What Is The Meaning Of Life?

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

surreptitious57

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life?

Post by surreptitious57 »

Evolution is the most rigorously supported theory in all of science and just that fact alone invalidates the
need for any alternative. Needless to say Intelligent Design has absolutely no evidence to support it at all
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

Okay, but the formation of life preceded evolution so evolution is not an answer.
surreptitious57

Evolution is not an answer to the meaning of life but nothing is because there is no meaning to life. All life is is a process
that emerged from randomness. A process that began with physics and then chemistry and then biology. So it is wrong to
think of it in isolation to everything else. It is not that at all. Rather it is a logical step in the complex chain of existence
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:32 pm The meaning of life is a poorly articulated question made up by immature philosophers.

You cannot correctly answer a poorly formed question.

The correct question is.

"Is life created with a purpose, or did it happen by just chance/luck or dumb nature?"

"And if it is created with a purpose, what what the purpose behind it?"

"If it was created by just dumb luck or whatever, then what are the scientific causes of how it occured? And what comes next? And if it is dumb luck, why does pleasure of the organism just so happen correlate with pleasure of the consciousness?"
Consider the virtual infinity of galaxies and all the suns and planets that comprise them Did they all arise by accident? Of course not.

The first question cannot be purpose but rather if their is a conscious source within which the process of existence takes place. Secularism must deny the question since to admit it questions the supremacy of secularism as the source of meaning.

The only people who can seriously contemplate universal purpose must begin with a conscious source responsible for universal laws which cannot arise accidentally. Without beginning with a conscious source there is no conscious purpose resulting in intelligent design.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

surreptitious57 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:25 pm I am an absurdist so do not think there is any objective meaning to life only the subjective meaning one gives to their own life
You are born you live you die and then you stay dead forever. That is the basic mechanics of it. And as far as God is concerned
I do not think he actually exists but given as I am an apatheist it makes absolutely no difference to me whether or not he does
That doesn't make any sense though. If people are born die and then stay dead forever, how come there are multiple people in different bodies. its like, if they stay dead forever, then only one of their lives is real, ie. solipism. otherwise why is one more valid than the other one.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Nick wrote:
The first question cannot be purpose but rather if their is a conscious source within which the process of existence takes place. Secularism must deny the question since to admit it questions the supremacy of secularism as the source of meaning.
I begin to regret that I agreed with one of your recent posts. Your main theme is insulting, stunted,and inadequate.
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

Perhaps we are being manipulated and don't know why or we are not being manipulated and the circumstantial evidence is misleading. We don't know.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Belinda wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:36 am Nick wrote:
I begin to regret that I agreed with one of your recent posts. Your main theme is insulting, stunted,and inadequate.
You can follow the path of guidance by insult. It is dominant in seculr society. However there are a minority who seek to transcend the benefits of insult for the sake of truth.

Newton's first law of motion is often stated as. An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.

If we begin with nothing but potential, what is this non existing unbalanced force which produces something? It may be an insulting question but that doesn't negate its value.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

No, Nick. You continually insult what you call "secularists". Your evidence is inadequate and your vision is limited, possibly because your mystical theory shelters your ego. You are unable to look to who exactly your theory serves.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Belinda wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:41 pm No, Nick. You continually insult what you call "secularists". Your evidence is inadequate and your vision is limited, possibly because your mystical theory shelters your ego. You are unable to look to who exactly your theory serves.

You are thinking like a classic progressive which is why for you the meaning of life can only be contemplated within the limitations of worldly secularism. That is why progressives are governed by insult. Whatever questions secular supremacy is considered insulting. Malcolm Muggeridge expressed it well
“One of the great weaknesses of the progressive, as distinct from the religious, mind, is that it has no awareness of truth as such; only of truth in terms of enlightened expediency”. Malcolm Muggeridge Through the Microphone (1969)

The open minded attitude necessary to experience the quality of psychological truth that satisfies the heartfelt need for truth is sacrificed to egoistic self justification expressed through insult. Progressives are always insulted because their agenda keeps them them narrow minded.

Insult doesn’t exist. The cause of insult as a reaction to the imaginary is within you. A person can only intend to insult and another may have a weak ego and be affected by the intent and become insulted. But only a weak ego caught up in small things enables it. The advanced religious mind made aware of the human condition and the suffering it causes in the world is not insulted. Only narrow minded people are.
surreptitious57

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
I am an absurdist so do not think there is any objective meaning to life only the subjective meaning one gives to their own life
You are born you live you die and then you stay dead forever. That is the basic mechanics of it. And as far as God is concerned
I do not think he actually exists but given as I am an apatheist it makes absolutely no difference to me whether or not he does
That doesnt make any sense though. If people are born die and then stay dead forever how come there are multiple people in different
bodies its like if they stay dead forever then only one of their lives is real ie. solipism. otherwise why is one more valid than the other one
There are multiple personalities within the same body not multiple people so each personality is a different manifestation of the same person
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Nick_A wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:50 pm
Belinda wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:41 pm No, Nick. You continually insult what you call "secularists". Your evidence is inadequate and your vision is limited, possibly because your mystical theory shelters your ego. You are unable to look to who exactly your theory serves.
You are thinking like a classic progressive which is why for you the meaning of life can only be contemplated within the limitations of worldly secularism. That is why progressives are governed by insult. Whatever questions secular supremacy is considered insulting. Malcolm Muggeridge expressed it well
“One of the great weaknesses of the progressive, as distinct from the religious, mind, is that it has no awareness of truth as such; only of truth in terms of enlightened expediency”. Malcolm Muggeridge Through the Microphone (1969)
Muggeridge was wrong. If by "the progressive mind" he meant the scientific attitude, then its stance on truth is that absolute truth is unobtainable and all claims must be subjected to sceptical examination. Muggeridge was a religious person not a scientist not even a professional philosopher.

The open minded attitude necessary to experience the quality of psychological truth that satisfies the heartfelt need for truth is sacrificed to egoistic self justification expressed through insult. Progressives are always insulted because their agenda keeps them them narrow minded.

Insult doesn’t exist. The cause of insult as a reaction to the imaginary is within you. A person can only intend to insult and another may have a weak ego and be affected by the intent and become insulted. But only a weak ego caught up in small things enables it. The advanced religious mind made aware of the human condition and the suffering it causes in the world is not insulted. Only narrow minded people are.
But your brand of mystic appears to serve only its own selves. This alone if nothing else should make you question it.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Great and Wise Trixie wrote;
There are multiple personalities within the same body not multiple people so each personality is a different manifestation of the same person
Not a philosophical but a psychological opinion and none the less interesting for that. I say so because the study of personality is an interesting part of academic psychology. I am not good at psychology and I can say no more. If anybody here knows of a psychology book about personality, some popular but academically verified work, Trixie may be interested I would be.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Belinda
Muggeridge was wrong. If by "the progressive mind" he meant the scientific attitude, then its stance on truth is that absolute truth is unobtainable and all claims must be subjected to sceptical examination. Muggeridge was a religious person not a scientist not even a professional philosopher.
Muggeridge was a communist who became Christian. Progressivism uses selective truths to further its agenda. That isn’t science but rather salesmanship
“People do not believe lies because they have to, but because they want to” ― Malcolm Muggeridge
Progressives want to believe fantasy so the fact that the human condition prevents its goals is unimportant. They want to believe the lie and will sacrifice anything of value to defend the lie. That isn't philosophy but egoistic intellectual stupidity.
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

One concept in the debate, that is rarely mentioned but is pertinent, is spiritualism. Many people, I suspect, have had a spiritual experience. I define a spiritual experience as a waking dream with deep meaning. Logic and science are not overwhelmed by spiritual experiences but they leave the door open to an unknowable intelligence.