africa--she lived there until 1994, and her mom, aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, nephews, etc., and all of those relations' own families, are pretty much all still in South Africa. They'd say it's always been dangerous, and many of them have been violent crime victims over the years.
It was a magnificent place to live, if you were white, but as far as I can tell it's now a hellish place for both.
That is a false impression.
Americans think that British people labour under the yoke of monarchical tyranny, and like the North Koreans are brainwashed into flag waving for Her Majesty.
South Africa might have a high murder rate; crime rate and poverty. But for everyday folk going about their business such things rarely if ever impinge upon their lives.
I know a lot of South Africans, and it did impinge upon their lives.

User avatar
Terrapin Station
Posts: 1488
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:18 pm
Location: NYC Man

Re: Thinkers Against Xenophobia: How To Deal with Pride and Prejudice

Post by Terrapin Station » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:51 pm

Hobbes' Choice wrote:South Africa might have a high murder rate; crime rate and poverty. But for everyday folk going about their business such things rarely if ever impinge upon their lives.
I mostly know my relatives there, but I know well 100 South Africans between relatives and friends. Every one of them has either been a crime victim, and usually violent crime (too), or has an immediate family member or close friend who has been a crime victim, again often violent crime. Carjackings, muggings, home invasions, etc. are unusually common. Heck, before she moved to the US and I met her, my wife was engaged and she and her fiance were home invasion victims--he was murdered right in front of her.

That was the whole motivation for Oscar Pistorius claiming a home invasion--that's very believable to South Africans because it happens so often.

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8363
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Thinkers Against Xenophobia: How To Deal with Pride and Prejudice

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:16 pm

Dalek Prime wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: It was a magnificent place to live, if you were white, but as far as I can tell it's now a hellish place for both.
That is a false impression.
Americans think that British people labour under the yoke of monarchical tyranny, and like the North Koreans are brainwashed into flag waving for Her Majesty.
South Africa might have a high murder rate; crime rate and poverty. But for everyday folk going about their business such things rarely if ever impinge upon their lives.
I know a lot of South Africans, and it did impinge upon their lives.
It is not a 'hellish place for both' now anymore than it ever was. In fact things are better than they were.

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8363
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Thinkers Against Xenophobia: How To Deal with Pride and Prejudice

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:18 pm

Terrapin Station wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:South Africa might have a high murder rate; crime rate and poverty. But for everyday folk going about their business such things rarely if ever impinge upon their lives.
I mostly know my relatives there, but I know well 100 South Africans between relatives and friends. Every one of them has either been a crime victim, and usually violent crime (too), or has an immediate family member or close friend who has been a crime victim, again often violent crime. Carjackings, muggings, home invasions, etc. are unusually common. Heck, before she moved to the US and I met her, my wife was engaged and she and her fiance were home invasion victims--he was murdered right in front of her.

That was the whole motivation for Oscar Pistorius claiming a home invasion--that's very believable to South Africans because it happens so often.
Pistorius emptied a fucking gun into a small shitter knowing full well who was in there. Dont' give me that crap about a home invasion!

But I agree that crime is rife there. It's called reaping what has been sown.

User avatar
Terrapin Station
Posts: 1488
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:18 pm
Location: NYC Man

Re: Thinkers Against Xenophobia: How To Deal with Pride and Prejudice

Post by Terrapin Station » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:37 pm

Hobbes' Choice wrote:Pistorius emptied a fucking gun into a small shitter knowing full well who was in there. Dont' give me that crap about a home invasion!
I'm referring to what he had claimed to police initially. His initial story was that they were home invasion victims and he'd accidentally shot Steenkamp. Since home invasions are so common in South Africa, he was hoping that his story would be plausible and the investigation wouldn't get too detailed.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests