Meanings of morality, ethics, good and evil, right and wrong

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Re: Meanings of morality, ethics, good and evil, right and wrong

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:23 pm
Age wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:58 am
bahman wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:26 am People think that evil is wrong and good is right.
Is this what ALL people ACTUALLY think? Or, is this just what you think is true?
Yes. For example, think of Christian.
ONCE AGAIN, I give you a choice out of two options and which one is right to you, but you respond with a "Yes", response. Which is OBVIOUSLY totally nonsensical.
bahman wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:26 am I am making the distinctions between these and I think that that is useful.
WHERE, and HOW, EXACTLY are you, supposedly and allegedly, making the distinctions between the two? (Especially considering what you wrote below here, in this post).

And, you think that making the distinction is 'useful' for 'what', EXACTLY?
I gave the explanation in the following.
bahman wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:26 am Evil can be right and good can be wrong depending on the situation.
Will you provide some examples of these? On first glance I can NOT think of ANY situation where this could be true.
Suppose that you have a son and he breaks the glass of windows. This is wrong.
This is NOT necessarily wrong AT ALL.
bahman wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:23 pmThe question is what you are going to do. There are two options: Good or Evil act from you. You of course are not going by a good approach, confirming his action and giving him pleasure. Instead, you question his action which is evil (that makes him feel mental suffering). So here we are dealing with a situation that good is wrong and evil is right.
YOUR PRESUMPTION about what I would "of course" do is ABSURD, in the least, so the rest is moot.

Again, you are just here writing ANY old nonsense. This is because you are just 'trying to' back up and justify your current BELIEFS.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:31 pm
bahman wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:08 pm
Age wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:50 am
And the definitions you gave above here, in this thread, are purpose dependent on WHAT, EXACTLY?
I am going to post a new thread about morality so I need these definitions beforehand.
So, what happens if someone does not read this thread?
I give the reference to this thread from another thread.
Age wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:31 pm How are the 'purpose dependent definitions' here, in this thread, going to be related to the thread, which is 'purpose dependent' upon this thread?
You need the definition of the word you use in an argument. So here you go.
bahman wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:08 pm
Age wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:18 am
Does this mean that if you do NOT YET KNOW the truth, then you do NOT YET have the right definition/s?

By the way, in WHAT 'context' are you using the 'right' word here, EXACTLY?

Is it in the SAME 'context' as above where YOU define 'right' as what we should do?
The truth is a set of propositions that are true.
In relation to 'what', EXACTLY?
Reality.
bahman wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:08 pm Propositions are made of words. So we need the right definition to reach the truth and agree upon it.
Agreed. But because your decisions above here do NOT reach thee ACTUAL Truth, your definitions here are NOT 'right', correct?
By right I mean the proper in here. Something which can help you to make an argument.
Age wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:31 pm Also, you did NOT clarify how you are using the 'right' word here.
I will in another thread.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:21 pm
Is this what ALL people ACTUALLY think? Or, is this just what you think is true?
Yes. For example, think of Christian.
ONCE AGAIN, I give you a choice out of two options and which one is right to you, but you respond with a "Yes", response. Which is OBVIOUSLY totally nonsensical.
Of course, I am not always thinking that evil is bad.
Age wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:21 pm
Age wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:58 am WHERE, and HOW, EXACTLY are you, supposedly and allegedly, making the distinctions between the two? (Especially considering what you wrote below here, in this post).

And, you think that making the distinction is 'useful' for 'what', EXACTLY?
I gave the explanation in the following.

Will you provide some examples of these? On first glance I can NOT think of ANY situation where this could be true.
Suppose that you have a son and he breaks the glass of windows. This is wrong.
This is NOT necessarily wrong AT ALL.
Why not? What if you are in the middle of winter and the outside is freezing cold.
bahman wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:23 pmThe question is what you are going to do. There are two options: Good or Evil act from you. You of course are not going by a good approach, confirming his action and giving him pleasure. Instead, you question his action which is evil (that makes him feel mental suffering). So here we are dealing with a situation that good is wrong and evil is right.
YOUR PRESUMPTION about what I would "of course" do is ABSURD, in the least, so the rest is moot.

Again, you are just here writing ANY old nonsense. This is because you are just 'trying to' back up and justify your current BELIEFS.
So breaking windows is right?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

bahman,

Try pretending that Age’s statements are correct. It becomes a matter of a what-if exercise. Then you and Age may be able to advance the topic together.
bahman

Post by bahman »

commonsense wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:56 pm bahman,

Try pretending that Age’s statements are correct. It becomes a matter of a what-if exercise. Then you and Age may be able to advance the topic together.
Oh, thanks. I always try my best to do that. I don't understand why age stopped.