Meanings of morality, ethics, good and evil, right and wrong

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

Meanings of morality, ethics, good and evil, right and wrong

Post by bahman »

Morality is defined as principles concerning the distinction between good and evil, right and wrong.
Ethics is defined as moral principles that conduct (to do right and avoid wrong) a person's behaviour (good or evil).
Right in this context is defined as what we should do.
Wrong in this context is defined as what we should avoid doing.
Good is defined as an attribute of thought (answer for example) and feeling (pleasure).
Evil is defined as an attribute of thought (question for example) and feeling (pain).
Terrapin Station

Re: Meanings of morality, ethics, good and evil, right and wrong

Post by Terrapin Station »

In other words, you're telling us your personal definitions?

Post by Age »

Terrapin Station wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:12 am In other words, you're telling us your personal definitions?
Well that is all anyone can really do.

Or, do you believe that it is possible for you, or someone else, to be able to tell us thee one and only, absolute, and/or objective definitions?

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:06 am Morality is defined as principles concerning the distinction between good and evil, right and wrong.
Ethics is defined as moral principles that conduct (to do right and avoid wrong) a person's behaviour (good or evil).
Should you be expressing YOUR definitions as though they are the one and only absolute, objective definitions?

Your Truly Honest answer here would be much appreciated.
bahman wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:06 am Wrong in this context is defined as what we should avoid doing.
Good is defined as an attribute of thought (answer for example) and feeling (pleasure).
Evil is defined as an attribute of thought (question for example) and feeling (pain).
Do you think or believe that these definitions fit in EXACTLY with thee One and ONLY ACTUAL Truth of 'things'?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Terrapin Station wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:12 am In other words, you're telling us your personal definitions?
I am refining google translation for the future purpose. People think that evil is wrong and good is right. I am making the distinctions between these and I think that that is useful. Evil can be right and good can be wrong depending on the situation.
Terrapin Station

bahman wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:26 am
I am refining google translation for the future purpose. People think that evil is wrong and good is right. I am making the distinctions between these and I think that that is useful. Evil can be right and good can be wrong depending on the situation.
Google translation?
Terrapin Station

Ah, you mean Google definitions? I see that the first two terms are defined in Google as you listed. (Although ethics, without the editorializing from you, would instead be "moral principles that govern a person's behavior or the conducting of an activity." )

But then those do not seem to be Google's definitions of "right," etc.
Last edited by Terrapin Station on Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:18 am
bahman wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:06 am Morality is defined as principles concerning the distinction between good and evil, right and wrong.
Should you be expressing YOUR definitions as though they are the one and only absolute, objective definitions?

bahman wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:06 am Wrong in this context is defined as what we should avoid doing.
Do you think or believe that these definitions fit in EXACTLY with thee One and ONLY ACTUAL Truth of 'things'?
The definition is purpose dependent therefore it is not objective. It is through the right definition that we could know the truth.
Terrapin Station

There aren't right definitions, just more or less common/conventional definitions.
Terrapin Station

I don't know what Google's source is for their definitions, but I'm not a fan of defining morality as necessarily being about principles. Also, framing it as principles of a distinction between good and evil is off-track in my view. It's rather just dispositions about the acceptability and recommendability of interpersonal behavior (that one considers more significant than etiquette). "Good" is a term for the disposition that the interpersonal behavior in question is not only acceptable but recommendable. "Evil" is a term for an extreme-end disposition of behavior being unacceptable.

Post by Age »

Terrapin Station wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:37 am There aren't right definitions, just more or less common/conventional definitions.
More or less "common/conventional" definitions to WHO, EXACTLY?

For example, what is the "common/conventional" definition for the words;

'Philosophy',
'Argue',
'Education',
'Intelligence',
'Intellect', and
'Paradox'.

Also, you saying there are NOT right definitions, is EXTREMELY humorous to hear. Especially considering the WAY that you write.

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:35 am
Age wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:18 am

The definition is purpose dependent therefore it is not objective.
And the definitions you gave above here, in this thread, are purpose dependent on WHAT, EXACTLY?
bahman wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:35 am It is through the right definition that we could know the truth.
Does this mean that if you do NOT YET KNOW the truth, then you do NOT YET have the right definition/s?

By the way, in WHAT 'context' are you using the 'right' word here, EXACTLY?

Is it in the SAME 'context' as above where YOU define 'right' as what we should do?

Post by Age »

Terrapin Station wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:44 am I don't know what Google's source is for their definitions, but I'm not a fan of defining morality as necessarily being about principles. Also, framing it as principles of a distinction between good and evil is off-track in my view. It's rather just dispositions about the acceptability and recommendability of interpersonal behavior (that one considers more significant than etiquette). "Good" is a term for the disposition that the interpersonal behavior in question is not only acceptable but recommendable. "Evil" is a term for an extreme-end disposition of behavior being unacceptable.
In other words, you are just telling us your own personal definitions, correct?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Terrapin Station wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:34 am Ah, you mean Google definitions? I see that the first two terms are defined in Google as you listed. (Although ethics, without the editorializing from you, would instead be "moral principles that govern a person's behavior or the conducting of an activity." )

But then those do not seem to be Google's definitions of "right," etc.
Oh yes, my bad. I mean google definitions. As I said I defined the rest for sake of future discussion. Right for example is context related.

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:26 am People think that evil is wrong and good is right.
Is this what ALL people ACTUALLY think? Or, is this just what you think is true?
bahman wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:26 am I am making the distinctions between these and I think that that is useful.
WHERE, and HOW, EXACTLY are you, supposedly and allegedly, making the distinctions between the two? (Especially considering what you wrote below here, in this post).

And, you think that making the distinction is 'useful' for 'what', EXACTLY?
bahman wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:26 am Evil can be right and good can be wrong depending on the situation.
Will you provide some examples of these? On first glance I can NOT think of ANY situation where this could be true.