News: November/December 2013

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

News: November/December 2013

Post by Philosophy Now »

Arthur Danto • Gunfight at the IK Corral • 3 million Welsh become organ donors • Pope says atheists may not be damned — News reports by Sue Roberts

http://philosophynow.org/issues/99/News ... ember_2013
MMasz

Re: News: November/December 2013

Post by MMasz »

The article titled- Pope Says Atheists Not Necessarily Damned

"Pope Francis has continued to move away from the ultra conservative image of the Catholic Church reinforced by his predecessor Benedict XVI. In response to a list of questions posed in La Repubblica newspaper by the founder Eugenio Scalfari, Pope Francis wrote, in an open letter “You ask me if the God of the Christians forgives those who don’t believe and who don’t seek the faith. I start by saying – and this is the fundamental thing – that God’s mercy has no limits if you go to him with a sincere and contrite heart. The issue for those who do not believe in God is to obey their conscience.”

Mr Scalfari, not a Roman Catholic, said the Pope’s comments were “further evidence of his ability and desire to overcome barriers and have a more meaningful dialogue with the world.” The Italian Union of Atheists and Agnostics failed to be impressed, responding “Why should a non-believer seek legitimisation from the Pope?” In a demonstration of the humbler style of this Pope, he has declined the use of the Popemobile within the Vatican preferring to take to a used Renault given to him by one of the priests.”

This is incredible! The pope is clearly departing from any semblance of Christian/Catholic orthodoxy. But he the pope, so he gets to make new rules to suit his fancy.

The last line of the first paragraph, "The issue for those who do not believe in God is to obey their conscience.” is particularly funny. I guess pedophiles and rapists get a pass so long as they "obey their conscience”.