Fortune-Tellers & Causation

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Mark Question

Re: Fortune-Tellers & Causation

Post by Mark Question »

Impenitent wrote:it begs the question

-Imp
what question it begs?
Logan

Post by Logan »

Mark Question wrote:
Impenitent wrote:it begs the question

-Imp
what question it begs?
You can't use the past to predict the future because you assume that the future will be like the past just because the past was like the past of the past. It basically comes down to using the conclusion of "the future will be like the past," because the future of the past was like that past's past. It is using a conclusion as a premise. Just because every swan that you have seen is white, does not mean that all swans are white. One day you may run across a black swan and your belief will be shown to be false.
Mark Question

Post by Mark Question »

Logan wrote: You can't use the past to predict the future because you assume that the future will be like the past just because the past was like the past of the past. It basically comes down to using the conclusion of "the future will be like the past," because the future of the past was like that past's past. It is using a conclusion as a premise. Just because every swan that you have seen is white, does not mean that all swans are white. One day you may run across a black swan and your belief will be shown to be false.
why science use the past to predict the future?

can i use this?: if A("the future will be like the past just because the past was like the past of the past."), then A(""the future will be like the past," because the future of the past was like that past's past.")

i think it is not "using a conclusion as a premise." it is using an induction as a premise.
Prediction
A prediction draws a conclusion about a future individual from a past sample.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inductive_ ... Prediction

Popper held that science could not be grounded on such an invalid inference. He proposed falsification as a solution to the problem of induction.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsifiability
Hjarloprillar

Post by Hjarloprillar »

"scientific prediction would be the greatest curse laid in a person?
science is making predictions?
science is greatest curse?"

Not once did i say 'science'.
you did.

prediction is usually classified under paranormal.
Though stochastics and the intuitive collation of past and present to found a view of future in larger terms.Based on previous action and bounderies is viable.

Prediction is. in statistical terms. valid to a degree.
Many fields. the lesser being science validate some degree of prediction mostly dependent on the individual.

Often it seems to be an intuitive skill of an individual.

what say you?
Mark Question

Post by Mark Question »

Hjarloprillar wrote:"scientific prediction would be the greatest curse laid in a person?
science is making predictions?
science is greatest curse?"

Not once did i say 'science'.
you did.

prediction is usually classified under paranormal.
Though stochastics and the intuitive collation of past and present to found a view of future in larger terms.Based on previous action and bounderies is viable.

Prediction is. in statistical terms. valid to a degree.
Many fields. the lesser being science validate some degree of prediction mostly dependent on the individual.

Often it seems to be an intuitive skill of an individual.

what say you?
i say, i understood only few sentences what you say. sorry.

you say prediction, i say what about scientific prediction?
Established science makes useful predictions which are extremely reliable and accurate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prediction
scientific method is built on testing assertions which are logical consequences of scientific theories. Theories that make no testable predictions remain protosciences until testable predictions become known to the community.
http://prediction.askdefine.com/

you say: "prediction is usually classified under paranormal", i say: "people in earth are usually classified under reliqious. so what?"
non-religious 9.66%, atheists 2.01%.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_re ... opulations

google say:
storm prediction center
protein structure prediction
Hjarloprillar

Post by Hjarloprillar »

Thats ok.

If you dont understand what i said.

Your' comprehension' is so 'not of import' as to be a farce
Mark Question

Post by Mark Question »

Hjarloprillar wrote:Thats ok.

If you dont understand what i said.

Your' comprehension' is so 'not of import' as to be a farce
if you dont want to talk about it, its ok.
out of arguments is also ok.

ps. if you want to say prediction and want not to say scientific prediction then you have to be more precise. that is all it takes. you have to say what kind of prediction you are talking about.
be more precise and people will follow your thinking. :)