Keeping It Real

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

Keeping It Real

Post by Philosophy Now »

marjoram_blues

Re: Keeping It Real

Post by marjoram_blues »

Wow !
Excellent editorial presenting New Realism, 'cutting edge philosophy from the horses' mouths'. Really enjoying the conversational style. All of the interviews are easy on the eye and most informative eg including the 7 keywords of New Realism, p11.
Also, the explanation of Ferrari's New Realism by Fintan Neylan p14 - so clear and well sign posted. But what is this right at the end:
' This is a philosophy which is adequate to dealing with the push and pressure of the cosmos' ?
Really ?
Next up, Sarah de Sanctis p17. Gotta love this insight into the translator's world and her enthusiasm 'to make philosophy easier to understand'. Sarah is all about keeping it real - simplifying 'to make it known and debated, than talk about it in a purist way to five other people on the entire planet'.

And there's SO much more....

All in all, many congratulations and thanks for this fascinating and readable issue. Consider me 'edified and astonished'.
Carry on juggling your balls ! Y'all did good 8)
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

It's a real shame you dropped a ball when it comes to the PN forum. The latest vileness from BW towards Arising deserves your serious attention. The vicious cycle continues, so predictably; a spectacular failure in 'edification and astonishment'.
A real success in turning who knows how many people off and away.

In the spirit of fairness, the excellence of other posters makes it all worthwhile.
For the opportunity to discover and discuss, thanks.
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

Many thanks for your kind words about my editorial. I really appreciate them.

The two moderators work pretty hard to keep this forum on an even keel and generally they message me if anything really dreadful happens. I know that some forum users irritate or aggravate or otherwise repel other forum users on a regular basis. This also happens at some real-life philosophy get-togethers. I still think (hope?) that the forum on balance provides more edification than aggravation. I hope so, anyway!

(When there are specific threads that you think deserve urgent action, please message me or AMod or iMod with a link and we'll take a look. ArisingUK hasn't complained about anything, at least, not yet!)
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

RickLewis wrote:Many thanks for your kind words about my editorial. I really appreciate them.

The two moderators work pretty hard to keep this forum on an even keel and generally they message me if anything really dreadful happens. I know that some forum users irritate or aggravate or otherwise repel other forum users on a regular basis. This also happens at some real-life philosophy get-togethers. I still think (hope?) that the forum on balance provides more edification than aggravation. I hope so, anyway!

(When there are specific threads that you think deserve urgent action, please message me or AMod or iMod with a link and we'll take a look. ArisingUK hasn't complained about anything, at least, not yet!)
You know, Arising and others deal with aggravation and the downright outrageous in their own inimitable,impressive and edifyiing manner.Perhaps it is the nearest I will ever get to a real-life philosophical get-together.

However, I feel that this particular cycle of continued abuse needs not so much the application of skilful wordiness but a transparent and strong response. I agree that the mods must be hardworking behind the scenes; we will never fully know or appreciate their ( usually) silent swift action. Thanks again.

Re: any possible complaining about a specific post I would tend not to pm (seems over the top). The options given when reporting seem not to apply. I've forgotten what they are...ah OK, got it now.
Lack of complaint by Arising - why would you expect one ?

Anyway, enough already.
I am still chewing my way through the magazine. Most delicious treat :)
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

I do not have the latest edition of PN in front of me yet; it will probably take 3 weeks or so for those of us in the far flung corners of the globe to receive our copy.

But just a brief answer to one of the questions in the editorial: " Above all, what exactly do we mean by real?"

'Real' is a label that we attach to those things/concepts/ideas that we consider have an existence beyond our own.
spike

Post by spike »

I am thinking New Realism could have been called Neorealism. But anything with neo in it seems to have a negative connotation. Take the term Neoliberalism. It is perceived as a negative term, like in this article, "Neoliberalism – the ideology at the root of all our problems" (I thought capitalism was at the root of all our problems.): http://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/a ... are_btn_fb

Perhaps someday we might think of New Realism as the ideology at the root of all our problems.