What’s The Most Important Question, and Why?

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Nick_A

Re: What’s The Most Important Question, and Why?

Post by Nick_A »

The most important question for me is: Who am I and what is my place within the universal scheme of creation?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Nick_A wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:02 am The most important question for me is: Who am I and what is my place within the universal scheme of creation?
Self-enquiry is quite a trip because when properly done the process takes control of your life, and you don’t have any choice about it. For awhile the ego filter remains dense but because you’ve reached the point of know the answer or die, the enquiry becomes the singular thought and measure of everything, moment-to-moment, and moment-to-moment doesn’t leave any place for analysis if you must stay current, as you must with choiceless enquiry. When only dabbling around with the question, before it becomes the totality of self-enquiry, analysis doesn’t scratch the itch, anyway. Full-blown self-enquiry tosses one into an involuntary eternity of the present, with no escape of distraction. The customary distractions to escape the present no longer distract, as each observed phenomena and each state of mind contain the enquiry. The enquiry becomes as ubiquitous as the reflection of you in all that you perceive. There is no more comfort from escaping into stories, or movies, or music, or love, or any other comforting distraction that was, because the enquiry is always there, every instant. The enquiry doesn’t care if you’re tired, it follows you right into sleep. Who Am I? Funny thing, the realized answer for all is the same for each, which clarifies the objective nature of differences.

Why is it the most important?

To continue living.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

According to Camus, in an absurd universe, the question to him was whether there is a point in continuing one's life. To me, it's whether one should bring life into the world to continue the absurdity... Sysiphus can roll the rock up the hill at his pleasure, but to assign someone else to do it is at best ethically suspect.

(Whaddya mean, no book?!) :|
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Walker wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:12 pm
Nick_A wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:02 am The most important question for me is: Who am I and what is my place within the universal scheme of creation?
Self-enquiry is quite a trip because when properly done the process takes control of your life, and you don’t have any choice about it. For awhile the ego filter remains dense but because you’ve reached the point of know the answer or die, the enquiry becomes the singular thought and measure of everything, moment-to-moment, and moment-to-moment doesn’t leave any place for analysis if you must stay current, as you must with choiceless enquiry. When only dabbling around with the question, before it becomes the totality of self-enquiry, analysis doesn’t scratch the itch, anyway. Full-blown self-enquiry tosses one into an involuntary eternity of the present, with no escape of distraction. The customary distractions to escape the present no longer distract, as each observed phenomena and each state of mind contain the enquiry. The enquiry becomes as ubiquitous as the reflection of you in all that you perceive. There is no more comfort from escaping into stories, or movies, or music, or love, or any other comforting distraction that was, because the enquiry is always there, every instant. The enquiry doesn’t care if you’re tired, it follows you right into sleep. Who Am I? Funny thing, the realized answer for all is the same for each, which clarifies the objective nature of differences.

Why is it the most important?

To continue living.
Analysis is primarily only good for self justification and picking up women impressed by pop psychology. There is a better way.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

...if there actually is one and why it hasn't been discovered yet.
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

Why is there a W on all the m&m's ?!
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

A_Seagull wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:54 am
artisticsolution wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:47 am 'Will you marry me' is more romantic.

But "Hey Sheila... you awake?" is more common.
:lol:
-1-

Post by -1- »

What’s The Most Important Question, and Why?

Who am I, what the fuck am I doing here, and who the fuck do I think I am that I can ask these questions.
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Yes, it is!
Reflex

Post by Reflex »

What must be in order for what is to be as it is? For only by answering this question can we live in accord with the universe instead of in opposition to it.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Here are your answers, Nick_A:

You are an idiot, and your place is in the washroom closet of the universe, right beside the mop and the hydrochloric acid.

Just joking!!

You're a thinker, and I appreciate that. I never put you yet on my ignore list because of exactly that. You slip out of answering tough questions, you ignore reason, and you simply live in your own world, but like JohnDoe7, despite your psychosis and your fatal failure as a philosopher, you are a nice and fun fellow.

JohnDoe7 is way too smart (high IQ) for his factual knowledge and for his very loose grasp of reality. He is bothersome, because of that. But you, Nick_A, are just the right combination of fun, nudity, deep thought, and impeccable English.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Dubious wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:56 am What’s The Most Important Question, and Why?
I like this the best.
Walker

Post by Walker »

-1- wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:21 am
Dubious wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:56 am What’s The Most Important Question, and Why?
I like this the best.
That's wonderful, 'specially for those looking for something to celebrate.
-1-

Post by -1- »

QuantumT wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:27 pm Why is there a W on all the m&m's ?!
Menage trois. 1 W(oman) 2 m(en).

Sweet as sugar, intoxicating as chocolate.

Oh, I almost forgot: woman on top. Always. (W on ALL mnms.)
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

-1- wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:18 am
Here are your answers, Nick_A:

You are an idiot, and your place is in the washroom closet of the universe, right beside the mop and the hydrochloric acid.

Just joking!!

You're a thinker, and I appreciate that. I never put you yet on my ignore list because of exactly that. You slip out of answering tough questions, you ignore reason, and you simply live in your own world, but like JohnDoe7, despite your psychosis and your fatal failure as a philosopher, you are a nice and fun fellow.

JohnDoe7 is way too smart (high IQ) for his factual knowledge and for his very loose grasp of reality. He is bothersome, because of that. But you, Nick_A, are just the right combination of fun, nudity, deep thought, and impeccable English.

I don’t avoid hard questions I welcome them. I believe Simone Weil was right when she wrote: "When a contradiction is impossible to resolve except by a lie, then we know that it is really a door." Most like to argue the two sides of the contradiction so much that they never allow themselves to experience the door. You have to ask yourself if you are willing to experience the door or are you content to argue over what keeps it closed?

We seem to disagree on the purpose of philosophy. You seem to believe its purpose is a means for justifying the dualistic mind by arguing details. I believe philosophy worthy of the name offers a means to remember what it means to be human. Jacob Needleman describes it.

From Jacob Needleman’s book: “The Heart of Philosophy.”
Chapter 1

Introduction

Man cannot live without philosophy. This is not a figure of speech but a literal fact that will be demonstrated in this book. There is a yearning in the heart that is nourished only by real philosophy and without this nourishment man dies as surely as if he were deprived of food and air. But this part of the human psyche is not known or honored in our culture. When it does breakthrough to our awareness it is either ignored or treated as something else. It is given wrong names; it is not cared for; it is crushed. And eventually, it may withdraw altogether, never again to appear. When this happens man becomes a thing. No matter what he accomplishes or experiences, no matter what happiness he experiences or what service he performs, he has in fact lost his real possibility. He is dead.

That is why I started the “Dualistic Mind” thread. I know it is only for a minority having experienced the limitations of the dualistic mind. As opposed to avoiding tough questions it offers an incentive to explore them from a triune perspective. It may be hated but for some it is needed so why not post certain links for those open to the transition from relance on the dualistic mind into the triune mind for the sake of opening to tough questions? That IMO is meaningful philosophy.