Could Two People Inhabit One Body?

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

Re: Could Two People Inhabit One Body?

Post by bahman »

Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:00 am
bahman wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:34 pm I was not abused yes I have contact with spiritual beings by vision, voice, etc.
I'm glad you were not abused. So, are you saying you have what mistakenly gets called a disorder, DID?
Yes, I am saying that it is not a disorder. Some people just have spiritual experiences.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

bahman wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:54 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:00 am
bahman wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:34 pm I was not abused yes I have contact with spiritual beings by vision, voice, etc.
I'm glad you were not abused. So, are you saying you have what mistakenly gets called a disorder, DID?
Yes, I am saying that it is not a disorder. Some people just have spiritual experiences.
Involving have subpersonalities taking over control and often without knowledge of each other? IOW blackouts, where one subpersonality has been in control and done things and these actions and the other personality are not remembered? I find it hard to believe a person having spiritual experiences would get a DID diagnosis. Other diagnoses, sure. And I have all sorts of problems with the DSM5 and psychiatry and the diagnosing of alternative experiences, etc. But DID? Did someone suggest you had DID and why?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:22 pm
bahman wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:54 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:00 am I'm glad you were not abused. So, are you saying you have what mistakenly gets called a disorder, DID?
Involving have subpersonalities taking over control and often without knowledge of each other?
Subconscious mind is aware of what we are doing. Conscious mind is in charge of controling some things, not all things though. Most of the time, conscious mind is not aware of what subconscious minds do. I am aware of it. For example now I am typing this text to you. I cannot be conscious of typing and thinking of the subject at the same point. So there are at least two minds involved in this process. I talk with my subconscious mind whenever I wish.
Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:22 pm IOW blackouts, where one subpersonality has been in control and done things and these actions and the other personality are not remembered?
Subconscious mind is aware of everything including what you think and want. You might not be aware of him/her.
Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:22 pm I find it hard to believe a person having spiritual experiences would get a DID diagnosis. Other diagnoses, sure. And I have all sorts of problems with the DSM5 and psychiatry and the diagnosing of alternative experiences, etc. But DID? Did someone suggest you had DID and why?
My doctors were telling me that my spiritual experiences are illusions giving the medicine to me that has never worked.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

bahman wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:37 pm My doctors were telling me that my spiritual experiences are illusions giving the medicine to me that has never worked.
Sure, many will do that. However to get under their control, if you were, you could not simply be having spiritual experiences. You would also need to have some at least perceived problems with things like work, school, social life, nutrition, self-care, violence, hygeine. If you have spiritual experiences without severe societal breaches, you don't get under their control. At least not in most of the West. Behavior leads to oppression not beliefs and not inner experiences.

Your description of being aware does not sound at all like DID. Did you get that diagnosis and on what grounds? People with DID generally, at some point, prior to diagnosis have incredible problems navigating life. They might get the diagnosis if they consider themselves to be suffering and engage a psychologist, say.

And look, this is all personal information. But it seemed like you were disagreeing with assertions I made based on your experience of being DID and so far you don't say things that make me think you would get a DID diagnosis.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Iwannaplato wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:58 pm
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:37 pm My doctors were telling me that my spiritual experiences are illusions giving the medicine to me that has never worked.
Sure, many will do that. However to get under their control, if you were, you could not simply be having spiritual experiences. You would also need to have some at least perceived problems with things like work, school, social life, nutrition, self-care, violence, hygeine. If you have spiritual experiences without severe societal breaches, you don't get under their control. At least not in most of the West. Behavior leads to oppression not beliefs and not inner experiences.
I see.
Iwannaplato wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:58 pm Your description of being aware does not sound at all like DID. Did you get that diagnosis and on what grounds? People with DID generally, at some point, prior to diagnosis have incredible problems navigating life. They might get the diagnosis if they consider themselves to be suffering and engage a psychologist, say.

And look, this is all personal information. But it seemed like you were disagreeing with assertions I made based on your experience of being DID and so far you don't say things that make me think you would get a DID diagnosis.
I can experience other beings within myself.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

I am given to understand the multiple personality syndrome is exaggerated and the film "Three faces of Eve" is generally responsible for the myth.

Psychiatric theory now uses the phrase Dissociative identity disorder, and although it is very remarkable there is no way you could ever describe it as two people in one body.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

bahman wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:57 pm I can experience other beings within myself.
Well, that's not DID. Do you dissociate? Blackouts? Find out one of these beings has been in charge and done this with the one body in a period of time of which you have no memory? Do you find yourself places and you don't know how you got there? Do you find yourself dressed in ways you do not remember dressing? Do people call you by other names? And sometimes people who do not know each other seem to have the same impression you have a different name? Do you experience people and things around you as unreal? Are you detached from your experiences, like watching a film?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:18 am
bahman wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:57 pm I can experience other beings within myself.
Well, that's not DID. Do you dissociate? Blackouts? Find out one of these beings has been in charge and done this with the one body in a period of time of which you have no memory? Do you find yourself places and you don't know how you got there? Do you find yourself dressed in ways you do not remember dressing? Do people call you by other names? And sometimes people who do not know each other seem to have the same impression you have a different name? Do you experience people and things around you as unreal? Are you detached from your experiences, like watching a film?
Non of them.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

What are the criteria for diagnosing DID?
I'm all eyes!
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Agent Smith wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:03 am What are the criteria for diagnosing DID?
I'm all eyes!
Well....first off....
Do you dissociate? Blackouts? Find out one of these beings has been in charge and done this with the one body in a period of time of which you have no memory? Do you find yourself places and you don't know how you got there? Do you find yourself dressed in ways you do not remember dressing? Do people call you by other names? And sometimes people who do not know each other seem to have the same impression you have a different name? Do you experience people and things around you as unreal? Are you detached from your experiences, like watching a film?
So....
You gotta have blackouts, periods of lost time. You need to have different personality types and obvious ones, being captain of the ship. IOW you are a soft, shy person with a crackly voice, then an hour later you sound like a hypermasculine drill sargent, the.......Posture, tone of voice, knowledge levels, age, even sex, varying significantly. They can even have different health problems. I suppose bahman could be one identity, the one that posts here, but so far I didn't get the impression he was DID, with obvious disclaimers that he should seek out a professional and deal with someone in person to actually find out. I don't think many self-diagnose, not that there are many to begin with.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Iwannaplato wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:23 pm
Agent Smith wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:03 am What are the criteria for diagnosing DID?
I'm all eyes!
Well....first off....
Do you dissociate? Blackouts? Find out one of these beings has been in charge and done this with the one body in a period of time of which you have no memory? Do you find yourself places and you don't know how you got there? Do you find yourself dressed in ways you do not remember dressing? Do people call you by other names? And sometimes people who do not know each other seem to have the same impression you have a different name? Do you experience people and things around you as unreal? Are you detached from your experiences, like watching a film?
So....
You gotta have blackouts, periods of lost time. You need to have different personality types and obvious ones, being captain of the ship. IOW you are a soft, shy person with a crackly voice, then an hour later you sound like a hypermasculine drill sargent, the.......Posture, tone of voice, knowledge levels, age, even sex, varying significantly. They can even have different health problems. I suppose bahman could be one identity, the one that posts here, but so far I didn't get the impression he was DID, with obvious disclaimers that he should seek out a professional and deal with someone in person to actually find out. I don't think many self-diagnose, not that there are many to begin with.
That's an excellent synopsis of DID if it's just a wild guess. Kudos to you sir/madam, as the case may be.