Unproven assumptions

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick
Posts: 749
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 am

Re: Unproven assumptions

Post by Skepdick » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:04 am

-1- wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:14 pm
never ask a question you yourself can't answer.
Except I can.

Unless you are conflating evidence and proof, it is a meaningless notion outside of deductive systems.

In a deductive context a proof is (ostensively) just a computer program. Certainly a philosophical anti-climax.

Would be a shame if you had to contrive a different use for the word "proof" just to keep the mystery alive.
-1- wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:12 pm
How would you go about proving that today is Friday? By pointing at a calendar.
So, an appeal to authority is what you deem as "proof" then?

Some people point at calendars. Some people reform them

User avatar
-1-
Posts: 2765
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:08 am

Re: Unproven assumptions

Post by -1- » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:30 am

Skepdick wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:04 am
Logic, you are an incorrigible blubbering dunderhead. Do humanity a favour: do shut up and stay that way.

Skepdick
Posts: 749
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 am

Re: Unproven assumptions

Post by Skepdick » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:31 am

-1- wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:30 am
Logic, you are an incorrigible blubbering dunderhead. Do humanity a favour: do shut up and stay that way.
I am doing humanity a favour. I am doing science, not philosophy.

User avatar
-1-
Posts: 2765
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:08 am

Re: Unproven assumptions

Post by -1- » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:40 am

Skepdick wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:31 am
-1- wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:30 am
Logic, you are an incorrigible blubbering dunderhead. Do humanity a favour: do shut up and stay that way.
I am doing humanity a favour. I am doing science, not philosophy.
Well, whatever. Just do it quietly, please. Shhh.

Skepdick
Posts: 749
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 am

Re: Unproven assumptions

Post by Skepdick » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:49 am

-1- wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:40 am
Well, whatever. Just do it quietly, please. Shhh.
I'll follow philosophy's lead.

duszek
Posts: 2250
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:27 pm
Location: Thin Air

Re: Unproven assumptions

Post by duszek » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:55 pm

When I said "unproven assumptions" I wanted to stress one characteristic of them which seemed important to me to point out in this context.

We could try to formulate more precisely:

let´s look for assumptions in sentences or utterances, which are by the way by definition unproven.

There.

Are assumptions something that we take for granted in order to proceed in an argument more swiftly ?

Impenitent
Posts: 2293
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Unproven assumptions

Post by Impenitent » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:59 pm

duszek wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:55 pm
When I said "unproven assumptions" I wanted to stress one characteristic of them which seemed important to me to point out in this context.

We could try to formulate more precisely:

let´s look for assumptions in sentences or utterances, which are by the way by definition unproven.

There.

Are assumptions something that we take for granted in order to proceed in an argument more swiftly ?
swiftly? no... assumptions hold existence together...

there is no guarantee that future events will even occur or that they will resemble past events...

-Imp

Walker
Posts: 6688
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Unproven assumptions

Post by Walker » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:53 pm

duszek wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:00 pm
Walker

You sound very enigmatic to me.
Don’t you think that enigmatic is more a matter of inference than implication?

duszek
Posts: 2250
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:27 pm
Location: Thin Air

Re: Unproven assumptions

Post by duszek » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:17 pm

Impenitent wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:59 pm

swiftly? no... assumptions hold existence together...

there is no guarantee that future events will even occur or that they will resemble past events...

-Imp
Yes, Mr Imp.
We assume things to be in a certain way in the world.
We make these assumptions in our minds, even if we don´t express them as such.

What I was interested in when I started this topic were assumption as they appear in our written or spoken statements.

duszek
Posts: 2250
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:27 pm
Location: Thin Air

Re: Unproven assumptions

Post by duszek » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:20 pm

Walker wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:53 pm
duszek wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:00 pm
Walker

You sound very enigmatic to me.
Don’t you think that enigmatic is more a matter of inference than implication?
Who infers what ?
Who implies what ?

Your statement sounds like an allusion to me, not like a general statement about concepts.

Have I inferred or implied something incorrectly ?

Impenitent
Posts: 2293
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Unproven assumptions

Post by Impenitent » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:23 am

duszek wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:17 pm
Impenitent wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:59 pm

swiftly? no... assumptions hold existence together...

there is no guarantee that future events will even occur or that they will resemble past events...

-Imp
Yes, Mr Imp.
We assume things to be in a certain way in the world.
We make these assumptions in our minds, even if we don´t express them as such.

What I was interested in when I started this topic were assumption as they appear in our written or spoken statements.
when one uses language, one assumes that the terms one uses have the same meaning for the author as the audience...

-Imp

Walker
Posts: 6688
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Unproven assumptions

Post by Walker » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:45 am

duszek wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:20 pm
Walker wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:53 pm
duszek wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:00 pm
Walker

You sound very enigmatic to me.
Don’t you think that enigmatic is more a matter of inference than implication?
Who infers what ?
Who implies what ?

Your statement sounds like an allusion to me, not like a general statement about concepts.

Have I inferred or implied something incorrectly ?
Inference requires interpretation. Implication requires projection. The interpreted and projected are meanings. These guidelines are the basis for communicating a meaningful answer to the question.

User avatar
Eodnhoj7
Posts: 3765
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:18 am

Re: Unproven assumptions

Post by Eodnhoj7 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:37 pm

duszek wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:37 pm
It seems to me that most of what we say if full of unproven assumptions.

The sentence I have just written does not assume anything because of the introduction unit "it seems to me".

The second sentence I have just written does not assume anything either, because it is purely analytical.
Or do you see any assumption in it of any kind ?
Please be as intransigant as Descartes.
Self-negating argument as proof is an unproven assumption.

Justintruth
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:10 pm

Re: Unproven assumptions

Post by Justintruth » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:49 am

duszek wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:37 pm
It seems to me that most of what we say if full of unproven assumptions.

The sentence I have just written does not assume anything because of the introduction unit "it seems to me".

The second sentence I have just written does not assume anything either, because it is purely analytical.
Or do you see any assumption in it of any kind ?
Please be as intransigant as Descartes.
The second sentence assumes that if a sentence has a phrase "it seems to me" prepended on a statement then that sentence does not assume anything.
The second sentence also assumes that the "if" was a spelling error and "is" was meant.

Am I right?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest