Is the Mind Physical?: Dissecting Conscious Brain Tissue

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Re: "The Mind has ALWAYS existed."

Post by Age »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:31 am Speakin' only for me: I'm inclined to think my mind (self/'I'/soul) came to be when I was conceived and probably will go the way of the Tyrannosaur when I draw my last breath.

Mebbe you're party to some kind of universal overmind, but I'm pretty sure I'm not.
I am not sure who this is directed at, not that it matters. But how could 'one's mind' be 'them'?

In other words, the word 'my' implies ownership, and in order to own some thing, then one would have to be separated from that thing. Unless of course you will SHOW us otherwise.

How could one have 'my ...(whatever)' but also at the same time be that (whatever)?

How could one be, what they have?

Post by Age »

Walker wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:37 am
henry quirk wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:31 am Speakin' only for me: I'm inclined to think my mind (self/'I'/soul) came to be when I was conceived and probably will go the way of the Tyrannosaur when I draw my last breath.

Mebbe you're party to some kind of universal overmind, but I'm pretty sure I'm not.
I’m no Einstein and I’d be suspicious of anyone who claims to be …

but with mathematics scientists can explain that attention causes a waveform to collapse into a distinct particle.
Has it be PROVEN without absolutely any doubt at all that attention causes a waveform to collapse into a distinct particle?

Could it be POSSIBLE that some thing else is occurring or happening here?
Walker wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:37 am Since all things are made of particles,
Is this also ABSOLUTELY TRUE without any doubt at all?

Are 'thoughts', themselves, for example, made of particles?

If no, then okay.

If yes, then what EVIDENCE do you use for this claim?
Walker wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:37 amthis would account for consciousness creating the body.
Creating what 'body'?

Sri Ramana Maharshi simply says that attention creates the body. [/quote]

Okay but what 'body' are 'you' or "they" referring to exactly?

Did attention, itself, create the body 'earth', for example?

If no, then okay.

If yes, then who and/or what had the attention, and where was that attention coming from exactly?
Walker wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:37 am The great Longchenpa expresses the same meaning with different words and references, should you need to triangulate some reading sources for personal clarification. The way I see it, need would be the only reason for doing such a thing. Now imagine a burning, survival-oriented need for such clarification, and you get the drift of what some folks go through.
All i got here was lost. The only drift I got was a way of course.
Walker wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:37 amJust look at the room around you. If you have no windows or potted plants or if you live on dirt, everything you perceive beyond the electronic communicating device (the electronic communicating device being the focus of your world at this moment of comprehension) is or was created under mind-created copyright, or by mind before copyright. Walls, floor, ceiling, and other products made with clever hands and machines,

… “but only God can make a tree.”
Now I am further LOST.

Correct me if I am wrong, but are you saying that whatever was created by human beings was created by human beings and every thing else was created by God?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Age wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:26 am
Walker wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:37 am … “but only God can make a tree.”
Now I am further LOST.

Correct me if I am wrong, but are you saying that whatever was created by human beings was created by human beings and every thing else was created by God?
This is the fourth reference to the meaning of the universe. Begin with the words. The words are in quotations. Google the quote to find the source of the quotation. The source is a poem that says mind creates the principle of tree, thus aligning comprehension with the reality of daily life, both directly perceived and accumulated. And, you’ve used up your one question from the endless stream.

Post by Age »

Walker wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:01 pm
Walker wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:37 am … “but only God can make a tree.”
Now I am further LOST.

This is the fourth reference to the meaning of the universe. Begin with the words. The words are in quotations.
I am getting further lost.

What was the first reference to the meaning of the Universe?
Walker wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:01 pm Google the quote to find the source of the quotation.
But I do not care about the source of the quotation.
Walker wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:01 pm The source is a poem that says mind creates the principle of tree, thus aligning comprehension with the reality of daily life, both directly perceived and accumulated.
Okay. But how does this at all relate to your allegation that mathematics "scientists" explaining attention causes a waveform to collapse into a distinct particle, and that since all things are made of particles, that this would account for consciousness creating the "body" (whatever the "body" is)?
Walker wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:01 pm And, you’ve used up your one question from the endless stream.
Are you saying that you will only answer one clarifying question, and then that is it?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"mathematics scientists can explain that attention causes a waveform to collapse into a distinct particle."

I don't believe that: the cat in the box is dead or is alive. It doesn't exist as both dead and alive till observation fixes its state.

As I say elsewhere: Reality exists independent of me. The apple on the table didn't spring into being on account of me, doesn't continue to exist on account of me, doesn't flicker into and out of being cuz my attention wavers.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"how could 'one's mind' be 'them'?"

My fingers, my face, my bald head, my crooked nose, my self, my mind, my soul: it's self-possession. It's self awareness. It's the assertion 'I am this'.

Don't let the limits of language blind you to the obvious.
henry quirk

Mannie

Post by henry quirk »

I missed this up-thread...

I'm not saying that's a wonderful analogy

...regarding my comment mind (self/'I') is software, brain/body is hardware. The two interdepend but are not synonymous.

I agree, it ain't perfect, but it captures the spirit of the composite individual in a way that doesn't off-put.

Post by Age »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:05 pm
My fingers, my face, my bald head, my crooked nose, my self, my mind, my soul: it's self-possession. It's self awareness. It's the assertion 'I am this'.
Correct me if I am wrong, but what you are saying here is; I am "what I posses", correct?

If no, then what are you saying?

If yes, then when you say, I have 'my' body, what you mean is I am 'my' body, which still does NOT make any sense. If, however, 'you' were to say, I am 'this' body, then that at least makes some sense, from where we could begin to discuss and dissect this further.
henry quirk wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:05 pmDon't let the limits of language blind you to the obvious.
But what is the "obvious" to 'you' is CERTAINLY NOT the 'obvious' to 'I'.

Also, I am the one who SAYS, that through language thee Truth of things can be SHOWN, learned, and KNOWN.

I do NOT see there being a limit to language, so that is just ONE MORE example of what is "obvious" to 'you' is NOT at all 'obvious' to 'Me'.

Remember, what is OBVIOUS to Me IS; Everything fits together PERFECTLY, forming a CRYSTAL CLEAR picture of ALL-THERE-IS.

And, what is also just as OBVIOUS, to me, is 'you' are STILL searching and seeking Answers. You are STILL NOT sure what is absolutely True, Right, and Correct, correct?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Age wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:42 am
henry quirk wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:05 pm
Correct me if I am wrong, but what you are saying here is; I am "what I posses", correct?

If no, then what are you saying?

If yes, then when you say, I have 'my' body, what you mean is I am 'my' body, which still does NOT make any sense. If, however, 'you' were to say, I am 'this' body, then that at least makes some sense, from where we could begin to discuss and dissect this further.
henry quirk wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:05 pmDon't let the limits of language blind you to the obvious.
But what is the "obvious" to 'you' is CERTAINLY NOT the 'obvious' to 'I'.

Also, I am the one who SAYS, that through language thee Truth of things can be SHOWN, learned, and KNOWN.

I do NOT see there being a limit to language, so that is just ONE MORE example of what is "obvious" to 'you' is NOT at all 'obvious' to 'Me'.

Remember, what is OBVIOUS to Me IS; Everything fits together PERFECTLY, forming a CRYSTAL CLEAR picture of ALL-THERE-IS.

And, what is also just as OBVIOUS, to me, is 'you' are STILL searching and seeking Answers. You are STILL NOT sure what is absolutely True, Right, and Correct, correct?
Like I say: I'm out.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Age wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:56 pm
Now I am further LOST.

This is the fourth reference to the meaning of the universe. Begin with the words. The words are in quotations.

Walker wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:01 pm Google the quote to find the source of the quotation.
Walker wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:01 pm The source is a poem that says mind creates the principle of tree, thus aligning comprehension with the reality of daily life, both directly perceived and accumulated.
Okay. But how does this at all relate to your allegation that mathematics "scientists" explaining attention causes a waveform to collapse into a distinct particle, and that since all things are made of particles, that this would account for consciousness creating the "body" (whatever the "body" is)?
Walker wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:01 pm And, you’ve used up your one question from the endless stream.
Are you saying that you will only answer one clarifying question, and then that is it?
To you I'm saying that with endless questions an intellectual beggar feeds off the goodwill and generosity of a community and offers nothing in return.

Figure that one out.
henry quirk

BINGO! Walker for the win!

Post by henry quirk »

With endless questions, an intellectual beggar feeds off the goodwill and generosity of a community and offers nothing in return.
Immanuel Can

Re: BINGO! Walker for the win!

Post by Immanuel Can »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:00 am With endless questions, an intellectual beggar feeds off the goodwill and generosity of a community and offers nothing in return.
I second that emotion.

Post by Age »

Walker wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:46 pm
Age wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:56 pm

To you I'm saying that with endless questions an intellectual beggar feeds off the goodwill and generosity of a community and offers nothing in return.

Figure that one out.
Now that was, for me, much easier to understand.

Also, with so called "endless" questions an "intelligent one" might be revealing what the community believes is true actually is NOT.

We will just have to wait and SEE.

Also, if the community is NOT providing answers to the so called "endless" questions, like for example, which can be witnessed here, in this forum, the "intellectual beggar" is starving.

Post by Age »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:00 am With endless questions, an intellectual beggar feeds off the goodwill and generosity of a community and offers nothing in return.
Will you provide an example of one clarifying question I asked you, which out of goodwill and/or generosity, you answered, or just answered?

Post by Age »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:05 am
I second that emotion.

Will you provide an example of one clarifying question I asked you, which out of goodwill and/or generosity, you answered, or just answered?