"Bad word" and what it's actually is

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

cicero117

"Bad word" and what it's actually is

Post by cicero117 »

How do people determine that a word is considered "bad", or rather, who determines it in the first place?

Is it possible to invent a word and deems it as a bad word?
Does a bad word need to went through episodes of negativity in it's use for it to marked as a bad word?

But consider this, sometimes people uses a bad word to show positivity and eagerness.

For example;
- I am f*cking happy!

On the contrary, people could also say;
- F*ck you!

Both uses the same word but has a different meaning altogether

Ideas?
commonsense

Re: "Bad word" and what it's actually is

Post by commonsense »

cicero117 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:23 am How do people determine that a word is considered "bad", or rather, who determines it in the first place?

Does a bad word need to went through episodes of negativity in it's use for it to marked as a bad word?

But consider this, sometimes people uses a bad word to show positivity and eagerness.

For example;
- I am f*cking happy!

- F*ck you!

Ideas?
I’m going to take it that you’re talking about words that are vulgar or that are so called dirty words. If I am wrong, please let me know.

It’s the usage—how it is intended, how it is received and interpreted along with the meaning of any non-verbal communication that accompanies it—that determines whether a word or phrase is beneath social standards or not.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=cicero117 post_id=484252 time=1607656991 user_id=19367]
How do people determine that a word is considered "bad", or rather, who determines it in the first place?

For example;
- I am f*cking happy!

- F*ck you!

Ideas?
[/quote]

It's entirely feels based and explicitly irrational.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

words aren't bad- intentions are

-Imp
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

Impenitent wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:01 pm words aren't bad- intentions are

-Imp
Which is why all of the pc/SJW/etc. language conventions are screwed up. People don't have negative intentions, negative attitudes, etc. just because they used particular words, and it's not the case that they don't have negative intentions, negative attitudes just because they avoided those particular words.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:00 am
Impenitent wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:01 pm words aren't bad- intentions are

-Imp
Which is why all of the pc/SJW/etc. language conventions are screwed up. People don't have negative intentions, negative attitudes, etc. just because they used particular words, and it's not the case that they don't have negative intentions, negative attitudes just because they avoided those particular words.
Agree. Intention is key. Exception: if the only connotation of a word is derogatory, such as the n word, then the word is intrinsically bad. The intention to utilize a derogatory word is a bad intention.
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

commonsense wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:01 pm Agree. Intention is key. Exception: if the only connotation of a word is derogatory, such as the n word, then the word is intrinsically bad. The intention to utilize a derogatory word is a bad intention.
The problem is that there are no words with a single connotation. It always hinges on how someone thinks about it, and individuals can think about the same words in all sorts of ways. So there are no words that are intrinsically bad.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=commonsense post_id=503791 time=1616515285 user_id=14610]
Agree. Intention is key. Exception: if the only connotation of a word is derogatory, such as the n word, then the word is intrinsically bad. The intention to utilize a derogatory word is a bad intention.
[/quote]

That's not the only connotation to me, my n*****. So it's not a necessarily bad word when i say it.

edit: Censoring words that are not inherently bad, on the other hand ^^^^ is evil as fuck.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Advocate wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:39 pm
commonsense wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:01 pm Agree. Intention is key. Exception: if the only connotation of a word is derogatory, such as the n word, then the word is intrinsically bad. The intention to utilize a derogatory word is a bad intention.
That's not the only connotation to me, my n*****. So it's not a necessarily bad word when i say it.

edit: Censoring words that are not inherently bad, on the other hand ^^^^ is evil as fuck.
What non-derogatory connotations do you have of the n word? I can’t think of any, so I’m curious about yours.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=commonsense post_id=503922 time=1616543129 user_id=14610]
[quote=Advocate post_id=503843 time=1616524783 user_id=15238]
[quote=commonsense post_id=503791 time=1616515285 user_id=14610]
[/quote]

[/quote]

What non-derogatory connotations do you have of the n word? I can’t think of any, so I’m curious about yours.
[/quote]

I just gave an example. ^^^^ It's equivalent to buddy, pal, dude, friend, etc. That use is common.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Advocate wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:48 am
commonsense wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:45 am
Advocate wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:39 pm

I just gave an example. ^^^^ It's equivalent to buddy, pal, dude, friend, etc. That use is common.
I have to admit that my bias led me to think of the word if used by a Caucasian. My sincere apologies to you.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=commonsense post_id=503925 time=1616543661 user_id=14610]
[quote=Advocate post_id=503923 time=1616543305 user_id=15238]
[quote=commonsense post_id=503922 time=1616543129 user_id=14610]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I have to admit that my bias led me to think of the word if used by a Caucasian. My sincere apologies to you.
[/quote]

I am one, and that's irrelevant. I get to choose what i mean by my words.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Advocate wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:00 am
commonsense wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:54 am
Advocate wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:48 am

It’s very relevant. A white person can only use the n word in a derisive fashion.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=commonsense post_id=503927 time=1616544382 user_id=14610]
[quote=Advocate post_id=503926 time=1616544002 user_id=15238]
[quote=commonsense post_id=503925 time=1616543661 user_id=14610]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It’s very relevant. A white person can only use the n word in a derisive fashion.
[/quote]

That's racist.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Advocate wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:26 am
commonsense wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:06 am
Advocate wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:00 am

That's racist.
Yes. It’s called racial bias. So you agree that the n word is a bad word when used by a white?