Does God Exist?

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Blaggard

Re: Does God Exist?

Post by Blaggard »

Conde Lucanor wrote:
richardtod wrote:
Can someone please work out the probability that God exists?
Which god, the Judeochristian god, the Aztech god, or Spinoza's god? They all have different odds.

Actually they all have the same odds, zero chance. There's no way any God or gods would associate themselves with any religion even if they did exist. I mean come on have you seen them all just a massive sea of hypocrisy wrapped up tight in a bundle of ignorant I am right and you are wrong nonsense that you would of thought the human race might of grown out of at some point.

And how would you go about putting an odds value on faith anyway: how many people believe, how many countries the so called beleivers invaded before they were wiped out by history, how much culture they had, or how little. The price of fish because it's all just meaningless, I mean what are you variables? Does Thor not exist because he is less worshipped than The Dagda or the great elephant of the Massai? Where would you start, and in fact why would you even bother. All religions are much of a muchness, sure you can worship whatever you want but as to which God had the biggest dick who the hell could ever determine or in fact why would people care? Oh no wait people actually do care about pissing contests, my bad. ;)

Religion by it's defintion is not subject to probability it is only subject to faith and you can't put a price on faith. Although I as an agnostic would price it at 0 pence exactly but there you go. ;)
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

richardtod wrote:Can someone please work out the probability that God exists?
As per my definition here: 99.9%
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9390

And as i'm sure as God inflected improbable....im_probable.

http://www.androcies.com
PHL500

Post by PHL500 »

"2. If it is possible that a maximally great being exists, then a maximally great being exists in some possible world."
Lane Craig has nothing but empty suppositions. Lets try it this way:

2. If it is possible that a maximally great unicorn exists, then a maximally great unicorn exists in some possible world.
Do you now believe in unicorns?

"God is the best explanation why anything at all exists."
Asserting that God is the BEST explanation for anything is just lazy and amateurish. That assertion doesn't make the Christian God more likely unless you also think it confirms the existence of Allah or Shiva. If Shiva, then Jesus was a just a deluded hippie, not the son of a deity. (who was created as a loophole to avoid ending up in a lake of fire)

Lane Craig makes no good points. If you think he does, its because you just are looking to confirm your Jesus bias. Its better to try living with some ambiguity instead of clinging to fables that your parents taught you. But if you do think the Bible is the word of a deity, and the best book we have, then read something like Leviticus where God lays out the rules for how to treat your slaves. I guess God was too weak to just say slavery is wrong from day one. Black people around the world are still suffering cruelly from this omission, especially in the USA.
There may really be a god of some sort, but Lane Craig presents just weak assertions and bald bias. The only way to preserve human belief in a Christian God is to indoctrinate people as children, otherwise the whole facade blows away.
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

Replace "God" with sysadmin, then we're getting closer! :P
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Maybe it does or maybe it doesn't and that's how it will remain to the end of time. Don't expect proof based on any logic to tell you...an idea only idiots would subsume as valid.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Imo yes he does indeed exist, I cursed his name and got 4 black cats send in less than 1 h!
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

What a loon.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

The body is a concept, and the various functions of manifest existence are only concepts. Hearing, reasoning and contemplating are concepts. Inquiry into the ultimate nature of one’s own existence is even a concept.

All other things are also concepts. Concepts give rise to the world, the separate souls, and God. There is nothing whatever except concepts. Everything is the Reality of the Supreme Absolute Being.

The ego or separate soul is a concept. God, the world, the mind, desires, action, sorrow and all other things are all concepts. Abiding without concepts is the undifferentiated state. It is inherence in the Supreme Being. It is wisdom. It is Liberation. It is the natural and true state. It is the Reality of the Supreme Absolute Being. It is the Supreme Formless God. If there is no concept at all, everything will be found to be the Reality of the Supreme Absolute Being.

So yeah. God is here to stay in this Conception.
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Something has to exist in order to think that nothing exists. For nothing alone cannot think that nothing exists because something has to do the thinking. And that thing is a mind. Some minds can convince themselves they do not really exist but that is not evidence of anything other than flawed thinking. Minds are limited by imagination and knowledge but within that restriction they can think any thing at all including that which
is objectively false. Like their own non existence for example. Logic dictates that something that exists can not also not exist at the same time
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

surreptitious57 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:49 am Something has to exist in order to think that nothing exists. For nothing alone cannot think that nothing exists because something has to do the thinking. And that thing is a mind. Some minds can convince themselves they do not really exist but that is not evidence of anything other than flawed thinking. Minds are limited by imagination and knowledge but within that restriction they can think any thing at all including that which
is objectively false. Like their own non existence for example. Logic dictates that something that exists can not also not exist at the same time
The mind is unreal. It is like a magic show. It is like the son of a barren woman. It is absolutely non-existent. Since there is no mind there are no concepts, no Master, no disciple, no world, no separate soul. All concepts are the Reality of the Supreme Absolutely Being.

Aka formless eternal presence.The mind is a phantom, a concept in this inconceivable conception.

surreptitious57

If nothing exists in the absolute sense then concepts cannot exist either. This obviously is not true so the notion
of everything being rooted in absolute nothing has to be false. Now the negative energy of gravity does actually
cancel out the positive energy of matter but they still exist as objective phenomena rather than as abstractions
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

There is no such thing as absolute nothing.

I’ve never said that, I’ve said there’s just everything which is not a thing.

Who or what sees/knows the ‘I’ that thinks it does the seeing and knowing? What is still there when all thought ceases? What answer can be given without reverting to thought and concepts?..

surreptitious57

Saying that everything is not a thing makes no sense because it violates the law of non contradiction
Also I do not see this I that is supposedly there when I am asleep and so I do not think it really exists
There does not have to be anything there anyway apart from matter and energy and space and time
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

surreptitious57 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:12 pm Saying that everything is not a thing makes no sense because it violates the law of non contradiction
Also I do not see this I that is supposedly there when I am asleep and so I do not think it really exists
There does not have to be anything there anyway apart from matter and energy and space and time
Saying there is no I there when you are asleep makes no sense...what does make sense is there is no “thought” of you there while asleep...the permanent I has to be there, else “thoughts” could not appear. You are confusing “thought” as being the ultimate subject...it is not. The ultimate subject is thoughtless.

Matter, energy, space, and time are concepts, they can never exist by themselves. They always need a background to support them. The background cannot be seen by the sense-organs. Names are usually given to it without it’s nature being known.

Concepts give knowledge to the unknown, aka in- formation..But who knows what form really is? There is the same ignorance regarding the background of every sense-object. The substratum of all is one and the same. Diversity is only of things perceived. The “perceiver” is not a thing and therefore cannot be the thing it perceives. The substratum remains unperceived..therefore there is no diversity in it. That is existence, that is one's self.

Surreptitious 57...you continue to divide what cannot be divided, the mind divides via conceptualising tacit reality, the divide is a mirage, it’s an illusion.

You can argue this and refute my comments all you like, but that would still be mind activity, a mental construction, an illusion....aka no thing doing it.

surreptitious57

I do not think matter and energy and time and space are concepts as they are not mind dependent and have actually existed
long before minds ever did. And time and space do not need a background to support them because they are the background