Could Two People Inhabit One Body?

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

Could Two People Inhabit One Body?

Post by Philosophy Now »

HexHammer

Re: Could Two People Inhabit One Body?

Post by HexHammer »

It's strange, it's only in USA that multiple personal disorder exist.
uwot

Post by uwot »

HexHammer wrote:It's strange, it's only in USA that multiple personal disorder exist.
I don't think that's true, HexHammer. It's certainly not the only place where single personality disorder exists.
sulu

Post by sulu »

There is a movie entitled "Jonathan" based on this theory of "single body multi-consciousness." After viewing the movie I searched the term and read the article by Nicola Webber (2010). I have very limited knowledge of Philosophy but my curiosity was piqued. My initial thought was, something similar to bipolar but, bipolar involves mood swings. The rambling begins as seen from the perspective of "Jonathan/John."
My thoughts on the examples put forward. In Puccetti's example of Amanda/Lucy living in France and England, I pondered the possibility of "merging" occurring. In this instance, the week is divided into two allowing each "person" time and space. My understanding of this scenario is that they are unaware of the other existence therefore someone has to transport her asleep from France to England and back resulting in "short-term amnesia." On the other hand for "Jonathan/John," 24 hours was split into two, who were "living together" therefore "merging" was easier.
The example given for Parfit, involving Frank and Jane was even more intriguing. Male right and female left were damaged "there would be enough psychological connectedness with both Frank and Jane in the new brain/mind for us to say they cohabit the same body at the same time" (Webber, 2010). I am wondering not so much about who will be present when Frank wakes up, but what may occur after a period of time. Will the brain remain male and female (if there is such a thing) or will a "merging" occur. If Frank's stronger side was the right side which he lost and Jane's stronger side was her right; will the right hemisphere retain control in this new environment and how would that affect, if any, Frank's person/body?
"Eugene Mills considers bodily fission," A-Body, B-Body, and C-Body. If B and C are derived from A then a second body is required. A-Body would have to be either B-Body or C-Body. If A-Body was a "Jonathan/John" and fission was carried out I am agreeing with the outcome. Two people in the same place at the same time in one body are now separated with the ability to remember ... I am retracting that ... If A-Body was a "Jonathan/John" and fission was done resulting in B-right and C-left they may/will have the memory of A but one part of A would have been "asleep" at the time of the incident and unaware of the incident. Although A-Body, B-Body, and C-Body were physically present at the accident one was mentally absent "asleep" based on the "Jonathan/John" scenario, and therefore would need to be told what happened....or maybe a bit of both was absent. (?)

This was an interesting topic my apologies for my ramblings but this is from the mind of one with very limited knowledge of Philosophy, and using the movie "Jonathan" as my guide. What was not included in the paper was the possibility of merging the two personalities into one.
Last edited by sulu on Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
bahman

Post by bahman »

There are in fact several minds inhabiting one body.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

bahman wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:20 pm There are in fact several minds inhabiting one body.
That reminds me...don't have anything on around 1500 tomorrow, me and Frank are going to pop in.
bahman

Post by bahman »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:20 pm
bahman wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:20 pm There are in fact several minds inhabiting one body.
That reminds me...don't have anything on around 1500 tomorrow, me and Frank are going to pop in.
What is 1500? Who is Frank?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

how many have been pregnant?

-Imp
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

There are twins born having one body but two heads, each an individual, so the question is folly.
Veganman

Post by Veganman »

According to my wife, two bodies can occupy one ... but I didn't ask her to go into detail. 🤔 As for multiple identity disorder, or DID. Cases usually arise from extreme abuse, so when someone said about it being mainly found in America, which I'm not sure I agree with, there could be a cultural influence as well.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

HexHammer wrote: Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:07 am It's strange, it's only in USA that multiple personal disorder exist.
These days it is called dissociative identity disorder and it's in England, Australia, Korea...for example. I am sure it is in other countries as well, the diagnosis that is.
bahman

Post by bahman »

It is not a disorder. Some people are just different.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

bahman wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:20 pm It is not a disorder. Some people are just different.
I can go along with this to a degree, but since generally these people are suffering a lot after being radically abused, we have the aftereffects of interperosnal trauma. We should not think of these people as sick. They had a natural reaction to systematic and extreme abuse. So, it's, yes, not really a disorder. But they are not 'just different' and can benefit from help. Their body/mind/souls radical reaction to their abuse, however natural, causes them a lot of problems later in life. It's a bit like saying someone who limps and has a bleeding sore on their knee is just different. In this case the trauma is mental. But they should not be looked at as weirdos. It's not a condition, it's a reaction. And generally they feel better as they unlearn their natural reaction to trauma.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:59 am
bahman wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:20 pm It is not a disorder. Some people are just different.
I can go along with this to a degree, but since generally these people are suffering a lot after being radically abused, we have the aftereffects of interperosnal trauma. We should not think of these people as sick. They had a natural reaction to systematic and extreme abuse. So, it's, yes, not really a disorder. But they are not 'just different' and can benefit from help. Their body/mind/souls radical reaction to their abuse, however natural, causes them a lot of problems later in life. It's a bit like saying someone who limps and has a bleeding sore on their knee is just different. In this case the trauma is mental. But they should not be looked at as weirdos. It's not a condition, it's a reaction. And generally they feel better as they unlearn their natural reaction to trauma.
I was not abused yes I have contact with spiritual beings by vision, voice, etc.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

bahman wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:34 pm I was not abused yes I have contact with spiritual beings by vision, voice, etc.
I'm glad you were not abused. So, are you saying you have what mistakenly gets called a disorder, DID?