What Is The Meaning Of Life?

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
SpheresOfBalance
Posts: 5549
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:27 pm
Location: On a Star Dust Metamorphosis

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life?

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

jayjacobus wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:02 pm Okay, but the formation of life preceded evolution so evolution is not an answer.
I disagree, as it's the universe that has set evolution in motion, not mankind or life on planet earth!
User avatar
SpheresOfBalance
Posts: 5549
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:27 pm
Location: On a Star Dust Metamorphosis

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life?

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

surreptitious57 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:00 pm Evolution is the most rigorously supported theory in all of science and just that fact alone invalidates the
need for any alternative. Needless to say Intelligent Design has absolutely no evidence to support it at all
Evolution is simply chemistry, and chemistry is part of the physics of the universe, but one cannot know that the physics of the universe was not intelligently designed. What? We stop going back with the a theory of a singularity. Which in fact is why many astrophysicists believe in intelligent design.
jayjacobus
Posts: 965
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:45 pm

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life?

Post by jayjacobus »

=Evolution is simply chemistry, and chemistry is part of the physics of the universe, but one cannot know that the physics of the universe was not intelligently designed. What? We stop going back with the a theory of a singularity. Which in fact is why many astrophysicists believe in intelligent design.
Evolution refers to the changes in biological generations due primarily to mutations. Chemicals don’t mutate nor evolve.

Man discovererd evolution but didn't create it. Who or what did?
User avatar
SpheresOfBalance
Posts: 5549
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:27 pm
Location: On a Star Dust Metamorphosis

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life?

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

jayjacobus wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:23 pm
=Evolution is simply chemistry, and chemistry is part of the physics of the universe, but one cannot know that the physics of the universe was not intelligently designed. What? We stop going back with the a theory of a singularity. Which in fact is why many astrophysicists believe in intelligent design.
Evolution refers to the changes in biological generations due primarily to mutations. Chemicals don’t mutate nor evolve.
No chemistry caused life to exist in the first place, and is responsible for those mutations that are seemingly a mystery to you. And stars created all the elements that chemistry uses.

Man discovererd evolution but didn't create it.
No, man is currently discovering the truth of the universe, where chemistry and thus evolution are just very small parts of it's entirety.

Who or what did?
The universe, of course! As to intelligence being behind the hands of the universe, the jury is still out. And probably shall be for eons!
jayjacobus
Posts: 965
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:45 pm

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life?

Post by jayjacobus »

SpheresOfBalance wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:38 pm No chemistry caused life to exist in the first place, and is responsible for those mutations that are seemingly a mystery to you. And stars created all the elements that chemistry uses.
You're confusing the substance of life with the process that created life. Chemicals are the substance but not the process.

Put all the chemicals in the universe in a dish and you won't get life. But maybe you will if the right process is employed. But that must be a very involved process which seems unlikely without a diagram or instructions.
User avatar
bahman
Posts: 3239
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life?

Post by bahman »

The meaning of life is a conscious state. It cannot be described unless we have common experience of it. How can you tell what is love to somebody who hasn't ever experience love?
User avatar
Dominik
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:49 pm

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life?

Post by Dominik »

Hi all! I have summarized my understanding of the meaning of life in a short story "The Story of the Universe". (See e.g. http://StoryOfUniverse.com). Heavily condensed into a few words, the meaning of life is Personal Growth and Fun. But I do not want to post any spoilers here. If you wish to go beyond this over-simplification, better check out the full story. For those, who already read it: How did you like the idea?
Belinda
Posts: 4283
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:13 am

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life?

Post by Belinda »

Considering long serious novels have been addressing this theme since the eighteenth century why should I read a short story by somebody who has not even been paid by a respected publisher?
Belinda
Posts: 4283
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:13 am

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life?

Post by Belinda »

Bahman wrote:
The meaning of life is a conscious state. It cannot be described unless we have common experience of it. How can you tell what is love to somebody who hasn't ever experience love?
The arts mostly exist for this purpose. I.e. for enlarging people's consciousness.To put it another way, the arts exist to awaken people to ideas and feelings they would not otherwise experience.
Post Reply